U23s & Academy

Skirge

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Word has reached me Alan Thompson has left the club

Was all over the Scottish Papers during the weekend. Suppose to be three of them in charge, similar to how Hughton/Calderwood/Barron looked after 1st team affairs, can't remember the name of the third guy though. Bit disappointing he's chosen to go, however, if its a step up to 1st team coach its good for his career progression.

Johan Mjällby, isn't it?

Aye, that was it!

Was all over the Scottish Papers during the weekend. Suppose to be three of them in charge, similar to how Hughton/Calderwood/Barron looked after 1st team affairs, can't remember the name of the third guy though. Bit disappointing he's chosen to go, however, if its a step up to 1st team coach its good for his career progression.

Not to sure on that :pow:

ZOMG - ITK!

Lennon was at the training ground last season to see Thompson and it seemed to be understood from that point onwards that he would be going.  I guess he was waiting to see if Lennon got offered the job permanently.

However, for the sake of developing our youngsters, it seems we have a real struggle to hold on to the coaches as soon as a better job comes up.

The Journal is now getting on this Vibe

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/06/02/coach-alan-thompson-to-leave-nufc-for-celtic-61634-26567943/

There are some points I think are wrong :pow:

The Journal reckons Martin Scott may be incoming & as he has no club, lives in the area, this  makes him a ideal "cheap as chips" move for us.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Totally missed this one last year:

http://footballsup.com/2009/01/the-new-gazza/

Newcastle have signed Paul Gascoigne’s seven year old nephew Cameron after he scored 22 goals in a 30 minute junior match. A stellar performance, we’re sure you’ll agree.

Cameron is the son of Paul’s sister Lindsay, who hopes that the youngsters potential rise to prominence can be a motivator for Gazza to get over his drug and alcohol problem.

“It will give him something really positive to focus on,” she is reported to say.

If he can focus on anything, that is – he probably thinks the two youngsters would make a great strikeforce…

Wonder if he's still there.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Cant see DL & MA giving the gig to one Shearers  close pals.

More than likely an internal promotion either Donachie or Steve Stone.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Who draws up a short list and makes the decision seeing there is no football man on the board?

At a guess I'd imagine Joe Joyce and Chris Hughton would have some say who comes in on the coaching staff. Even though its the Reserve Manager, he'll be pulling 1st team coaching sessions, and looking after the youths progressed to the reserves. Thats in an idea world anyway, and we all know what planet Mike Ashley lives on at times.

Small sample of something from yesterday's Journal where they talked to North East Youth Football Don Peter Kirkley:

He would have been responsible for helping the development of another England World Cup hopeful if Adam Johnson hadn’t been cut from the squad. Manchester City’s flying winger had been rejected by Newcastle and Sunderland as a 12-year-old before Kirkley encouraged employers Middlesbrough to take a chance on him.

Just a few months ago he declined an offer to provide assistance in the youth set-up at Sunderland, where former graduate Steve Bruce is doing a fine job of turning the Black Cats into a top-ten Premier League club.

He prefers to concentrate on working for Wallsend – and helping out at Newcastle. “It’s been great to have Steve back on the patch, he’s not changed. He’s still a credit to the club,” he said.

“He’s desperate to get me into Sunderland but Wallsend is my number one priority, and I still do a bit for Newcastle too.

When Dennis Wise came in he had this idea I was too old but what he forgets is that it is the eyes that tell you whether someone will be a player or not and you only get that experience from watching a lot of football.

As three former World Cup caps for England would testify, there are few finer spotters than Wallsend’s great servant.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/06/03/michael-carrick-will-extend-a-proud-tradition-61634-26576593/2/

Money at the time:

Gavin Tait, a local lad, is head of academy recruitment.

"And Ray Gooding, who was at Coventry with me when I did a similar job and is from Hartlepool, has joined us as recruitment officer.

"Peter Kirkley has been a great servant to United, but the general situation has moved on a great deal. Peter is going to step aside and watch games for us, which is what he enjoys doing.

"We must adopt a new modern approach to recruitment."

Thank f*** Wise & Money are now gone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ObiChrisKenobi

He's a hardworking fullback and will probably be the fittest person you have at the club. Can't say much for Marwood, never really saw him play as reserve games weren't up the road when he was with us.