Given vs Harper - a comparison.

Benwell Lad

Can I just say once again as some people seem to be getting a bit excited, that these stats are in no way intended to detract from Given's excellent record as our keeper.  I've already said that I think he is a very good keeper - no arguments.

What I kind of wanted to illustrate is that if Given chooses to leave as his agent/lawyer implies he wants to and someone is going to pay wacky money for him, then we do have another pretty good goalkeeper on our books and it may not actually be the end of the world.

Heresy!

If Harper was anything more than an average goalie he wouldn't have been happy to warm the bench his entire fucking career.

That's such an old bullshit excuse to use when trying to compare Given and Harper.  Not everyone is fame hungry.  He gets to play soccer every day for a living for a team he loves (albeit not always on the SJP pitch), isn't that enough?  Probably not for someone of your make-up.

Given gets a get out of jail free card because of his "loyalty" but how easily we forget every time that he comes back from injury how quickly he is in the papers bitching about not being first choice - I've never heard Harper doing the same.  Who has the real loyalty?

Yeah, you're right.  It's Harper's love for the club that's blocked his big money move to Barcelona.

Harper could have been a first choice keeper for a premiership club, a good one at that imo.

I'd say Harper's 80% of Given across the board, meaning it wouldn't be a tragedy if Given did leave in the window and wasn't replaced until the summer as long as the back 4 remain tight...hoping Liverpool was a one off rather than what's to come (but again for me the soft mid was to blame more than anything else)

I'd say Harper's 80% of Given across the board, meaning it wouldn't be a tragedy if Given did leave in the window and wasn't replaced until the summer as long as the back 4 remain tight...hoping Liverpool was a one off rather than what's to come (but again for me the soft mid was to blame more than anything else)

That extra 20% is the difference between good and elite keepers though, could be worth 10-15 points per season

Another difference is that Harper was the keeper when we went on that good run at the end of the season when Viduka, Martins & Owen were on fire as a trio...we could have had Mike Hooper in goal during that period and we'd still have won matches.

OK, how about season 1999-2000 when they again shared a season and Harper played 29 games and let in 31 goals which works out at -1.07 goals per game when rounded up.  Given played 17 and let in 23 goals per game which works out at -1.35 goals per game when rounded down.

Harper has played over 100 games and has an average of -1.22 goals per game, Given has played over 450 games and has an average of -1.27 goals per game.  I would say that the career average for Harper would have been better if he wasn’t always in and out of the team through no fault of his own.

Harper doesn't make as many reflex saves as Given but he uses his box better and cuts out more than he would if he was glued to his line.