Looks like Shay is on his way

Dave

Everyone is accepting the fact he deserves to leave and go on to bigger and better things.

Personally I'd love to see him go to Arsenal. That said as soon as it was mentioned with Man City's involvement I would truly bite hands off for Johnson and maybe Onouha and a little cash. 

Given was fantastic again today, but he deserves so much better and I have no doubts Harper would fill the void.

I also dont  think it would have the imploding impact in the dressing room as people think. We have alot of quality in Goal Keeping reserve, so it might upset Duff/butt or owen, big deal, the latter two will more than likely leave soon anyway.

If Harper was playing week in week out and doing his normal sterling job it would'nt take more than a season to have his name sky rocketed and hyped up.

Its a good deal worth taking, in a similar vein to selling Andy Cole, (albeit spurring us to stay up rather than push up to the top) a deal with johnson, onouha could add more to our squad over the next couple of years than keeping Given.

If it frees up 8 or 10 million to sign other players then I would take their arm off!

Harper is a very capable prem league keeper, not quite as good as shay but relatively close behind, I think it is worth it to get a couple of defenders and to get a decent midfielder.

Guest justin99.

if given is sold I think everyone should prepare for the championship.

doesn't matter how much money could be attained from the sale, I have no confidence what-so-ever that it would be spent adequately

I think the only reason Shay is hesitating to move is that he is not ready to let us down. Think he feels he has a duty to stay and help keep us up. We should let him know that he owes us nothing, and that we think the world of him regardless.

Best overall keeper in the premiership era by a country mile.

If Kinnear has any sense he'll at least tell him to wait till the summer if he really wants to move - if he loves Newcastle United as much as we think he does then he'll stay till the end of the season and help get us out of this mess.

Then he can get the move that he deserves, and that I certainly won't begrudge him. Harper is more than able of filling the gap, and then of course we have Krul and the very promising looking Forster.

I think the only reason Shay is hesitating to move is that he is not ready to let us down. Think he feels he has a duty to stay and help keep us up. We should let him know that he owes us nothing, and that we think the world of him regardless.

Peter Schmeichel?

Peter Schmeichel is not just the best overall keeper in The Premiership era, but also the best player in The Premiership era.

Peter Schmeichel?

Correct.

Guest Nufc4Life

I was at Blackburn and Shay came over and started clapping the fans as usual, no running down the tunnel or owt shite like that.

I agree with most of that. Good luck to him if he goes, he deserves the utmost credit for staying until now.

If Given does leave, will he attract the vitriol Keegan has got as being a 'bottler'??? After all, surely it will be a case of him leaving a sinking ship, and surely his continued presence between the sticks will help the cause?

Somehow, I think I know the answer.

What a load of horseshit. Given's stuck about for years of shite, more than any other player in recent history. Keegan walked twice when the going got tough and tried to quit more times than you've got fingers in his 1st spell.

If Given does leave, will he attract the vitriol Keegan has got as being a 'bottler'??? After all, surely it will be a case of him leaving a sinking ship, and surely his continued presence between the sticks will help the cause?

What a load of horseshit. Given's stuck about for years of shite, more than any other player in recent history. Keegan walked twice when the going got tough and tried to quit more times than you've got fingers in his 1st spell.

How did the going get tough? We had a bit of a bad run the first time but had just hammered Spurs 7-1, and this season started off quite well by getting that point at Old Trafford. As to me when people say 'when the going got tough' that means on the pitch. Well things certainly weren't tough on the pitch so he can't be accused of going for those reasons.

How did the going get tough? We had a bit of a bad run the first time but had just hammered Spurs 7-1, and this season started off quite well by getting that point at Old Trafford. As to me when people say 'when the going got tough' that means on the pitch. Well things certainly weren't tough on the pitch so he can't be accused of going for those reasons.

But i don't mean that, and to say it can only mean on field is probably the most stupid thing i've heard this year.  :idiot2:

But i don't mean that, and to say it can only mean on field is probably the most stupid thing i've heard this year.  :idiot2:

That's what most people refer to when they say that though. That's why I asked.

Was obviously meaning the board disagreements both times.

Is there any need for the patronising tone? I've stated above as to why I thought that man. Wasn't having a dig or anything.

Why did he leave in your view?

First time around because promises were broken and things changed after the PLC came in. And second time around he felt his position had become untenable.

That's basically what I feel in a nutshell. Although I still think he was burnt-out as well the first time he left, I think signing Shearer certainly re-ignited a spark in him for a bit, but I do feel he was burnt-out.

Is there any need for the patronising tone? I've stated above as to why I thought that man. Wasn't having a dig or anything.

Sorry i thought you were.

Peace.

First time around because promises were broken and things changed after the PLC came in. And second time around he felt his position had become untenable.

That's basically what I feel in a nutshell. Although I still think he was burnt-out as well the first time he left, I think signing Shearer certainly re-ignited a spark in him for a bit, but I do feel he was burnt-out.

Aye, heard he admitted that he couldnt motivate his players in the same way he used to, Im sure he regrets that decision in hindsight, it was his one major oppurtunity to build a Fergie style dynasty at this club. Could of made himself into one of the best managers around.

Aye, heard he admitted that he couldnt motivate his players in the same way he used to, Im sure he regrets that decision in hindsight, it was his one major oppurtunity to build a Fergie style dynasty at this club. Could of made himself into one of the best managers around.

Definitely agree with that. Slightly off-topic but I believe Euro '96 is we as fans started to lose our grip on the game that we loved, and when there started to be a more corporate focus on the game. Especially with the huge TV deal afterwards. Also England as a country had proven that we'd finally got over the major hooligan problem despite their still being some obvious minor instances, but nothing as widespread as it used to be. All of this combined made football over a here a game people now saw as the 'fashionable' thing again.