Ireland Internationals

Decky

Play-offs are a distinct possibility. If we get a result at home to Slovakia, I think we're in with a shout. Add a draw away to Russia and we could top the group...

• 2 months later...

Ryder's "Northern Ireland sources" re: Ferguson..

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/football/bright_future_lies_ahead_armstrong_1_2989896

GERRY Armstrong believes Northern Ireland can look forward to a brighter footballing future.

Yesterday Armstrong was confirmed as the Irish FA’s new ‘elite player mentor’, a role that will see him focus on young players who are in the early stages of their professional careers.

In an official statement issued from Windsor Avenue, it outlined how the former striker will work with emerging talent in the 16-21 age bracket who are starting out with clubs in England and Scotland.

Behind the official jargon hides the remit that will provide Armstrong with his sternest challenge – trying to stem the flow of Northern Ireland-affiliated players opting for the Republic.

The eligibility row continues to rage on, with the most recent high-profile case being Sunderland midfielder James McClean.

McClean was originally included in Nigel Worthington’s squad for the recent Euro 2012 qualifier with the Faroe Islands but later withdrew.

The former Derry City star subsequently admitted it had always been his dream to play for the Republic.

There have been numerous other examples – Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy and Marc Wilson to name just three – in recent years.

The IFA took their eligibility fight to the Court of Arbitration for Sport but lost their appeal, prompting them to act by turning to the influential Armstrong who they hope can convince players that they would be better served aiming for Windsor Park rather than the Aviva Stadium.

“It is an exciting challenge, and it is a big challenge as well – but it is something I am relishing,” Armstrong said.

“I intend giving it 125 per cent. We need to stop this flow of players opting for the Republic. We have to stop the FAI cherry-picking Northern Ireland talent. Thankfully the IFA continue to realise that and they have offered me this role.

“We have to get closer to players. Give them someone to talk to, because a lot of them are being put under pressure to make big choices.

“I have already spoken to James McClean and also young Shane Ferguson who there has been a lot of speculation about recently.

“James is between a rock and a hard place at the minute, but he knows I am here to talk to. He was very receptive to what we had to say but he has some big decisions to make.

“He has just moved to Sunderland so there is a lot going on for him.

“With regards Shane there isn’t a problem. A lot of people speculated that he was heading south, and the FAI wanted him. But Shane is very content and happy with how things are. He has never had any doubt over who he wants to play with, and both me and Steve Beaglehole (Under 21 boss) have spoken to the lad and everyone is happy.”

Great news all round, even if it is soured by news that Nigel Worthington is strongly rumoured to be getting a new contract regardless of how we finish in qualification.   :tickedoff:  :suicide:

• 2 weeks later...

Kilbanes consecutive competitive international starts ends at 66 games (4 short of the record), another way of saying it he hasn't missed a game in 11 years or so.

Long misses out too and he was due to start

Does that mean a place for Best?

if Longs injury rules him out of the Russia match he might get a call up, for tonight Doyle steps in place of Long

Best should be in the squad surely.

think Trap went with the squad more or less as he had it in the last set of games in June (where we did very well in competitive and friendly games) so Best missed out. Got a good level of depth in our striking options for once with Keane Doyle Long Best Walters and Cox as our current top 6 strikers

Steve Davis you absolute twat.

Halfway line, no pressure whatsoever and he decides to make a suicidal back pass to the keeper which got intercepted and they scored.

What a way to knock ourselves out of qualification.  Wish I never went.

oh this is just great, not only is St Ledger out of the game Tuesday (away to fucking russia no less) but now O'Sheas bloody out of it through injury.

And the dread prospect of Paul McShane playing edges that bit closer...............