Wise going in Summer? NOTW Tomorrow

dustynrg

Aye, get rid of the scape goat. Ignore his good works.

Much like you're ignorning the lack of ability to strengthen the squad where it is needed. Then again I can't really say that as I'm not exactly sure what his role is like many others.

And I've said time and time again, how do you know his work is good? You won't know that until some of the young lads have had chance to develop in a couple of years time.

It's not Wise's fault he's not the Owner, his job is finding the players which he has in my opinion, Bassong alone has justified his fee, Colocinni has looked "Ok" Business, as has Jonas and Guthrie. We've had lots of young talent coming through the doors, ignroing how good Kadars been in my opinion he's doing everything you expect from a good DOF.

So are you going to completly ignore the gaping holes in the squad then?

Read my post above to Dan B, it's more than scouting the talent, it needs developing as well. And you can't say he's doing everything you expect from a good DOF as you don't actually know what his role is.

As I said, what do you want him to do? Ashley lets the money go not him, we saw all the players we were linked with in January, Donadel, Ebondo, Veloso, Etc. If the club can't negotiate a price be that because they are being cheap, or players are being over-valued so be it. The phrase "You can lead a horse to water.." springs to mind.

But then surely should he not work within his budget and try and get players that are actually attainable?

His job is to identify players that were attainable, if Ashley decides not to purchase them so be it.

Then how were they attainable if they were outside the amount set in the budget?

Guest Heneage

Much like you're ignorning the lack of ability to strengthen the squad where it is needed. Then again I can't really say that as I'm not exactly sure what his role is like many others.

And I've said time and time again, how do you know his work is good? You won't know that until some of the young lads have had chance to develop in a couple of years time.

It's not Wise's fault he's not the Owner, his job is finding the players which he has in my opinion, Bassong alone has justified his fee, Colocinni has looked "Ok" Business, as has Jonas and Guthrie. We've had lots of young talent coming through the doors, ignroing how good Kadars been in my opinion he's doing everything you expect from a good DOF.

Read my post above to Dan B, it's more than scouting the talent, it needs developing as well. And you can't say he's doing everything you expect from a good DOF as you don't actually know what his role is.

As I said, what do you want him to do? Ashley lets the money go not him, we saw all the players we were linked with in January, Donadel, Ebondo, Veloso, Etc. If the club can't negotiate a price be that because they are being cheap, or players are being over-valued so be it. The phrase "You can lead a horse to water.." springs to mind.

But then surely should he not work within his budget and try and get players that are actually attainable?

His job is to identify players that were attainable, if Ashley decides not to purchase them so be it.

Then how were they attainable if they were outside the amount set in the budget?

So what you are expecting Wise to know exact prices for these players? For all we know he could have found players in the budget and Ashley decided not to go for them or removed part of the budget. We will never know, all we know are the transfer targets that were identified.

In a simple and entirely hypothetical scenario - perhaps the agent of Ebondo was contacted, and Wise was told he'd be available for 2-4m, so Wise told Ashley that he was a viable target. But then his club demanded 6m, thus making a seemingly attainable target unattainable?

Entirely hypothetical, with made-up figures, but plausible nonetheless...?

Question: Why dosent the manager a) Identify the players himself & b) have his own scouts to identify the players & report back to him?

Because we have a ED(F) who gets credit for all the signings that are doing well. Elsewhere the bit part players (Guthrie/Xisco) have been/are classed as KEEGAN BUYS!!!!

So what you are expecting Wise to know exact prices for these players? For all we know he could have found players in the budget and Ashley decided not to go for them or removed part of the budget. We will never know, all we know are the transfer targets that were identified.

Well if that's the case then Keegan identified Ronaldinho, Henry and Frank Lampard. Now that's an eye for talent. I suppose the constraints of a budget never mattered for those as well.

Question: Why dosent the manager a) Identify the players himself & b) have his own scouts to identify the players & report back to him?

Because we have a ED(F) who gets credit for all the signings that are doing well. Elsewhere the bit part players (Guthrie/Xisco) have been/are classed as KEEGAN BUYS!!!!

Guthrie has been a good buy IMO, our best CM this season by an absolute mile, not that he's had much competition, mind. Still, a good prospect.

Well if that's the case then Keegan identified Ronaldinho, Henry and Frank Lampard. Now that's an eye for talent. I suppose the constraints of a budget never mattered for those as well.

Keegan always had a hint of 'fantasy football' about him though, he was an optimist. Although those players probably wouldn't blink even if we offered them decent money, he probably believed that he and the club was a big enough pull for the likes of Modric, except we weren't and he either decided to ignore or rebel against Ashley's "resale value" strategy.

Guthrie has been a good buy IMO, our best CM this season by an absolute mile, not that he's had much competition, mind. Still, a good prospect.

If Guthrie works out & Wise is still at the SJP, I am sure the Guthrie will  be assimilated as one Dirty Dens first signings.

Guest Heneage

You are being facetious now if we are honest.

From the Beeb today...

Coventry City's executive chairman Ray Ranson has emerged as a strong candidate for the chief executive roles at Liverpool and Newcastle United. (Daily Mail)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1158369/CHARLES-SALE-Premier-League-pair-paying-Ranson.html

Ray Ranson, the footballer turned businessman who transformed the finances of Coventry City, has emerged as a strong candidate for the chief executive roles at both Liverpool and Newcastle.

Liverpool are searching for a replacement for Rick Parry who leaves at the end of the season, while Newcastle are expected to re-structure their club management operation this summer.

Ranson's name has already been mooted at Anfield and St James' Park after his extraordinary success as executive chairman at Championship club Coventry, who had debts of nearly £40million when the former Manchester City player led a consortium takeover in December 2007.

Since then Ranson has transformed the set-up at Coventry to the extent that the club are operating without a bank overdraft and have a promising young team under manager Chris Coleman.

Ranson, also well known for developing the Pro-Zone tactics aid, said: 'It's flattering that other clubs are taking an interest in what we're doing at Coventry, but there's a long way to go.'

Still remember when he scaled the fences at the leazes end after scoring a consolation against QPR in 1989 - the way he celebrated you'd think he'd just completed his hattrick!!  ;D  :frantic:

Just read that on BBC gossip. Should of had its own thread. I thought he was the owner of Coventry? Billtray this is your patch do the groundwork & report back, if you dont we will send you to Coventry.

Ray Ranson is chairman of Coventry City,and head of the consortium which bought thrm out 18 months ago.I don't know if he has personal financial intersts but if this story is true,then i would doubt he hasd.He has done a very good job here,by being prudent...imo a necessity for our club.His son,follows Newcastle everywhere apparently,only watching the Sky Blues with his dad if Newcastle have no fixture.

Keegan always had a hint of 'fantasy football' about him though, he was an optimist. Although those players probably wouldn't blink even if we offered them decent money, he probably believed that he and the club was a big enough pull for the likes of Modric, except we weren't and he either decided to ignore or rebel against Ashley's "resale value" strategy.

The 1st reports of KK wanting them players came in the News Of The Screws in a article written by Ashleys friend Rob Beasley.  Rob Beasley.

Tooj after reading the old article again Rob also make out mad man king messiah Kev wanted Beckham as well as those other players. This being the same Kev who got "DRAGGED TO LONDON" for saying: "I was thinking, 'what have I got to do next year to get near them [Chelsea]' - and the truth is there's nothing I can do at all.

"I haven't got enough money and I wouldn't be able to get the players anyway, so I'll soldier on"

Yet with his batteries recharged in the summer after his pep talk with Mike,  KK was telling Dennis, Mike & co go out get me 4 of the marquee players in the worlds.

From the Beeb today...

Coventry City's executive chairman Ray Ranson has emerged as a strong candidate for the chief executive roles at Liverpool and Newcastle United. (Daily Mail)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1158369/CHARLES-SALE-Premier-League-pair-paying-Ranson.html

Ray Ranson, the footballer turned businessman who transformed the finances of Coventry City, has emerged as a strong candidate for the chief executive roles at both Liverpool and Newcastle.

Liverpool are searching for a replacement for Rick Parry who leaves at the end of the season, while Newcastle are expected to re-structure their club management operation this summer.

Ranson's name has already been mooted at Anfield and St James' Park after his extraordinary success as executive chairman at Championship club Coventry, who had debts of nearly £40million when the former Manchester City player led a consortium takeover in December 2007.

Since then Ranson has transformed the set-up at Coventry to the extent that the club are operating without a bank overdraft and have a promising young team under manager Chris Coleman.

Ranson, also well known for developing the Pro-Zone tactics aid, said: 'It's flattering that other clubs are taking an interest in what we're doing at Coventry, but there's a long way to go.'

Still remember when he scaled the fences at the leazes end after scoring a consolation against QPR in 1989 - the way he celebrated you'd think he'd just completed his hattrick!!  ;D  :frantic:

Just read that on BBC gossip. Should of had its own thread. I thought he was the owner of Coventry? Billtray this is your patch do the groundwork & report back, if you dont we will send you to Coventry.

Ray Ranson is chairman of Coventry City,and head of the consortium which bought thrm out 18 months ago.I don't know if he has personal financial intersts but if this story is true,then i would doubt he hasd.He has done a very good job here,by being prudent...imo a necessity for our club.His son,follows Newcastle everywhere apparently,only watching the Sky Blues with his dad if Newcastle have no fixture.

Cheers BT. Keep eyes peeled on the local Coventry rag for Ranson or the Fox kid moving to SJP.