Financial meltdown?

Guest Wally_McFool

But you cant sell the players to reduce the operating costs, and then sell them again to cover the drop in income. With three of our most valuable assets already off the books we’d have to sell half the squad to break even. Good you might say, but they have to be replaced with something, and something very cheap. Would replacing Collocini with Craig Short fill you with confidence?

I don't get what you mean.   If you reduce the operating costs you already cover the drop in income, because income is used to pay the operating costs..  Plus when you sell the player you not only reduce costs through cutting wages but you also bring money in through transfer fees (if you get a fee that is).

My point is we won't need to sell half the squad to break even if we reduce the costs enough to begin with.

I’m not surprised. It confuses the hell out of me.

There‘s three ‘separate’ losses in the event of relegation.

The fall in TV revenue (£44m)

The fall in gate receipts and corporate stuff (£19)

The predicated operating loss if we’d stayed up (£7m)

Grand total of to break even next season if we go down, £70m.

Now forget Owen. His wages have already been paid upfront with the Northern Rock sponsorship money, and having him off the wage bill would have already been factored into the predicted £7m loss for next season. The same goes for Viduka and probably Geremi who is also out of contract at the end of the season.

So if we are to break even we have to find £40m (after parachute payments) to break even.

<pause for inevitable quibbling>

He's creating an efficient business mate.

Doesn't really matter what league we are in or anything, he's just creating an efficient business. Many people on here wanted this. So they ought to be happy with it. Good old Mike, and the "plan" he had which his predecessors never had, ever.

We might get some good away trips at Blackpool, Bournemouth, Southend and Plymouth in the next few years.

who ?

as i remember it most just saw that we couldn't just go on racking up more and more debt year on year. as plenty other clubs have come to realise.

But you cant sell the players to reduce the operating costs, and then sell them again to cover the drop in income. With three of our most valuable assets already off the books we’d have to sell half the squad to break even. Good you might say, but they have to be replaced with something, and something very cheap. Would replacing Collocini with Craig Short fill you with confidence?

I don't get what you mean.   If you reduce the operating costs you already cover the drop in income, because income is used to pay the operating costs..  Plus when you sell the player you not only reduce costs through cutting wages but you also bring money in through transfer fees (if you get a fee that is).

My point is we won't need to sell half the squad to break even if we reduce the costs enough to begin with.

Now forget Owen. His wages have already been paid upfront with the Northern Rock sponsorship money, and having him off the wage bill would have already been factored into the predicted £7m loss for next season. The same goes for Viduka and probably Geremi who is also out of contract at the end of the season.

So if we are to break even we have to find £40m (after parachute payments) to break even.

Doesn't really matter what league we are in or anything, he's just creating an efficient business. Many people on here wanted this. So they ought to be happy with it. Good old Mike, and the "plan" he had which his predecessors never had, ever.

We might get some good away trips at Blackpool, Bournemouth, Southend and Plymouth in the next few years.

who ?

as i remember it most just saw that we couldn't just go on racking up more and more debt year on year. as plenty other clubs have come to realise.

why bother?

who ?

why bother?

I could say the same. Particularly when you - and he - knows perfectly well that my statement that the vast majority of this board disagreed with me is true, and thought that Ashley looking to make profits rather than show ambition on the pitch was the way to go.

Guest fading star

who ?

why bother?

I could say the same. Particularly when you - and he - knows perfectly well that my statement that the vast majority of this board disagreed with me is true, and thought that Ashley looking to make profits rather than show ambition on the pitch was the way to go.

This is what sets Ashey apart. The performance of the team isn’t the driver for his business. He’s looking to make his money in other ways. It’s a revolutionary approach to running a PL football club of NUFC's size.

who ?

why bother?

This is what sets Ashey apart. The performance of the team isn’t the driver for his business. He’s looking to make his money in other ways. It’s a revolutionary approach to running a PL football club of NUFC's size.

Is that tongue in cheek?

I've been as supportive of Ashleys way of running the club this season, but he has one idea of how to bring success and money into the club and that is to have a structure in place which will uncover 6 or 7 young gems who will either be moulded into a team or moved on. To the side of this is the need to remove large earners with low impact (Viduka et al).

This has on the surface all gone pear shaped this season and I can't even begin to defend the current  :kinnear: situation but below the first team this is continuing. There is very little evidence that he is looking at making money through Newcastle in any other way

Guest fading star

who ?

why bother?

Is that tongue in cheek?

I've been as supportive of Ashleys way of running the club this season, but he has one idea of how to bring success and money into the club and that is to have a structure in place which will uncover 6 or 7 young gems who will either be moulded into a team or moved on. To the side of this is the need to remove large earners with low impact (Viduka et al).

This has on the surface all gone pear shaped this season and I can't even begin to defend the current  :kinnear: situation but below the first team this is continuing. There is very little evidence that he is looking at making money through Newcastle in any other way

No. There’s many different approaches to running a football club, but they all work on the ‘do better on the pitch and generate more money’ principle. Ashley clearly isn’t bothered about doing better on the pitch, so he must have another plan for lining his pockets.

which will uncover 6 or 7 young gems who will either be moulded into a team or moved on.

Problem is, over what time frame is this going to happen. Certainly not over 1,2,3,4 or 5 seasons in my opinion

Man U got very lucky once and uncovered 5 or 6 all within the same youth team. The chances of the same thing happening to NUFC are negligible at best. More likely never to happen.

The chances of us developing even 1 good young starlet are tiny at the minute given the management and coaching set up Ashley has chosen to employ.

So for me, all sides of the club are going down the toilet

who ?

why bother?

Is that tongue in cheek?

respect your opinion mate, but honestly in reality it doesn't work like this in football. Football only works on the "how well are you doing on the field" principle.

who ?

why bother?

Is that tongue in cheek?

respect your opinion mate, but honestly in reality it doesn't work like this in football. Football only works on the "how well are you doing on the field" principle.

like valencia ? like portsmouth ?

who ?

why bother?

Is that tongue in cheek?

nah, like Liverpool, Arsenal and ironically ourselves when we were also playing in the Champs League and qualifyign regularly for europe.

who ?

why bother?

Is that tongue in cheek?

nah, like Liverpool, Arsenal and ironically ourselves when we were also playing in the Champs League and qualifyign regularly for europe.

you've nailed it................"when we were".

but now we are not and can't pretend we have the same finances they have. if you think those two would be spending like they have if they spent three or more seasons outside the champs league you are deluded.

But you cant sell the players to reduce the operating costs, and then sell them again to cover the drop in income. With three of our most valuable assets already off the books wed have to sell half the squad to break even. Good you might say, but they have to be replaced with something, and something very cheap. Would replacing Collocini with Craig Short fill you with confidence?

Im not surprised. It confuses the hell out of me.

Theres three separate losses in the event of relegation.

The predicated operating loss if wed stayed up (£7m)

who ?

why bother?

This is what sets Ashey apart. The performance of the team isnt the driver for his business. Hes looking to make his money in other ways. Its a revolutionary approach to running a PL football club of NUFC's size.

Is that tongue in cheek?

Completely agree with the last sentance, I was merely pointing out what Ashleys plan hinges on and that is becoming more and more hoping that we get a Man U style crop of kids coming through, or at worst an Arsenal situation where we get one true gem (Fabregas) and a number of players who will 'do a job' in the first eleven.

If it comes off we're laughing, but its one hell of a risky plan, albeit maybe necessary in the current climate. I guess this summer will answer a few more questions, once Owen et al are off the payroll MAYBE we will sign the necessary number of (£8-£10million bracket) players to compete in the leage, and MAYBE we will get the right manager in. Also remember there is no summer tournament to inflate players prices, again its a MAYBE but maybe a number of deals fell through due to this last summer (Turan for example)

If we'd had any semblance of a half-decent youth set-up in the past all these recent incomings wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

They are purely trying to ensure that we have a chance of bringing in a few first teamers in the future.

You can come up with any spin you want on his motives, but every club as an absolute minimum should have a good youth set-up, and I think that something along those lines was said at the beginning of their tenure.

Guest fading star

I fail to see how we can spot young players of real promise that Europe’s elite clubs have missed. It’s not impossible but the chances are we’re picking up the dregs of the promising young player pool.

And getting a bunch of kids in is only half the story. Without a first class coaching team they’ll struggle to make the grade.

I fail to see how we can spot young players of real promise that Europe’s elite clubs have missed. It’s not impossible but the chances are we’re picking up the dregs of the promising young player pool.

And getting a bunch of kids in is only half the story. Without a first class coaching team they’ll struggle to make the grade.

surely that must go for more mature players aswell then.

i agree with your 2nd bit.

Guest fading star

Sort of, though it's a lot easier for supporters to know if were buying quality or dross.

It doesn’t change the glaring whole in Ashley's club saving youth policy. It’s not just Europe’s elite that are scouring the world for the best kids. All clubs have scouts, dressing the job up with a fancy title doesn’t make our system superior to anyone else’s.

Sort of, though it's a lot easier for supporters to know if were buying quality or dross.

It doesn’t change the glaring whole in Ashley's club saving youth policy. It’s not just Europe’s elite that are scouring the world for the best kids. All clubs have scouts, dressing the job up with a fancy title doesn’t make our system superior to anyone else’s.

i dont think that was his entire plan but certainly improving that side of things should've feateured highly no matter who was in charge as it had been a shambles for years.

I fail to see how we can spot young players of real promise that Europes elite clubs have missed. Its not impossible but the chances are were picking up the dregs of the promising young player pool.

And getting a bunch of kids in is only half the story. Without a first class coaching team theyll struggle to make the grade.

It doesnt change the glaring whole in Ashley's club saving youth policy. Its not just Europes elite that are scouring the world for the best kids. All clubs have scouts, dressing the job up with a fancy title doesnt make our system superior to anyone elses.

Most supporters thought we were getting a bargain with Duff.

Going further back most fans thought we were getting the real deal with Shaka, and Barton was going to be a great right back.

A lot of Villa fans were extatic with Milner.

Juan Veron anyone?

Shevchenko?

Counter that, a lot of fans thought Bobby was mental paying £6m for Bellamy

etc etc

There's no guarantees with young or old players, even Michael Owen has overall been a flop for us.

I do agree about the required standard of the coaches, the one area we have seriously overlooked

who ?

why bother?

Is that tongue in cheek?

but now we are not and can't pretend we have the same finances they have. if you think those two would be spending like they have if they spent three or more seasons outside the champs league you are deluded.

as i've said to you before. They have gone, are you happy with the replacements ?

Or do you accept in your haste to replace them, you made a serious error of judgement in appearing to think that anyone would be better ?

Would you have sacked Alan Shearer for missing that penalty against Partizan Belgrade, and missing the chance in the 1998 Cup final when Keown stepped on the ball, or not showing more leadership in the 1999 Cup Final after Keane went off and he never got a kick ? To replace him with "anybody", for instance, Shola Ameobi --- who lots of people on here insisted that he would fill the boots of Shearer  :lol:

This is your argument mate. You say they are accountable. They have been made accountable. So what exactly is your beef ?

To be fair, you are far from the only one who didn't understand the need to back managers, thinking it would be automatic, rather than a choice, like myself and one or two others pointed out. Hopefully, you all won't make the same mistake again.

What amazes me - even now - is the fact that you and others like you, were so naive, you actually thought I/we were trying to "wind you up". I hope now you can see that I was being deadly serious.

Do you have anything whatsoever to back up that claim?

You make some extraordinary claims about what 'people on here' have said but rarely seem able to back them up.

A link will do. If you can't provide one (which will be strange if 'lots of people' insisted it), I'll assume you made it up.

To a degree, but its not going to change who we sign anyway.  Fact is the "why bother because other clubs will have done better and we'll just get the dregs" thing is a defeatist argument and applys just as much to first teamers as it does youth players.

who ?

why bother?

i meant why bother continuing the same old shit

anyhow as someone else pointed out before the man hasn't made a profit has he - in fact he's a huge a loss, many of us know the reasons behind this and can acknowledge them but i won't go into that as it only enables you dude

who ?

why bother?

Is that tongue in cheek?

as i've said to you before. They have gone, are you happy with the replacements ?

Or do you accept in your haste to replace them, you made a serious error of judgement in appearing to think that anyone would be better ?

Would you have sacked Alan Shearer for missing that penalty against Partizan Belgrade, and missing the chance in the 1998 Cup final when Keown stepped on the ball, or not showing more leadership in the 1999 Cup Final after Keane went off and he never got a kick ? To replace him with "anybody", for instance, Shola Ameobi --- who lots of people on here insisted that he would fill the boots of Shearer  :lol:

This is your argument mate. You say they are accountable. They have been made accountable. So what exactly is your beef ?

To be fair, you are far from the only one who didn't understand the need to back managers, thinking it would be automatic, rather than a choice, like myself and one or two others pointed out. Hopefully, you all won't make the same mistake again.

What amazes me - even now - is the fact that you and others like you, were so naive, you actually thought I/we were trying to "wind you up". I hope now you can see that I was being deadly serious.

you know where i think we'd have been had the previous stayed and no, ashley hasn't worked out anywhere near like i'd wanted.

would i have sacked shearer for that one thing...of course not, if he turned in consistently poor performances over 3 years i'd look to get shot though.

whats my beef ? you know full well that it's that by the end of the shepherd era we were going backwards quickly both on and off the pitch. something you are blind to because of what they done previously.

i agree about the need to back managers but i also understandf you can't do it year on year,losing money,racking up debts,failing on the pitch as plenty other clubs are now finding out. (and didn't you say allardyce was brought in to run the place on next to nowt as at bolton).

and you are confusing me with someone else as i never said "anyone but fred". ask your brother at the time of polygon etc i was coming out with the careful what you wish for line but as time went on and things got worse and worse the straws i would grab at to get out of it got shorter and shorter.

in short i accept we are in the shit, but i also think we'd have been in as much if not more shit had fred stayed.