Post 2004 Shearer, or present day Owen...

Yorkie

Shearer without a shadow of a doubt. I'd say his best seasons for us were 01/02, 02/03 and 03/04, not including his first season. His performances were top notch, he banged the goals in and he was a joy to watch.

When did people notice his performances declining? I have to say towards the end of the 03/04 season I noticed he was really struggling in some games. I remember having the conversation with my mates. Everyone said the same but we all thought he was just knackered and in need of a rest. Of course he put in some very good performances at the end of that season as well, but it was a sign of things to come because the Shearer of the following two seasons wasn't the same player. I just find it weird how he all of a sudden he went from the goal machine to the player he ended up being. It seemed to happen quite quickly really because he was banging the goals in then he just stopped.

I wouldn't say it's weird at all. Not when you realise that our best player of the time went out on loan to Celtic and then was sold to Blackburn.

Shearer without a shadow of a doubt. I'd say his best seasons for us were 01/02, 02/03 and 03/04, not including his first season. His performances were top notch, he banged the goals in and he was a joy to watch.

When did people notice his performances declining? I have to say towards the end of the 03/04 season I noticed he was really struggling in some games. I remember having the conversation with my mates. Everyone said the same but we all thought he was just knackered and in need of a rest. Of course he put in some very good performances at the end of that season as well, but it was a sign of things to come because the Shearer of the following two seasons wasn't the same player. I just find it weird how he all of a sudden he went from the goal machine to the player he ended up being. It seemed to happen quite quickly really because he was banging the goals in then he just stopped.

I wouldn't say it's weird at all. Not when you realise that our best player of the time went out on loan to Celtic and then was sold to Blackburn.

Exactly.  :nods:

He missed his mate buzzing about and creating space for him to do his stuff in. No co-incidence at all imo.

If you take the fitness thing out of it then I say Owen.

Also the state of the clubs then verses now has a bearing on how the current day Owen is percieved which is unfair imo.

Wish they could have had 5 years or so together for the mags.  :sadnod:

He missed his mate buzzing about and creating space for him to do his stuff in. No co-incidence at all imo.

So do you reckon if Shearer was playing in the same Newcastle team of the previous few years, he would have got 20 goals or more in 04/05 and  05/06?

Guest timmy boy

So do you reckon if Shearer was playing in the same Newcastle team of the previous few years, he would have got 20 goals or more in 04/05 and  05/06?

He still scored a very respectable 19 and 14 in his last two seasons, although he got a lot in the uefa cup.

and his supply line from the left went whe

yup, didn't help when his supply line from the left went too

No idea mate. :dontknow:

I'm saying Bellamy* helped Shearer's game and selling him for a pittance affected Shearer's game.

Edit: and Robert.

I'm saying Bellamy* helped Shearer's game and selling him for a pittance affected Shearer's game.

And Solano.

And Solano.

Yep.

Bellamy  Shearer

Robert                                  Solano.

Fucking hell, what I wouldn't give for that front 4 atm. :hmm:

Guest Sniffer

Even though he was running like he had ingrown toenails, running through a lagoon of custard,  Shearer still provided more to the team than Owen when fit.

Gets you a three year contract at Newcastle these days. You don't even have to score many goals either.

Shearer.

Struggling to think of one thing the present day Owen has over him tbh.

Owen really isn't that much faster anymore and Shearer was just as clever a player.

Owen doesn't have the hold up play, the shooting ability, the presence, the leadership, isn't as good a header of the ball as Shearer was ...

Shearer in his last season would probably even be more useful than Owen right now, with Oba alongside him, Jonas zipping around and Raylor whipping some of those crosses in.

And to top things off Owen is a weasel.

No contest.

Shearer.  He was a leader, he made others more confident by his presence.  He was a master at holding up the ball and also conning ref's by falling back in to players by the slightest tug.  Lots of free kicks gained that way.  He was fantastic finisher on the ground and in the air.  He could pass and flick on with head and feet very well too.  He also got back and was great at defending set pieces late on in games.

Owen offers great movement and quick thinking to get in scoring positions.  His finishing can be fantastic, although he has spells where he misses some (in particular his last few games for us).

Shearer just contributes way more and gets the goals.

Shearer without a doubt, imagine if he was in the team now, he would kick some of those useless cunts into shape.

Also i and im sorry others would give anything to see Shearer involved in a Newcastle United campaign again.

Wouldn't Shearer or Martins be a more appropriate debate?

Martins is much more easily compared to Bellamy. Our version of Shearer is either Ameobi (poor), Carroll (average), or Xisco (not given a chance). actually I've forgotten Viduka....but who could blame me. We have no targetman. All three of our good strikers play a similar style.

Wouldn't Shearer or Martins be a more appropriate debate?

Martins is much more easily compared to Bellamy. Our version of Shearer is either Ameobi (poor), Carroll (average), or Xisco (not given a chance). actually I've forgotten Viduka....but who could blame me. We have no targetman. All three of our good strikers play a similar style.

I don't think Martins actually plays anything like Bellamy though. The only thing they've got really as to why people compare them both is pace.