Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

For fucks sake!! This is getting beyond a joke now!!!

What kind of fuckwits are negotiation for us, we can't even get the richest club in the world to pay the going rate for a world class keeper!

This is so simple.

Set a price, give them a deadline, if they don't meet either one, tell them to FUCK OFF!!! :rant:

Needing money isn't an excuse to sell your best player for half of his value. In the current market you don't get much for what City are offering, so accepting it would be pointless.

Needing money is everything at the moment as it appears we need to sell before buying.  We have other players to cover his position while other areas of the team are thin or not covered at all.

I'm not over happy about it myself, i just think its a sensible thing to do at the moment.

So we sell Given and get an Ebondo, what's the point? I agree we need to sell, but only if we get a substantial amount.

Needing money isn't an excuse to sell your best player for half of his value. In the current market you don't get much for what City are offering, so accepting it would be pointless.

Needing money is everything at the moment as it appears we need to sell before buying.  We have other players to cover his position while other areas of the team are thin or not covered at all.

I'm not over happy about it myself, i just think its a sensible thing to do at the moment.

So we sell Given and get an Ebondo, what's the point? I agree we need to sell, but only if we get a substantial amount.

Man city hold all the cards

we need to sell

they know we have cover

he is unhappy

They know we need to sell, no one else is coming in for him.

we need to sell

they know we have cover

he is unhappy

So what average player would you buy with the £5m?

we need to sell

they know we have cover

he is unhappy

So what average player would you buy with the £5m?

I'm not happy about it myself mate.

Given doesn't want to be here anymore, we have cover in that area.  We need money to fund other positions.  I'm saying man city have us bent over.

I would love to get 8-10 mil for him but man city have us by the balls.

Who knows he might end up staying, man city could wait until the summer.  Get him even cheaper.

I don't get this "city have all the cards" bullshit.

It's not as if the club's going into administration immediately. We're debt free and only need money insofar as much as it can buy us players.

It doesn't look like we're buying a lot of players (which certainly isn't a good thing, but howay nobody wants to come here what can you do.) So we don't need the money. There's every incentive for us to hold out and get a proper rate in the summer rather than letting them hold us to ransom.

CITY are the ones who should be under pressure. They need a keeper NOW.

It's not as if the club's going into administration immediately. We're debt free and only need money insofar as much as it can buy us players.

It doesn't look like we're buying a lot of players (which certainly isn't a good thing, but howay nobody wants to come here what can you do.) So we don't need the money. There's every incentive for us to hold out and get a proper rate in the summer rather than letting them hold us to ransom.

:lol:

How do they?

How do they?

They're under pressure to improve their squad and their league position.

Our prem status is at risk BIG TIME, we need money to fund other areas of the first team.  Man City know this.

How do they?

And we ARE NOT?!?!?!

Despite having cover that will see us through in that position.......

Our prem status is at risk BIG TIME, we need money to fund other areas of the first team.  Man City know this.

5m more isn't going to represent a significant upgrade on our current targets.. Our problem isn't the money it's that nobody wants to come here.

We have absolutely nothing to lose by playing hardball. It's not as if we're going to buy anyone significant anyway.

5m more isn't going to represent a significant upgrade on our current targets.. Our problem isn't the money it's that nobody wants to come here.

We have absolutely nothing to lose by playing hardball. It's not as if we're going to buy anyone significant anyway.

Upgrade? We need the money to get anyone man, that's why fuck all has happened.

Ebondo has been quoted today saying he wants to come here, yet Kinnear reckons we're squabling with his club over £500k.

And you kno this because you've been on the phone to  :kinnear:

How do they?

And we ARE NOT?!?!?!

Despite having cover that will see us through in that position.......

I'm with you on this in principle....

BUT

How do Man City know he's unhappy? essentially because Given had come out with that statement by proxy. So essentially, Given himself has fucked us. The club are willing to sell him, but as long as they get what they think he's worth. They won't let him fuck us twice by declaring he's unhappy, and going on the cheap.

It's been made public numerous times that we have "8~10 mil" to spend. We've made public bids that roughly conform to that budget.

The reason we haven't spent all window isn't because we're utterly insolvent. It's simply that our targets won't come.

5m more doesn't make a huge different to us when it seems likely that the absolute best we can hope for at this point is maybe signing Ebondo. Having Given or not makes a huge difference for City.

(This is of course, all assumption based on my interpretation of reality. No I can't "prove" any of this, just like no one can prove anything that pertains to their views of how the club is being run right now. It's a "discussion" forum for God's sake.)

Ebondo has been quoted today saying he wants to come here, yet Kinnear reckons we're squabling with his club over £500k.

What's that, if not a club who can attract a player but can't afford him?

We need the money.

It's been made public numerous times that we have "8~10 mil" to spend. We've made public bids that roughly conform to that budget.

The reason we haven't spent all window isn't because we're utterly insolvent. It's simply that our targets won't come.

5m more doesn't make a huge different to us when it seems likely that the absolute best we can hope for at this point is maybe signing Ebondo. Having Given or not makes a huge difference for City.

(This is of course, all assumption based on my interpretation of reality. No I can't "prove" any of this, just like no one can prove anything that pertains to their views of how the club is being run right now. It's a "discussion" forum for God's sake.)

Its bullshit man, we dont have a pot to piss in.

Thats why KK lost his wrag when Milner was flogged and we only brought Xisco in.

Sell before we buy.

No money.

I find it extremely unlikely that the delay is actually about us squabbling with the club over 500k.

The player's agent is apparently already in town for negotiations, and 500k is chump change for anybody. Even us.

The simplest explanation for me is that the player's agent is just being an arse over personal terms.

Again, can't prove any of this etc.

I find it extremely unlikely that the delay is actually about us squabbling with the club over 500k.

The player's agent is apparently already in town for negotiations, and 500k is chump change for anybody. Even us.

The simplest explanation for me is that the player's agent is just being an arse over personal terms.

Try M'Bia then. Everyone on here who's seen him (I haven't) reckoned we'd need to double our supposed bid to get him. Where does that £3-4m come from if not from the Given sale?

We can't afford our targets as things stand.

Much as I like Given as a player, he hasn't played for us on a charity basis over the years; he's a well-paid professional who has played well (though his kicking did worry me until this season). For five million we don't need to sell him, especially as the market will probably be more active in the summer and we might therefore get a better price for him then. He's in contract until well after then.

If he's so unhappy that he can't bring himself to play for us all well and good, get him some counselling and Prozac but still wait until the summer. City have loads of cash, we should not be their fall-guys in this.

Harper can do the job; I only wish that we had cover in other positions like we have at goalie.

Try M'Bia then. Everyone on here who's seen him (I haven't) reckoned we'd need to double our supposed bid to get him. Where does that £3-4m come from if not from the Given sale?

We can't afford our targets as things stand.

Would never come here anyway so not really bothered about him.

Simple fact of the matter is that no player rated at 10m is going to come to this club right now.

Much as I like Given as a player, he hasn't played for us on a charity basis over the years; he's a well-paid professional who has played well (though his kicking did worry me until this season). For five million we don't need to sell him, especially as the market will probably be more active in the summer and we might therefore get a better price for him then. He's in contract until well after then.

If he's so unhappy that he can't bring himself to play for us all well and good, get him some counselling and Prozac but still wait until the summer. City have loads of cash, we should not be their fall-guys in this.

Harper can do the job; I only wish that we had cover in other positions like we have at goalie.

Absolutely right, I could understand it if he was going to one of the Sky 4 but Man City? I suppose 6 months worth of £100,000 a week is the draw, I'm not blaming him but I find it a bit tedious when we're supposed to feel sorry for him. If he's that keen to go let him put a transfer request in.

Guest johnson293

Thats why KK lost his wrag when Milner was flogged and we only brought Xisco in.

Sell before we buy.

No money.

Hey, you forgot to add "Man City Know This" to that post.

Sell before we buy.

No money. MAN CITY KNOW THIS - FACT

Hey, you forgot to add "Man City Know This" to that post.

Is that better?  ;D