Would you cash in on Given?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

we shouldn't be cashing in on any players to finance spending, when we have spent next to nowt anyway.

Such actions will be a total disgrace if they come about.

Sell Given ? Give over man.

If anything, he needs to make a big statement in this window, not just to stave off relegation, but to persuade Owen and Given to sign new contracts for starters.

Both Owen and Given are already very well paid at Newcastle and very highly regarded as senior pros. Owen has been offered a new contract which he has declined to accept. Shay is committed to Newcastle (on paper) for another couple of years.

If either of them feel like jumping ship they should be encouraged to f*** off ASAP as far as I'm concerned.

Don't want to stay guys? f***...RIGHT...OFF.

we got the best out of bernard by saying "nah"

my guess is that owen will stay till the summer and see what happens...we may be his best offer,not just financially.

don't know about given...looked totally pissed off after the whistle t'other day. hope the club makes him want to stay by its actions in january.

we shouldn't be cashing in on any players to finance spending, when we have spent next to nowt anyway.

If anything, he needs to make a big statement in this window, not just to stave off relegation, but to persuade Owen and Given to sign new contracts for starters.

Both Owen and Given are already very well paid at Newcastle and very highly regarded as senior pros. Owen has been offered a new contract which he has declined to accept. Shay is committed to Newcastle (on paper) for another couple of years.

If either of them feel like jumping ship they should be encouraged to f*** off ASAP as far as I'm concerned.

Telling Given to fuck off after 10 yrs is a bit harsh like

Telling Given to f*** off after 10 yrs is a bit harsh like

may well be the other way around

Krul is unproven and Harper isnt anywhere near as good as Given

Disagree - Harper is a better keeper at marshalling his defenders and steadier when going for crosses ; Given is a better reaction keeper, but has been beaten at long range far too often over the past 2 seasons.

Having said that, I stick to my earlier post when I said he deserves a crack at at top club if one comes in for him ; he won't win anything at NUFC.

Saying that, remember when he threw a hissy-fit the first time Harper had a spell in the team and handed in a transfer request?

different though. a lot younger etc. i was genuinely shocked (though not too surprised) at his reaction post whistle. hope it was a hissy fit or the club ,as i said earlier, does enough in january to make him want to stay. if not he's a points winner with at least 3-5 good years ahead.......£12mill minimum

I fail to see what is wrong with Harper and Krul?

Harper is older than Given, Krul is unproven anywhere but the SPL which is about league 1 level at best (apart from the Old Firm).

On the ONE occasion we have fielded Krul competatively he has looked class, need to send him out on loan to the Championship to see if he can really do it before chancing him in the Premier League.

FYP

That's why we have Harper as backup :)

So you are willing to sell Shay, to field an unproven youngster, and if he happens to not be good enough we can fall back on Harper who is older than Shay, and who is kept out of the team at this moment in time by Shay. Wierd logic that is!

No it isn't - Harper isn't much older than Given, and keepers go on until their late 30s - if the sale of Given allows the club to strengthen in the areas it is so obviously weak(such as midfield and up front), then it makes sense to sell ; relegation may be something the board of NUFC deserve, but I'm sure that you, as a fan, don't want to start visiting the glamour spots of the Fizzy League....

Back in the 60s, Joe Harvey got slaughtered for selling Alan Suddick(a really talented player, but a bit of a luxury when NUFC were struggling against relegation), but he bought 3 new players with the money who kept Newcastle up ; within 3 years, they went on to win the Fairs Cup.........

I would be gutted to see Shay go, but at the same time I would feel comfortable having Harper in goal for the rest of the season if (and only IF) we got good money for Shay and reinvested every penny, plus more, on new players in the positions we need.

If it was a case like with Milner, where Ashley just pocketed the money, then it would be completely senseless.

if he wants to go and there's decent money being offered we've gotta do it for him and for us, harper is a very good keeper and if we could loan a couple of arsenal players plus $ as part of the deal to reinvest, or get a part ex and money as part of the deal it has be on?

love shay to bits but at the end of the day our survival in the league is most important

Nah. Not even for a ridiculous fee. The negative image that would result from selling one of our only "world class" players would far outweigh the amount of good that would ulyimately come from the money.

If I had faith in our ability to spend the money well and a bid of say £13 million came in, then obviously I'd reconsider that perspective, but the reality is that I don't, and therefore I won't. Every time we step into the transfer market we seem to be rolling hard six after hard six, and the odds of the money being well-spent would be far too extortionate for the risk to be worthwhile.

Good Keepers are like gold dust these days under no cicumstances do you let Given go, and if he is sold to raise funds for us to buy chapionship players its a statement of intent to where we are heading.

Ashleys need to get his wallet out and spend and show us his intentions that way, not by selling are best players so we can buy sh!t

:rant:

Disagree - Harper is a better keeper at marshalling his defenders and steadier when going for crosses ; Given is a better reaction keeper, but has been beaten at long range far too often over the past 2 seasons.

Where as Harper gets beat from inside the other half.

:jesuswept:

<b>Good Keepers are like gold dust these days</b> under no cicumstances do you let Given go, and if he is sold to raise funds for us to buy chapionship players its a statement of intent to where we are heading.

I don't think that's true at all. Good goalkeepers are ten a penny, outstanding goalkeepers are a little more difficult to find but if you have a decent defence you shouldn't really need one of those anyway. People seem to think that we'll get relegated if Shay goes - i say bollocks! Shay produces a number of unbelievable saves every game because the oposition are allowed to have too many shots on goal. Improvements in midfield and a stronger defence would make us more resiliant so we wouldn't have to rely on our goalkeeper so much.

IMO Shay is one of the best shotstoppers and reactional goalkeepers in the world but he isn't the complete package.

If either of them feel like jumping ship they should be encouraged to fuck off ASAP as far as I'm concerned.

Don't want to stay guys? FUCK...RIGHT...OFF.

you totally miss the point, which I continue to find pretty amazing and not just with you.....the point is that we ought to have a club where people don't want to leave for career reasons.

This is like stepping back in time. Was it really all those years ago ........

OMG I agree with NE5. I think I need a glass of red wine!

I'll share it with you and tell you some more common sense as always  ;D

Guest The Libertine

If either of them feel like jumping ship they should be encouraged to fuck off ASAP as far as I'm concerned.

you totally miss the point, which I continue to find pretty amazing and not just with you.....the point is that we ought to have a club where people don't want to leave for career reasons.

if we'd won some trophies under the fat man and the addams family he wouldnt want to leave. this is the tip of the iceberg for him and a knock on effect from the souness appointment imho.

if we'd won some trophies under the fat man and the addams family he wouldnt want to leave. this is the tip of the iceberg for him and a knock on effect from the souness appointment imho.

2 FA Cup Finals [edit: although he was dropped in favour of Harper for one] and playing in the Champs League and europe isn't to be sniffed at though. Of course I agree the appointment of Souness was a terrible appointment and I said this at the time despite many others saying he would turn into the new Alex Ferguson just for weeding out the "cancers" because Alex Ferguson had done the same.

Its only lately that Given has appeared to become disollusioned though. Or is he ? Owen is a different kettle of fish. He will basically move for football reasons if a club with some ambition makes a move for him.

2 FA Cup Finals and playing in the Champs League and europe isn't to be sniffed at though. Of course I agree the appointment of Souness was a terrible appointment and I said this at the time despite many others saying he would turn into the new Alex Ferguson just for weeding out the "cancers" because Alex Ferguson had done the same.

Its only lately that Given has appeared to become disollusioned though. Or is he ? Owen is a different kettle of fish. He will basically move for football reasons if a club with some ambition makes a move for him.

givens put up with his fair share of shit in his 11 years at the club and i don't think the last year, never mind the last game can be considered in isolation from the other decade if he DOES want to leave

maybe he's just heard arsenal or whoever are interested & fancies a change/chance to win something

2 FA Cup Finals and playing in the Champs League and europe isn't to be sniffed at though. Of course I agree the appointment of Souness was a terrible appointment and I said this at the time despite many others saying he would turn into the new Alex Ferguson just for weeding out the "cancers" because Alex Ferguson had done the same.

givens put up with his fair share of shit in his 11 years at the club and i don't think the last year, never mind the last game can be considered in isolation from the other decade if he DOES want to leave

maybe he's just heard arsenal or whoever are interested & fancies a change/chance to win something

I wouldn't blame him for that, but players like Rob Lee, Gary Speed - to name 2 who weren't Geordies [which would have been even worse] - never felt like that even up to the day they left.

ONCE - and he slipped ; I've heard of nit-picking, but this beats the band....