U23s & Academy

Skirge

2-0 up though the site seems to be broke so goodness knows what the score is now.

10min - NEWCASTLE GOAL (2-0): The Millers surrender possession midway inside their own half allowing Wesley Ngo Baheng to feed a low through ball to the supporting Shane Ferguson. The Northern Ireland international is some 20 yards from goal but has the confidence to take on a first-time effort and drills low into the bottom corner leaving Jamie Annerson no chance.

3min - NEWCASTLE GOAL (1-0): United centre-back Matthew Grieve makes a nuisance of himself at the near post from Shane Ferguson's corner and, when the ball drops kindly for Joan Edmundsson, the Faroe Islands midfielder turns a smart scissor-kick into the bottom corner from just four yards out.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'd really like to see us take up the option on Edmundson. He's a smart hard working player with a bit of talent, only thing lacking his physical strength. Even than he still gets stuck in and wins headers, but just lacks the frame to stick up for himself. We hammered them in 10 mins than took the foot of the gas and not much else happened after that. Some smart football between Vuckic, Ferguson and Edmundson but the front three disappeared deep too often.

I think it was suppose to be a 4-5-1 with Baheng the point man, but he was never to be found, and the times he was he was offside. Vuckic drifted all over, as he does, and Edmundson drifted too, also affective.

Worryingly Kadar seemed to have his hands full with their #9, and I'd even say that their #9 won the battle and got right under Kadar's skin. He wasn't amazing, just a wind up merchant and it seemed to get to Kadar.

Alnwick made some class saves too.

Two players, other than Baheng, disappeared today:

Donaldson

McLaughlin

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

To think Donaldson got a fucking medal. :lol:

He played 80mins and I can't think of what he did, they've really turned him into Alan Smith v2. What he did do he kept it tidy I guess.

I'd really like to see us take up the option on Edmundson. He's a smart hard working player with a bit of talent, only thing lacking his physical strength. Even than he still gets stuck in and wins headers, but just lacks the frame to stick up for himself. We hammered them in 10 mins than took the foot of the gas and not much else happened after that. Some smart football between Vuckic, Ferguson and Edmundson but the front three disappeared deep too often.

I think it was suppose to be a 4-5-1 with Baheng the point man, but he was never to be found, and the times he was he was offside. Vuckic drifted all over, as he does, and Edmundson drifted too, also affective.

Worryingly Kadar seemed to have his hands full with their #9, and I'd even say that their #9 won the battle and got right under Kadar's skin. He wasn't amazing, just a wind up merchant and it seemed to get to Kadar.

Alnwick made some class saves too.

Two players, other than Baheng, disappeared today:

Donaldson

McLaughlin

i'd agree with you Chris about Edmondon, thought he played well tonight and looks promising, that was only the 3rd time i've seen him and tonight was the best i've seen him, got some lovely touches just needs too get stronger but i'm sure that will come in time.

Disagree about Kadar though i thought he just cruised through the game in 2nd gear, yes he had a few little battles with their striker but Kadar came out on top, think he was just told to go out and just test out his injury and take it easy.

Thought Vuckic was quite quiet and could have/should have had a couple of goals, dragged a good chance wide just before Fergie scored from a similar position,  went close with a curler from 20 yards bang on half time then missed a really good chance when he put a Fergie cross over the bar from 6 yards.

Agree again about Donaldson,  another poor game and did very little until he went off injured.  Paddy McLauglin actually had one of his better games,  he's a neat and tidy little player but he's not going to make it at NUFC.  Thought young Dummett had another good game at LB and he's getting better and better.

Also think tonight was the most left footed players i've seen in one team,  Lough, Dummett, Kadar, Ferguson, Mclaughlin, Vuckic, Edmondson and Folan.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Aye, was mental the amount of left footers playing - even Alnwick in goal!

I'm half and half on Paddy McLaughlin, he looked really good for the youth team at the beginning of the year, but hasn't really stepped up. He's got some good vision, but he's a little Nicky Butt with his long range passes at times, other times they're right on the money. Gets stuck in well, but isn't vocal enough for the guy who sits deep. He's suppose to be organise of the midfield and it just isn't happening.

Heard Tommo shout over to him a few times to get them organised and he never did.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Last Reserve game of the Season today.

2pm

Benton

Also last chance for some of the young uns to earn a new pro deal.

Wesley Ngo Baheng

Callum Morris

Darren Lough

Matthew Grieves

Patrick McLaughlin

James Taylor

Daniel Leadbitter

James Tavenier

Max Johnson

Also a few youth players are coming to the end of their 2 year scholarship and will be looking for their first pro deal.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Probably not, if I'm honest. I'd say James Taylor, but thats more to do with how much I know he wants to play for the Toon and his parents are really canny.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Toon 3 - 0 Grimsby

Airey Hatrick

-------------------Johnson----------------

Lough---Tavenier---Folan---Dummett

----------------------------------------------

Godsmark-Inman--Newton-Ferguson

----------------------------------------------

--------------Airey------Ameobi-----------

Subs

Alnwick

McLaughlin

Vuckic

Baheng

Toon scored after 7mins after a great long through ball from the defense by Dummett dropped behind and in front of Airey who took it in his stride into the area for a simple slot home past the keeper. This was the theme of the match with countless long through balls from defense over Grimsby for Airey to run on to, Airey's biggest problem of the game was the linesmen who seemed to have a personal battle to flag him offside as many times as possible. Though in the linesmens defense Airey wasn't always aware of where the defending line was.

Airey's second was similar to the first but came from some good build up on the wing, with a through ball placed into his path that left him with another simple finish for 2-0. After that the Toon took their foot off the gas, with countless long balls hit up the field for Airey to win. Tommo was desperate for Inman and Newton to hang back and than chase onto the knock downs, but it just didn't happen with the two center mids being pretty ineffective for most of the 1st half (both later substituded).

Newcastle came close to a third before half time when some quick attacking and passing on the ground down the right wing saw Godsmark break into the area, however the small (and slightly chubby looking) winger couldn't pull the trigger and instead opted to pass to Airey (possibly for the hattrick), he too couldn't shoot with a tackle causing the ball to bobble loose to Amoebi. Ameobi took too long too with the ball falling to Ferguson's feet on the edge of the area, he cut inside and tried a chip over the keeper only to see the ball bounce off the crossbar.

The ball was loosely cleared to the edge to the edge of the area where Newton tried a long range shot that was deflected wide for a corner.

Half time saw Newcastle bring on Wesley Ngo Baheng for Sammy Ameobi. The strong Frenchmen had an eventful 45mins coming close to score 4 times in the space of 10 mins, all shots going agonisingly close. You could see the frustration on Baheng's face, he was desperate to score - it could have been the difference between an extension on his pro deal or not.

McLaughlin came on for Inman, with Vuckic replacing Newton later on. However, with the nature of the game being long balls through for Airey, it was never going to be a game Vuckic could impose himself on. A gentle reminder for those expecting huge things from him in the 1st team. However, when the ball was on the deck Vuckic linked up well with Ferguson, a partnership that worked well at youth level, and got the little winger into positions to cross plenty of times. However, there was very rarely anyone in the penalty area to aim for. Airey had a habit of moving into the flanks, and Baheng dropping deep.

Airey's third came from another long ball over the back four from Dummett, a smart touch took it around the defender enabling Airey to cut infront of his man. He was brought down in the area for a penalty. A smart finish tucked away into the bottom right hand post cemented his hattrick.

Also in attendance:

Colin Calderwood

Paul Barron

Bryan 'Pop' Robson

Willie Donachie

Alan Smith

And the fucking Oddities who turned up at half time and wet their pants when they saw Alan Smith. They should be banned on sight.

I'm not sure if the Toon will award Baheng with a 1 year extension to his contract, as from the games I've seen him play he can't milk the knee injury card anymore. Its clear to see he does have some sort of talent, but he'll never cut it for the Toon. However, with the lack of options at Reserve level next year (Strikers: Airey, Ameobi, Spear) he may strike it lucky.

Godsmark played 90mins and aside from one good cross and one incident of smart link up play down the right that led to a chance he did very little. His work rate was questionable, rarely tracking back to help Darren Lough, he doesn't seem as fast as he once was and looks to have put on weight. I think his Toon days are over.

The regularity with which Baheng has scored should see him net a deal imo.

He's only scored 8 goals this season and thats  against  reserve teams from the likes of Rotherham, Hartlepool, Lincoln etc,  hardly fills you with confidence he will score in the PL. It also doesn't help that  he plays like a headless chicken and his team link up play is poor.  Yes his time here as been blighted by injury but thats they way it goes sometimes and its a case of being in the right place at the right time.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Phil Airey has an eye for goal like, he has he scored more reserve goals than Ranger ?

This season? Aye, but than Nile's hardly appeared for the reserves. As for Brayson, he was a natural goalscorer, but 2' tall! Airey isn't as natural, but puts a shift in. His decision making at times isn't decisive or selfish enough to be a true poacher.

The Youth Cup game against Villa at home, he had plenty of balls land at his feet and he didn't look confident enough to try a shot, at times it looked like he wasn't even expecting them to arrive.

Phil Airey has an eye for goal like, he has he scored more reserve goals than Ranger ?

This season? Aye, but than Nile's hardly appeared for the reserves. As for Brayson, he was a natural goalscorer, but 2' tall! Airey isn't as natural, but puts a shift in. His decision making at times isn't decisive or selfish enough to be a true poacher.

The Youth Cup game against Villa at home, he had plenty of balls land at his feet and he didn't look confident enough to try a shot, at times it looked like he wasn't even expecting them to arrive.

More than Ranger scored last season ?

He has been hear since he was 10 worked his way up through the ranks, be interesting to see if he does make it to the 1st team.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

These are the names I'm projecting to come through from the U16s to the U18s in the Summer. Some of them are no brainers considering we've just signed them, or they're Internationals at youth level.

Dennis Knight- Striker

??/??/1994 - Newcastle

Marcus Maddison - Striker

25/09/1994 - Durham

Scott Mould - Defender

28/02/1994 (Sunderland)

Alex Nicholson - Left Back

01/02/1994 - Newcastle

Jamie Smith - Goalkeeper

21/01/1994 - Liverpool

Lee-Ryan Toland - DRC

02/10/1994 - N.Ireland

Michael Hoganson and Remi Streete and both still eligible for U16s, but will probably be promoted to U18s.

Possibly add:

Sam Morris - Right Wing

12/05/94 (Newcastle)

That would give us an U18s Squad of:

GK

Ben Robinson

Jamie Smith

Jak Alnwick (though will probably be in the Reserves)

RB

Patrick Nzuzi

Lee-Ryan Toalnd

CB

Lee-Ryan Toland

Remi Streete

LB

Alex Nicholson

RM

Ryan McGorrigan

Sam Morris

CM