Curbishley approach denied by Llambias

Guest Ian Sparham

If i had to bet on one of Curbishley or Shearer to get you back up at first pop - as in, actually betting with my own money - I would go for Curbishley

I appreciate the emotional thing with Shearer, but he has no experience as a manager other than those last eight games and the time since, which must surely have put him off ever moving into management. Curbishley is immensely experienced, and has done the job with little money, which - assuming there is no sale - is the sort of conditions he will need to work in.

For all the quoting managers who have done well with no previous experience (and, incidentally, Guardiola, Klinsmann, Van Basten all went to jobs where they had money / pulling power / good players at their disposal, whilst Keane is hardly a shining example), for every great player who has done well, there are at least 10 who have done absolutely shag all.

What you need now, in my opinion, is a hard, cool, unemotional assessment of what is best to get you back up. I just can't believe that Shearer falls into that category.

If i had to bet on one of Curbishley or Shearer to get you back up at first pop - as in, actually betting with my own money - I would go for Curbishley

I appreciate the emotional thing with Shearer, but he has no experience as a manager other than those last eight games and the time since, which must surely have put him off ever moving into management. Curbishley is immensely experienced, and has done the job with little money, which - assuming there is no sale - is the sort of conditions he will need to work in.

For all the quoting managers who have done well with no previous experience (and, incidentally, Guardiola, Klinsmann, Van Basten all went to jobs where they had money / pulling power / good players at their disposal, whilst Keane is hardly a shining example), for every great player who has done well, there are at least 10 who have done absolutely shag all.

What you need now, in my opinion, is a hard, cool, unemotional assessment of what is best to get you back up. I just can't believe that Shearer falls into that category.

Fuck reality and cold assesments...Bring on Shearer. Let's rock!! :razz:

MIKE ASHLEY WANTS ALAN CURBISHLEY (NOTW mind)

ALAN CURBISHLEY is being lined up to become Newcastle boss.

Toon owner Mike Ashley is trying to sell the club but he is making contingency plans should a quick sale not materialise.

Curbishley has been sounded out and, despite the chaos that surrounds the club, he would be willing to move up to the North East.

Alan Shearer remains in charge of team matters but the situation is becoming increasingly complicated as his relationship with Ashley has become so strained.

Seymour Pierce, the brokers handling the sale, have received a formal bid from an international consortium with no links to the North East. The American group tabled a bid of around £100million on Friday after Barclays did the paperwork on a working overdraft of £25m to ensure the club can keep going in the short-term.

"A deal is nearly done, it's very close," said a source. "It could be announced as early as Tuesday or Wednesday next week."

Ashley believes he can get a better deal if Newcastle have a manager in place for the massive rebuilding job needed to help the club secure immediate promotion.

And Curbishley, 51, was the master of that type of management in 16 years at Charlton. He turned them from a club who did not even have a ground into a consistent Premier League force. And since he left they have slid down into League Two.

Curbs also steered West Ham away from relegation but, after a mid-table finish, he fell out with the fans and the board and left Upton Park last September, claiming constructive dismissal.

Assertions made from that article:

/ Mike Ashley's preference in a manager is Alan Curbishley

/ Ashley has a back-up plan should he not be able to sell the club

/ Curbishley would come to Newcastle

/ Shearer and Ashley's relationship is on the rocks

/ Ashley thinks he can sell the club if there's a manager already in place

Quote attached: "A deal is nearly done, it's very close. It could be announced as early as Tuesday or Wednesday next week." A Source.

Fuck right off. Not to mention the sheer ambiguity of that statement. That could have been from a minute-by-minute reporter at the latest Deal Or No Deal episode.

Oh, and Charlton are in League 1, not League 2.

These fucking utter cretins actually get paid for this tosh.

Toon owner Mike Ashley is trying to sell the club but he is making contingency plans should a quick sale not materialise.

Curbishley has been sounded out and, despite the chaos that surrounds the club, he would be willing to move up to the North East.

Alan Shearer remains in charge of team matters but the situation is becoming increasingly complicated as his relationship with Ashley has become so strained.

Seymour Pierce, the brokers handling the sale, have received a formal bid from an international consortium with no links to the North East. The American group tabled a bid of around £100million on Friday after Barclays did the paperwork on a working overdraft of £25m to ensure the club can keep going in the short-term.

"A deal is nearly done, it's very close," said a source. "It could be announced as early as Tuesday or Wednesday next week."

Ashley believes he can get a better deal if Newcastle have a manager in place for the massive rebuilding job needed to help the club secure immediate promotion.

And Curbishley, 51, was the master of that type of management in 16 years at Charlton. He turned them from a club who did not even have a ground into a consistent Premier League force. And since he left they have slid down into League Two.

Curbs also steered West Ham away from relegation but, after a mid-table finish, he fell out with the fans and the board and left Upton Park last September, claiming constructive dismissal.

:mackems:

Guest WashyGeordie

Assertions made from that article:

/ Mike Ashley's preference in a manager is Alan Curbishley

/ Ashley has a back-up plan should he not be able to sell the club

/ Curbishley would come to Newcastle

/ Shearer and Ashley's relationship is on the rocks

/ Ashley thinks he can sell the club if there's a manager already in place

Quote attached: "A deal is nearly done, it's very close. It could be announced as early as Tuesday or Wednesday next week." A Source.

f*** right off. Not to mention the sheer ambiguity of that statement. That could have been from a minute-by-minute reporter at the latest Deal Or No Deal episode.

Oh, and Charlton are in League 1, not League 2.

These f***ing utter cretins actually get paid for this tosh.

This.

You can't be 100% certain of anything. Shearer could be a good manager or a bad manager, we don't know yet. His limited experience so far wasn't exactly inspiring.

I think Shearer could get us promoted, but if i was asked who was more likely to f*** it up out of Shearer and Curbishley, it would be Shearer.

Go directly to A & E and get those spelks out your arse  :spit:

You might have a point but from the feedback we have had about Shearer is that off the pitch he has done some very good work and instilled much better standards. I still think given a chance next season and some reasonable backing he will do very well.

I wonder how his salary demands would compare to Alan Curbishley's because that could be a big factor?