Post 2004 Shearer, or present day Owen...

Yorkie

Players like Nolan & Ryan taylor previously wouldnt have been seen to be good enough to play for Newcastle. Clearly our standards have dropped

Players like Ryan Taylor would always be good for the squad, I think that's the main problem though, due to various reasons he's actually starting for us. Don't have a problem with him though being a squad player. Very neat and tidy with a good final delivery. I don't consider Nolan better than Barton or Guthrie btw so if both of those were fit I wouldn't start him.

I've no problem with Nolan who is a decent player and has a lot of spirit and leadership about him, but if you fill your team with too many sub standard players at cheap prices, then you get what you have paid for, a sub standard team.

I don't think Guthrie is good enough either, but these players need better players alongside them if you want to lift the club higher.

So I agree absolutely with Jayson and your comments too tooj.

I pretty much agree with this. In a funny sort of way we've got the makings of a decent squad - a good first choice defence, a lot of decent to goodish squad players around the midfield (guthrie, barton, nolan, ryan taylor) and a couple of strikers who are capable of special things on their day. It's the real quality we're missing, players who can drag others up to their standard and drive the team forward. Players of the calibre of Nobby (first stint), Rob Lee and Shearer are what we're missing to progress, and for this reason Owen will be a big loss.

Ryan Taylor is definitely a second rate player.  Coloccini had a good start but he's been s**** for a long time now.

Depends what you mean by 2nd rate,  he's not good enough to get in a top 4 side, but he's the best crosser we have now.  I now get slightly excited when we get a corner instead of wondering why the ref doesn't just give them a goal kick and save everyone some time.  Colo I agree with but I think it's because he has no protection from the midfield.  He'll come good.

This season we've swapped.

Coloccini for Rozenhal

Bassong for Faye

R.Taylor for Ramage

Guthrie for Emre

Jonas for Milner

Nolan for Zog

In crude terms anyway, some aren't direct swaps.

Also lost Given and signed Xisco and Lovekrands, most of those are improvements, I wouldn't say we've become a selling club yet.

I would. Particularly when we are signing 2nd rate players while making profits from transfer windows in sales.

Which 2nd rate players, I think all signings have been decent bar Xisco but he hasn't played.

they can't be. Otherwise we would be getting better results.

You've got to love your logic.  The reason we are doing crap is because of the injuries and unrest at the club.  We aren't good enough to be in the top 6 or anything but come on, our Squad if fit is actually good.

Coloccini for Rozenhal

Bassong for Faye

R.Taylor for Ramage

Guthrie for Emre

Jonas for Milner

Nolan for Zog

Also lost Given and signed Xisco and Lovekrands, most of those are improvements, I wouldn't say we've become a selling club yet.

I would. Particularly when we are signing 2nd rate players while making profits from transfer windows in sales.

Which 2nd rate players, I think all signings have been decent bar Xisco but he hasn't played.

You've got to love your logic.  The reason we are doing crap is because of the injuries and unrest at the club.  We aren't good enough to be in the top 6 or anything but come on, our Squad if fit is actually good.

the unrest is a big part, yes, but the squad is also too small to mount a serious challenge for a mid table place never mind a european spot. Which is part of the picture, it's a squad game, and thinking "the first 11 is alright" simply isn't good enough and only shows how low the ambition and contentment with the current situation is.

Basically, its 2nd rate thinking, and 2nd rate ambition, but people wanted us to be run like clubs such as the Charltons, smoggies, Birminghams, and Boltons etc of this world.

Players like Nolan & Ryan taylor previously wouldnt have been seen to be good enough to play for Newcastle. Clearly our standards have dropped

Players like Ryan Taylor would always be good for the squad, I think that's the main problem though, due to various reasons he's actually starting for us. Don't have a problem with him though being a squad player. Very neat and tidy with a good final delivery. I don't consider Nolan better than Barton or Guthrie btw so if both of those were fit I wouldn't start him.

I've no problem with Nolan who is a decent player and has a lot of spirit and leadership about him, but if you fill your team with too many sub standard players at cheap prices, then you get what you have paid for, a sub standard team.

I don't think Guthrie is good enough either, but these players need better players alongside them if you want to lift the club higher.

I pretty much agree with this. In a funny sort of way we've got the makings of a decent squad - a good first choice defence, a lot of decent to goodish squad players around the midfield (guthrie, barton, nolan, ryan taylor) and a couple of strikers who are capable of special things on their day. It's the real quality we're missing, players who can drag others up to their standard and drive the team forward. Players of the calibre of Nobby (first stint), Rob Lee and Shearer are what we're missing to progress, and for this reason Owen will be a big loss.

at the high level of the premiership, you need more quality than we have in midfield, but what makes the REAL difference is the absolute ruthlessness and quality of your strikers and your ability to score goals. Solano, Shearer, Bellamy and Robert shot us into the Champs League, backed up by Dyer and Speed prompting and supporting.

at the high level of the premiership, you need more quality than we have in midfield, but what makes the REAL difference is the absolute ruthlessness and quality of your strikers and your ability to score goals. Solano, Shearer, Bellamy and Robert shot us into the Champs League, backed up by Dyer and Speed prompting and supporting.

I agree. I'm happy with Jonas on the left (needs to get a goal or two under his belt mind), but we need more on the right (hence me pointing to Solano). Shearer is the massive one - Oba and Owen have the ability, but we need a striker we can rely on to bang in the goals. Our other attacking players this season (Duff, Shola, Dukes, N'Zog, etc.) have contributed next to nothing.

Our lack of quality in midfield this season has been depressing mind - Barton has barely played, Nolan arrived late and only has a couple of apps to his game, Guthrie has been OK but in and out and Butt has been shocking.

Coloccini for Rozenhal

Bassong for Faye

R.Taylor for Ramage

Guthrie for Emre

Jonas for Milner

Nolan for Zog

the unrest is a big part, yes, but the squad is also too small to mount a serious challenge for a mid table place never mind a european spot. Which is part of the picture, it's a squad game, and thinking "the first 11 is alright" simply isn't good enough and only shows how low the ambition and contentment with the current situation is.

Basically, its 2nd rate thinking, and 2nd rate ambition, but people wanted us to be run like clubs such as the Charltons, smoggies, Birminghams, and Boltons etc of this world.

The squad is too small too challenge at the top end of the table that much I agree with, but it's good enough on paper to be competing in the top half of the table. The problem is the injuries and unavailabilty for one reason or another of too many of our better players has hit us hard last couple of seasons.

the strikers showed last season on the few occasions they were fit at any one time, they can score goals. Unfortunately, Martins, Owen and Viduka very rarely are.

Agree 100% about the midfield, it is substandard and has been for the last two years.

I agree. I'm happy with Jonas on the left (needs to get a goal or two under his belt mind), but we need more on the right (hence me pointing to Solano). Shearer is the massive one - Oba and Owen have the ability, but we need a striker we can rely on to bang in the goals. Our other attacking players this season (Duff, Shola, Dukes, N'Zog, etc.) have contributed next to nothing.

Our lack of quality in midfield this season has been depressing mind - Barton has barely played, Nolan arrived late and only has a couple of apps to his game, Guthrie has been OK but in and out and Butt has been shocking.

aye, in a general sense though, I prefer to share goals around with more "rounded" footballers than have one or even 2 players geared to get all the goals. You need a wide player and a midfield player to chip in. As much as I like Guittierez for his ability to run with the ball and transform defence into attack, he badly needs some support and to chip in with a few more assists or goals himself.

the strikers showed last season on the few occasions they were fit at any one time, they can score goals. Unfortunately, Martins, Owen and Viduka very rarely are.

Agree 100% about the midfield, it is substandard and has been for the last two years.

Martins might yet score the goals we need to stay up, but he still blows too hot and cold for me. I would much prefer him to score "dead eye" clinical goals than these pot shots.

Just been reading this post in another thread.

one thing i'd truly love to see is a fully fit martins with a fully fit, ball playing midfield who can dictate a game

martins gets accused of (rightly to some degree) a lack of 'intelligence' on the pitch...for me a player with carrick's ability for example would recognise the danger someone like martins can cause and would force him to make certain runs into certain areas with the type of passes they play to him, i.e. force him to work the channels and play on the shoulder between FB/CB and look for more balls in behind defences

barton can do this but he's not played enough of course

martins isn't the greatest striker to every play game but with a better midfield his pace and strength would see him scoring a lot or making a lot imo, that's how dangerous he is...people are vastly underrating him now 'cause he's played with utter dogshit since turning up at NUFC and he's getting dragged down

anyone think andy cole was an intelligent striker?  me either, but he had successive managers and players who made him play to his strengths

we'll miss martins when he's gone, oh goodness how we'll miss him when he's gone and marlon harewood or shefki kuqi or someone replaces him...

Pretty much sums up my view on Martins in answer to your post NE5. Very good points raised by MM there.

Yeah, bring back Andy O'Brien, Garry Brady, Stephen Glass and Wayne Quinn!

or Craig Bellamy, Laurent Robert, Kieron Dyer, Gary Speed, Dietmar Hamman, Jonathon Woodgate, Micheal Owen, Jermaine Jenas, Gary Speed, Duncan Ferguson, Hugo Viana, Oba Martins, Scott Parker........you've got a good handle on the club, with a good view from Berlin there.

We need Gary Speed back twice? O0

one thing i'd truly love to see is a fully fit martins with a fully fit, ball playing midfield who can dictate a game

martins gets accused of (rightly to some degree) a lack of 'intelligence' on the pitch...for me a player with carrick's ability for example would recognise the danger someone like martins can cause and would force him to make certain runs into certain areas with the type of passes they play to him, i.e. force him to work the channels and play on the shoulder between FB/CB and look for more balls in behind defences

martins isn't the greatest striker to every play game but with a better midfield his pace and strength would see him scoring a lot or making a lot imo, that's how dangerous he is...people are vastly underrating him now 'cause he's played with utter dogshit since turning up at NUFC and he's getting dragged down

anyone think andy cole was an intelligent striker?  me either, but he had successive managers and players who made him play to his strengths

we'll miss martins when he's gone, oh goodness how we'll miss him when he's gone and marlon harewood or shefki kuqi or someone replaces him...

Pretty much sums up my view on Martins in answer to your post NE5. Very good points raised by MM there.

yep, I understand the points, I know he's dangerous and would be better in a better team. But I think his lack of composure goes against him. I think the best strikers score their goals from close in, because they are clinical, where there are a lot more goals to be scored, and this is why they are the best strikers.

Yeah, bring back Andy O'Brien, Garry Brady, Stephen Glass and Wayne Quinn!

or Craig Bellamy, Laurent Robert, Kieron Dyer, Gary Speed, Dietmar Hamman, Jonathon Woodgate, Micheal Owen, Jermaine Jenas, Gary Speed, Duncan Ferguson, Hugo Viana, Oba Martins, Scott Parker........you've got a good handle on the club, with a good view from Berlin there.

We need Gary Speed back twice? O0

That would be brilliant.

yep, I understand the points, I know he's dangerous and would be better in a better team. But I think his lack of composure goes against him. I think the best strikers score their goals from close in, because they are clinical, where there are a lot more goals to be scored, and this is why they are the best strikers.

Definitely, there is no doubt that Martins is a class below the top strikers, he doesn't have the true poacher's instinct of an Owen at his best, or a Van Nistelrooy. I don't think we have had that sort of class player in any position for a few years now other than Given.

Seems to be a clear difference for me with our recent signings compared to the type of players we used to sign

Jenas, Dyer, Speed, Robert, Solano, even Viana & Bowyer

All capable of scoring goals...that was the kind of player we used to look for.

We now have the likes of

Butt (Used to get some headers...shame thats gone) , Cacapa, Guthrie, Nolan (Hopefully will start getting some again), R taylor, Gutierrez (Rate him, but doesnt have an eye for goal) Barton (Same).

So if just 1 foward is out...we generally dont perform because our midfield wont get anything & so we lose games.

Sad that now we're happy with signing a player who can simply cross the ball half decently in Rtaylor.

Robson set up an attacking side, everyone in our side could score. Same with Keegan.

Even Bramble, Obrien, Bernard... had more chance of scoring than the likes of Colocinni, enrique & bassong atm.

Its actually only taylor who gets the odd goal outside of the fowards.

Read that we were interested in that lad who plays for Derby Kris Commons.

Exactly the kind of player we should be going for imo, so we probably wont.

We've all known we need a creative midfielder now, but we clearly also need one who also has a good strike on him. Or even a player who can actually head the ball half decently so that we might score from set pieces (Who is even half likely to be scoring from Taylors set pieces?). Bassong has a good head on him, if our training is sorted properly he could probably get in on some.

Read that we were interested in that lad who plays for Derby Kris Commons.

Exactly the kind of player we should be going for imo, so we probably wont.

We've all known we need a creative midfielder now, but we clearly also need one who also has a good strike on him. Or even a player who can actually head the ball half decently so that we might score from set pieces (Who is even half likely to be scoring from Taylors set pieces?). Bassong has a good head on him, if our training is sorted properly he could probably get in on some.

Watched him play for Forest in league one a few times. Nowhere near good enough imo.