U23s & Academy

Skirge

The Marwood signing comes as a bit of a surprise as he was at Blyth last season with Sadler, then left for Team Northumbria when he went there. As Sadler is our new number two, he must see potential in him.

When Kris Gate, Craig Baxter and Phil Cave joined us from Newcastle Reserves a couple of seasons back, they all struggled for the first 10 to 15 games due to the physical nature of senior football. But once they got used to dealing with it/toughened up, their class shone through.

The above does make me wonder why Newcastle and Sunderland appear to wrap their young players in cotton wool, rather than sending them out on-loan for short spells to toughen them up. Some Reserve matches I've watched, it's almost as if the players are going through the motions at times with an unwritten rule not to tackle heavy. Maybe more would come through to the first team if they had a bit experience?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The Marwood signing comes as a bit of a surprise as he was at Blyth last season with Sadler, then left for Team Northumbria when he went there. As Sadler is our new number two, he must see potential in him.

When Kris Gate, Craig Baxter and Phil Cave joined us from Newcastle Reserves a couple of seasons back, they all struggled for the first 10 to 15 games due to the physical nature of senior football. But once they got used to dealing with it/toughened up, their class shone through.

The above does make me wonder why Newcastle and Sunderland appear to wrap their young players in cotton wool, rather than sending them out on-loan for short spells to toughen them up. Some Reserve matches I've watched, it's almost as if the players are going through the motions at times with an unwritten rule not to tackle heavy. Maybe more would come through to the first team if they had a bit experience?

The fear of losing money if they get injured, thats the only thing I can think of. The only time the Toon seem to loan players out is when they know they don't want them anymore and want to start shopping them out with the hope of selling. Nile Ranger will be the first Toon 'Youth' I can think of to be loaned out, if it does happen, next season.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

You know what, you're right and I'm totally ashamed I forgot that.  :doh:

Krul was out twice no less, Forster was out at Stockport, Bristol and Norwich. Man, I feel stupid.  :facepalm:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

To be fair that's 3 of how many?

Johnny Godsmark too! But aye, its a rare sight, though seems to be on the upwards trend, which is good.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

bernard went to darlington

Well, aye, if we're going to be phoning the club historian, I'm sure we can find a lot of loans.

and Shola to Stoke.

So we're looking at less than 1 6 month loan deal a season on average - hardly worth shouting about. Though I admit I was a bit dumb to overlook that we have actually loaned people out. Still think the overall lack of them is down to fear of injuries/losing future money.

Well, aye, if we're going to be phoning the club historian, I'm sure we can find a lot of loans.

and Shola to Stoke.

So we're looking at less than 1 6 month loan deal a season on average - hardly worth shouting about. Though I admit I was a bit dumb to overlook that we have actually loaned people out. Still think the overall lack of them is down to fear of injuries/losing future money.

bernard and carroll went on loan to get them experineced and up to speed.

shola went on loan hopefully with a view to getting rid.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

and Shola to Stoke.

bernard and carroll went on loan to get them experineced and up to speed.

shola went on loan hopefully with a view to getting rid.

Aye, I was talking about Shola and Jonny Godsmark when I said the ones we have loaned out were done so to get them a move out of the club. Still there's a huge list of kids in the reserves that would benefit from a loan next season.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

An old link (2008) on the website recruiting positions within the academy:

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20080723/nufc-academy-situations-vacant_2240137_1349426

Academy Goalkeeping Coach

Newcastle United requires a qualified and experienced Goalkeeping Coach to work within the Newcastle United Academy. Reporting to, and under the guidance of, the Senior Goalkeeping Coach the successful applicant will be responsible for coaching and developing goalkeepers primarily at academy level.

Main duties will include the implementation and application of a technical and tactical development programme for goalkeepers aged between nine and eighteen years.

This position will be subject to a successful enhanced CRB disclosure.

To apply for this position please send your CV along with your current salary to:

Emma Charlton, Head of HR, Newcastle United Football Club, St. James' Park, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4ST

Email: [email protected]

Academy Analyst

Newcastle United requires an experienced Analyst to work within the Newcastle United Academy.

Main duties will include filming and analysing academy matches and training sessions.

Experience of performance analysis is essential. Knowledge of AMISCO and SportsCode systems would be an advantage.

The successful applicant must be flexible and be able to work weekends.

To apply for this position please send your CV along with your current salary to:

Emma Charlton, Head of HR, Newcastle United Football Club, St. James' Park, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4ST

Closing Date: Wednesday, 6th August 2008

Academy Recruitment Officer

Newcastle United requires a pro-active and highly motivated individual with a proven track record in the identification and recruitment of young players. Reporting to and working closely with the Academy Manager the successful applicant will play a key part in the future success and development of the Newcastle United Academy.

Duties will include:

·Establishing a comprehensive scouting and talent identification structure.

·Ensuring recommended players are tracked and monitored.

·Developing and overseeing a local recruitment strategy.

·Establishing new and enhancing existing relationships with local clubs and schools.

Nothing major, just thought I'd share as I thought it was interesting. Not sure if Emma Charlton still works at the club, haven't tried to email her (yet), though might give it a go to see if there are any vacancies currently go. If only to be nosey.

Dickie Dosh on Brad.

THE Socceroos are on the verge of losing possibly their hottest young talent to Scotland.

Brad Inman is an 18-year-old attacking midfielder poised to break into the English Premier League season with Newcastle United after a blistering season for their youth team.

But Adelaide-born and bred Inman is playing for Scotland under 19s and scored for them only a month ago in Euro qualifying loss to Belgium, after making his debut in February last year.

His former coach Richard Money has told FFA to go after him - he must commit to Australia by 21 - or else losing a future Socceroo.

"Absolutely, they need to secure him," declared Money, a former A-League coach with Newcastle Jets.

"He's got experience at international youth level, he's in and around the first team and if he becomes the player I think he will become a full international.

"I'm hearing Newcastle won't spend much so one or two of their young players will get a chance and if that's the case Brad will be one of them.

"He made his debut when I was there (in 2008-09), he came on at Man City in the Carling Cup when he was just 17 and has always been highly rated."

Money revealed that the Magpies encouraged Inman to accept an invitation from Scotland's u19s because of the proximity to Newcastle.

The situation is similar to Rhys Williams and Shane Lowry, who played for Wales and Ireland's respective under-21 sides after dropping off the Australian radar. Luckily the Socceroos rightfully snatched them back at the 11th hour.

"Scotland's very close to Newcastle and there was a chance to play youth football so we said it wouldn't hold him back to make his choice at senior level," he said.

Money described Inman as the perfect modern-day player.

"He's all-action and he can do it all - great energy, good size, good athlete, he can cover the pitch, he's technically sound and he can finish," Money said.

"He's pretty much got everything you want in a modern footballer. He's an attacking midfielder along the lines of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard rather than a Gareth Barry.

"I watched Australia lose to Germany and it looked like a squad that's gone one tournament too far.

"At some stage a rebuilding job has to be done and I'm sure Brad will be good enough to be a part of that."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/world-cup-2010/socceroos-set-to-lose-next-cahill/story-fn4l4sip-1225881753933

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Journal ran a bit on us having a possibly connection/deal with Carlisle to send some of our youngsters over on loan for 1st team experience next season. What be great if it actually goes through - seems likely that it will since we have a friendly against them too. Hughton seems to rate that Carlisle manager (who was an Academy Coach at Man City and Leeds).

Guest Know_All

Journal ran a bit on us having a possibly connection/deal with Carlisle to send some of our youngsters over on loan for 1st team experience next season. What be great if it actually goes through - seems likely that it will since we have a friendly against them too. Hughton seems to rate that Carlisle manager (who was an Academy Coach at Man City and Leeds).

He has never been an academy coach at Man City  :iamatwat:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Aye, I read that wrong. Was at Leeds, and helped develop the Man City kids he had last season. btw you still come across as a bit of a twat, nice to see you haven't learned anything from our last conversation.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/06/22/promising-magpies-may-help-carlisle-61634-26697212/

BBC ran a piece on our young 'uns, having their bit say on who they thought would break out: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/8729065.stm

In the comments section there's a guy saying we signed the 14 year old Swedish/Bosnian keeper we had on trial back in April/May.

Guest Heneage

How are Max Johnson and Aaron Spear rated by our regular watchers?I know Spear came with quite a fanfare, and Johnson seems to have been with us for an age.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Don't think Max Johnson will be handed a pro deal. His kicking is terrible, not sure I've ever seen him make a save and doesn't seem very commanding on his back line. Physically he seems 'small for a keeper', though I think he's around 6'1" (so still has a few years to grow). If I'm holding that against Johnson, I've got to hold it against Jak Alnwick too, who seems really small and unopposing in the area at the moment (though he's a young 'un and will get better).

Out of the youth keepers I saw last year, I'd rate them:

1. Jak Alnwick

2. Max Johnson

3. Ben Robinson

Though Johnson is too old for the u18s now, and will probably be fighting Alnwick for the reserve games (unless Forster stays with us).

As for Aaron Spear he had such a stop start season, didn't feature that heavily at first, came of the bench for a few minutes here and there. Not sure I've seen him play a game as a natural striker, always seems to be used on the right or left of a front 'three' (4-5-1 with attacking wingers). You can see the technique that people were raving about, showed some lovely touches and vision to spread a pass.

But I think he'll need some heavy nurturing, has a natural anger/red mist to his game (ala Rooney) and picked up silly bookings (and a sending off) last season due to out right aggression/frustration coming into his game.

Hopefully he can rest up and get back to full fitness and returns to Newcastle. Reading his Facebook status was a bit worrying, and I felt sorry for the lad, but hopefully the comments were said due to his knee injury. The clips I saw of the Friendship Cup thingy were probably the best I've seen him play for us so far, which is probably the first solid run he was given too.

Always feel harsh giving opinions on the young uns like.

Guest MrSundlofer
In the comments section there's a guy saying we signed the 14 year old Swedish/Bosnian keeper we had on trial back in April/May.

I wrote and told about him some weeks ago in this thread.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Aye - any idea if he's chosen a team to go to yet or is waiting at his current club till he's 16?