Newcastle United Finances - 2008 Accounts Recently Filed

quayside

In the summer I was saying that we needed a big mobile striker and a central midfielder as a priority as well, and quite a few people here were saying similar. At the time Enrique and Zog seemed decent full back choices though Keegan was probably right.

I wanted an attacking midfielder as well but felt and still feel that the jury is still out on Enrique and Zog is a stop gap.

But he basically explained the situation ages ago and no fucker believed him.

Link?

Come on Dave, we all remember it.

I remember him appointing Kevin Keegan and saying money was there 'if Kevin wanted' a player.

Seems a bit at odds with the pretty straightforward explanation that we're skint as f***.

Theres still no suggestion that he wouldnt puthis and in his pocket when keegan was signed - hence the bid for AModric amongst others. We knew that finances were tight at the point that mort said "we were close to collapsing like a house of cards".

I dont understand, though at which point did you think we were ever flushed after the owner having to put £100m into the club to keep us afloat?

~EDIT: For me personally, these accounts dont excuse Ashley from spending any money but they do go on to explain the absolute nessecitiy of the system and its importance to the club.

I never thought we were 'flushed', but then I saw the owner come out several times and say he'd be looking to back his manager with significant funds to improve the first team. That didn't happen IMO.

I seem to remember when Mort came out with that quote, most people were still fully behind Ashley. It's what's gone on since then which has turned many, hence my request for a link from Ozzie. I can't recollect 'no fucker' believing him, apart from NE5.

I was thinking about his explanation of subsidising the club to the tune of £20 million per annum.

Plenty of people moaning ever since that he obviously wasn't doing this, though I can't be arsed to look for links.

10mill already into the club and a supposed 10mill in this window (m'bia and other alleged bid by kinnear)

I was thinking about his explanation of subsidising the club to the tune of £20 million per annum.

That's the one thing in these accounts I'm prepared to fully admit I was wrong on.

(Though his statement was written in hindsight to cover that rather than being part of his original plan imo)

Well for me, the accounts emphatically vindicate the decision to back Wise over Keegan

I don't get that at all - Wise was spending money on Xisco on Gonzales when all Keegan wanted was a left back.

We made a £3m net profit that window. Its a moot point trying to guess who Keegan wanted but if i was to guesd id say Dunne represented a good guess, compare him to Bassong and you see the importance of Wise and the system.

Dunne would of been on high wages, would have cost a fee and was 28 with no sell on value.

Bassong , is on lower wages, cost a smaller fee and is a lot younger with a potnetially larger sell on value.

Its blantently obvious that Bassong makes more sense to the club.

With the account sheet on hand, you can cleary see the importance of choosing Bassong over Dunne and credit has to go for Wise and co for finding him becasue im pretty confiddent that if Keegan had free reign we;d have Dunne here.

Im not trying to smear Keegans name (although it does seem that way) all i doing is highlighting the importance of the policy.

EDIT: just noticed you meant the team over keegan, its just that Wise is the one thats been villified by many on these boards so i assumed thats what you meant.

Link?

I remember him appointing Kevin Keegan and saying money was there 'if Kevin wanted' a player.

Seems a bit at odds with the pretty straightforward explanation that we're skint as f***.

Theres still no suggestion that he wouldnt puthis and in his pocket when keegan was signed - hence the bid for AModric amongst others. We knew that finances were tight at the point that mort said "we were close to collapsing like a house of cards".

I dont understand, though at which point did you think we were ever flushed after the owner having to put £100m into the club to keep us afloat?

~EDIT: For me personally, these accounts dont excuse Ashley from spending any money but they do go on to explain the absolute nessecitiy of the system and its importance to the club.

I never thought we were 'flushed', but then I saw the owner come out several times and say he'd be looking to back his manager with significant funds to improve the first team. That didn't happen IMO.

I seem to remember when Mort came out with that quote, most people were still fully behind Ashley. It's what's gone on since then which has turned many, hence my request for a link from Ozzie. I can't recollect 'no fucker' believing him, apart from NE5.

Plenty of people moaning ever since that he obviously wasn't doing this, though I can't be arsed to look for links.

10mill already into the club and a supposed 10mill in this window (m'bia and other alleged bid by kinnear)

Do you actually think M'bia will end up here though? I'm highly sceptical.

Link?

Do you actually think M'bia will end up here though? I'm highly sceptical.

thats why i posted "and other alleged bid"

Well for me, the accounts emphatically vindicate the decision to back Wise over Keegan

I don't get that at all - Wise was spending money on Xisco on Gonzales when all Keegan wanted was a left back.

We made a £3m net profit that window. Its a moot point trying to guess who Keegan wanted but if i was to guesd id say Dunne represented a good guess, compare him to Bassong and you see the importance of Wise and the system.

Dunne would of been on high wages, would have cost a fee and was 28 with no sell on value.

Bassong , is on lower wages, cost a smaller fee and is a lot younger with a potnetially larger sell on value.

With the account sheet on hand, you can cleary see the importance of choosing Bassong over Dunne and credit has to go for Wise and co for finding him becasue im pretty confiddent that if Keegan had free reign we;d have Dunne here.

Im not trying to smear Keegans name (although it does seem that way) all i doing is highlighting the importance of the policy.

EDIT: just noticed you meant the team over keegan, its just that Wise is the one thats been villified by many on these boards so i assumed thats what you meant.

What you say makes sense but my view is has an element of hindsight in Bassong's obvious promise versus Dunne's proven experience - I think its an argument you can have over individual players but I don't like the suggestion that it's an all one way or the other situation. Guthrie is normally described as a "Keegan signing" but shares attributes with which you describe Bassong.

I think with all due to respect to most NUFC fans most people are becoming lame in this issue just becuase Fat Freddy and all his mess put us in this mess donsnt mean we have to be really bad with Ashley. He boght back Keegan things didn't work out so we should moved on and be bhind the owner. I don't think appointing Kinner should be seen like a bad thing as well after all this club Appoint Roeder and Souness in the past 3 years. People should wake up and smell their coffee and be behind the team 100% in this testing and iffcult time.

What you say makes sense but my view is has an element of hindsight in Bassong's obvious promise versus Dunne's proven experience - I think its an argument you can have over individual players but I don't like the suggestion that it's an all one way or the other situation. Guthrie is normally described as a "Keegan signing" but shares attributes with which you describe Bassong.

Yeh, very true. In fact i agree with everything you say but id also point out that maybe the reason Guthrie was signed was becasue he did fit in witht he policy tht the club were trying to implement, if Keegan was to make the majority of singing like Guthrie, in my opinion i think the club wouldof backed him.

Its also telling that Keegan said many times that first and foremost he wanted players with premiership experince - maybe this would give a clue on Keegans buying policy becasue i see few examples which would fit in with the clubs policy as well.

Guthrie being one example....

I think with all due to respect to most NUFC fans most people are becoming lame in this issue just becuase Fat Freddy and all his mess put us in this mess donsnt mean we have to be really bad with Ashley. He boght back Keegan things didn't work out so we should moved on and be bhind the owner. I don't think appointing Kinner should be seen like a bad thing as well after all this club Appoint Roeder and Souness in the past 3 years. People should wake up and smell their coffee and be behind the team 100% in this testing and iffcult time.

I agree with you 100% my man, unfortunately we reacted like Keegan leaving was the apocalypse and we can't undo the damage we caused.

At the same time, Ashley should have just ridden the wave and stuck to his strategy... he was naive in thinking he would always be popular with the fans.

I agree with you 100% my man, unfortunately we reacted like Keegan leaving was the apocalypse and we can't undo the damage we caused.

At the same time, Ashley should have just ridden the wave and stuck to his strategy... he was naive in thinking he would always be popular with the fans.

I think it's time Ashley came back to the games, we need him to be involved.

I think it's time Ashley came back to the games, we need him to be involved.

I don't think he should have ever stopped, obviously he would have needed to move to the director's box to avoid being ripped to shreds, but he should have stuck with it.

I think this is the only thread on the entire board where people can say how they feel aboutf Shepherd safe in the knowledge that it wont descend into the usually 70 page stunner.

:lol: @ the truth in that one!

:lol:

But why? Can't be the facts, they've never stopped anyone before!

Guest Wally_McFool

Who was it who suggested everyone could stick a £1 in each and buy the club?

Someone who thought that 300,000 x £1 =£30million pounds I think.

Who was it who suggested everyone could stick a £1 in each and buy the club?

HTT wanted 300,000 to stick £1000 in iirc.

If it didn't work out they would give our money to charity rather than giving it us back which was nice of them.

I don't think he should have ever stopped, obviously he would have needed to move to the director's box to avoid being ripped to shreds, but he should have stuck with it.

I still think he bought the club for the fun factor and that went with the protests against him but I still agree that he should have tried to tough it out.  He'll never have a better time to come back now that most people understand the state of the club and why some things have been done in the way that they have.

I still think he bought the club for the fun factor and that went with the protests against him but I still agree that he should have tried to tough it out.  He'll never have a better time to come back now that most people understand the state of the club and why some things have been done in the way that they have.

Completely agree, he may as well give it a shot, if it turns around he could well end up being liked again. As impossible as that seems now, people have short memories.

Guest The Libertine

[/quote

im not sure about that. does the average match going fan really understand the financial stuff enough to realise why we havent splashed the cash this window? i dont think enough do to save him from a backlash/protests if we dont get any more players in by the 2nd.

im not sure about that. does the average match going fan really understand the financial stuff enough to realise why we havent splashed the cash this window? i dont think enough do to save him from a backlash/protests if we dont get any more players in by the 2nd.

Most of the people I work with think he should start attending again and most would have strung him up from a tree a week ago. 

Guest fading star

Enlighten me, why haven’t we splashed the cash?