Looks like Shay is on his way

Dave

Shay Given - great goalkeeper but nowhere near as good as the media hype. 

His best displays have been in games where we were hammered and the flow of the game was towards him, like the great shot stopper he is it was no surprise the Liverpool defeat again showed him at his best. He does not however command an area like a great goalkeeper would.

Last season was the only one I can recall where Steve Harper played enough games to make any sort of comparison and on the basis of that, Harper's record was MUCH better than Given's in terms of points gained and goals conceded.

So maybe the repacement is already there (most fans felt Harper should have started this season as first choice) and with two very able young keepers coming through eventually they are going to need to see some way to progress otherwhise we will lose them.

Shay's been a great servant - although he did spit the dummy out when he didn't get his own way, but at his age and with the cover we have in that position I'd take Man City's hand off if a stupid bid is put on the table.

Have always thought that was one of Shays weakest points, although there are few keepers in the league that really do have the whole package, Harper is no better for it.

This transfer might well have been a shock to us and JFK, but maybe not to the hierachy, lets not forget we have been linked to about 10 keepers over the past year. No coincidence.

Kinnear must be so gullible, same thing happened with owen when he came out with the 60/40 thing, the players are obviously just telling him what he wants to hear and he's taking it as gospel. I'm really really worried about this window now.

What's the use of worrying? Just a waste of energy. You can only deal with things once they've happened. And none of us has any control over how things will pan out with transfers. :dontknow:

Never realised that £12m was their offer for Bridge. I reckon any other club would have got him for about £6m.

I'd ask City for about £18m in that case. Seriously. Every player has his price and if they're throwing stupid money around...

Thats basically the up and down of it. If a new big spender comes into the market, you may aswell take advantage of it.

The idea of him playing for Tottenham makes my blood boil. Hopefully not.

people like you are going to have to get used to the idea that clubs like Spurs think bigger, act bigger than we do.

This is why Gazza and Waddle went there for that reason, despite what other people that say they are long term supporters will tell you.

The blip of the Halls and Shepherd, where we correctly punched our weight above clubs like this, is well and truly over.

If he has to go I'd rather he went for tuppence than line Ashley's pockets to the tune of another £10m.

For me as an NUFC fan they can double it and still fuck off.

absolutely great to see one person without their heads up their arse.

Great post.

Guest Chris P

Never realised that £12m was their offer for Bridge. I reckon any other club would have got him for about £6m.

I'd ask City for about £18m in that case. Seriously. Every player has his price and if they're throwing stupid money around...

Thats basically the up and down of it. If a new big spender comes into the market, you may aswell take advantage of it.

Take that tab out yer gob man

:lol:

Guest Toon Barmy

His best displays have been in games where we were hammered and the flow of the game was towards him, like the great shot stopper he is it was no surprise the Liverpool defeat again showed him at his best. He does not however command an area like a great goalkeeper would.

Last season was the only one I can recall where Steve Harper played enough games to make any sort of comparison and on the basis of that, Harper's record was MUCH better than Given's in terms of points gained and goals conceded.

So maybe the repacement is already there (most fans felt Harper should have started this season as first choice) and with two very able young keepers coming through eventually they are going to need to see some way to progress otherwhise we will lose them.

Shay's been a great servant - although he did spit the dummy out when he didn't get his own way, but at his age and with the cover we have in that position I'd take Man City's hand off if a stupid bid is put on the table.

Scary that you believe we have the quality of Given waiting in the wings

people like you are going to have to get used to the idea that clubs like Spurs think bigger, act bigger than we do.

This is why Gazza and Waddle went there for that reason, despite what other people that say they are long term supporters will tell you.

The blip of the Halls and Shepherd, where we correctly punched our weight above clubs like this, is well and truly over.

Gazza, Waddle, Jenas....

:colo:

Realistically, goalkeeper is one position where we have good cover. If we can tempt the likes of Spurs or Arsenal to release a player for one of our weaker positions in a swap deal, then that would be good business.

Selling Given and making Harper the permanent number 1 would be taking 2 steps back.

The FACTS would tend to disagree.

Last season's records league records.

HARPER  Played 19  Points gained  26  Goals for 26 Goals against 23. Average goals conceded per game 1.21 - record extrapolated over full season  - 52 points -  i.e 10th in league.

GIVEN    Played 19  Points gained  17  Goals for 19 Goals against 42. Average goals conceded per game  2,21 - record extrapolated over full season -  34 points - i.e 19th in league (relegation)

The FACTS would tend to back me up.

HARPER  Played 19  Points gained  26  Goals for 26 Goals against 23. Average goals conceded per game 1.21 - record extrapolated over full season  - 52 points -  i.e 10th in league.

GIVEN    Played 19  Points gained  17  Goals for 19 Goals against 42. Average goals conceded per game  2,21 - record extrapolated over full season -  34 points - i.e 19th in league (relegation)

Given has returned to form this season, but Harper was certainly better last year.  There were a few threads insisting that Harper should keep his place, that we should cash in on Given then etc.

Guest afternoonfix

If he has to go I'd rather he went for tuppence than line Ashley's pockets to the tune of another £10m.

For me as an NUFC fan they can double it and still f*** off.

absolutely great to see one person without their heads up their arse.

Great post.

cut off your nose etc...

its even more scary that people don't understand the signals it is sending out if he wants to leave.

Quite amazing how money is now coming before having quality in the dressing room of the club. We'll have the biggest bank balance in the championship soon.

Gazza, Waddle, Jenas....

you're a fool if you seriously think the sale of Jeanarse and the circmstances of it compares to those of Waddle and Gazza.

Gazza, Waddle, Jenas....

you're a fool if you seriously think the sale of Jeanarse and the circmstances of it compares to those of Waddle and Gazza.

I should have added a smilie, oh wait...

The FACTS would tend to back me up.

HARPER   Played 19  Points gained  26  Goals for 26 Goals against 23. Average goals conceded per game 1.21 - record extrapolated over full season  - 52 points -  i.e 10th in league.

GIVEN     Played 19  Points gained  17   Goals for 19 Goals against 42. Average goals conceded per game  2,21 - record extrapolated over full season -  34 points - i.e 19th in league (relegation)

That's a neat thing you're doing comparing Given's worst ever season (due to injury,) to what's probably Harper's best.

Gazza, Waddle, Jenas....

I should have added a smilie, oh wait...

bluelaugh.gif

thats how you do it