Ireland Internationals

Decky

O'Neill even money favourite.  :frantic:

so was terry venables at one stage, thank christ that didn't come off.

Thank Christ for Dunphy publicly stating all of Venables dodgy dealings live on national tv and knocking him out of the running.

Extratime.ie News ‏@ExtratimeNews 2m

Dunphy: The Spanish manager (Vicente del Bosque) is on only 50,000 euro.

Vicente del Bosque is on 1.5 million euro.

#DunphyFacts

:lol: did you hear his excuse? "sorry Bill, it wasn't Del Bosque I was thinking of it was Bilic at Croatia"

Yeah because I'm always mixing them two up too you crazy alcoholic bullshitter!

I think it's time for a serious discussion about merging both sides into one team like the rugby and cricket. Leave the politics behind and look at it for sporting reasons. The population in both countries is small enough, especially in Northern Ireland, so why split the talent pool in two? Especially with some players in Northern Ireland joining the Republic side anyway. The rugby is a perfect example of how one talent pool works.

I think it's time for a serious discussion about merging both sides into one team like the rugby and cricket. Leave the politics behind and look at it for sporting reasons. The population in both countries is small enough, especially in Northern Ireland, so why split the talent pool in two? Especially with some players in Northern Ireland joining the Republic side anyway. The rugby is a perfect example of how one talent pool works.

Yeah reunite the Slav republics while we are on maybe let the best Scottish and welsh play for England too  :memelol:

:lol: If it's so outrageous then why has it worked in other sports? Is it just about the kind of people who follow football? More likely to cause trouble? I bet the idea of a UK team isn't as outrageous, it's just pure politics when you mention it happening in Ireland.

:lol: If it's so outrageous then why has it worked in other sports? Is it just about the kind of people who follow football? More likely to cause trouble? I bet the idea of a UK team isn't as outrageous, it's just pure politics when you mention it happening in Ireland.

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/gtfo/grand/gtfo-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2724.gif

If dual nationality was available both ways I doubt you'd be happy about a merge and playing under the name Northern Ireland.  The only reason people would want it is because it would essentially be one step forward towards trying to merge the 2 countries as a whole.

Even politics aside, it's just a daft idea.  People have grew up through generations supporting Northern Ireland.  We're shit, so what?  We were still officially the best fans in Europe and we will continue to support Our Wee Country.

It's like saying both Sunderland and Newcastle shit, so we might aswell merge teams.

If dual nationality was available both ways I doubt you'd be happy about a merge and playing under the name Northern Ireland.  The only reason people would want it is because it would essentially be one step forward towards trying to merge the 2 countries as a whole.

Even politics aside, it's just a daft idea.  People have grew up through generations supporting Northern Ireland.  We're shit, so what?  We were still officially the best fans in Europe and we will continue to support Our Wee Country.

It's like saying both Sunderland and Newcastle shit, so we might aswell merge teams.

:clap:

I bet the idea of a UK team isn't as outrageous

Of course it is.  It would just mean all the UK countries supporting the England team + Bale.  We would still be getting stripped of our identity and would no longer be taking part in International Football.

really think football is a different beast, Ryder cup,British Lions ,Davis cup etc yeah every few years but footballers will not want to lose there national identity

well................

not likely to happen simply because I can't ever see Fifa standing for it. Perhaps the two leagues should merge however.

agree with what you say but who voted N.I best fans in Europe  :facepalm:

FAI Press statement

September 11, 2013

Football Association of Ireland

The recent results against Sweden and Austria were very disappointing for everyone involved in Irish football, the manager, the players and supporters. Our aim of qualification, although mathematically possible, is now highly unlikely even though the team will always do everything within their power to keep that hope alive. The FAI Board of Management will now consider the current position over the coming days.

The post-match press conference which was due to take place this afternoon in Dublin has been cancelled

ENDS

probably end game for Trap then

UEFA.

It wouldn't be called Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland though, it would just be Ireland. There would obviously be a debate about where a move like this would stand on the political spectrum, but again, people are happy enough with other sports like rugby. I think it's just the mindset of the fans. Football fans are generally more aggressive than other sports. The biggest worry for merging the two would be violence amongst the fans, which is a real shame.

I also don't think it is anything like football clubs being close to each other and being shit. Clubs can buy new players and depending on the owner can generally decide their own fate through spending. Countries have to make do with their talent pools. If both federations merged club football might be more lucrative for clubs as well with the league being more competitive, clubs in Northern Ireland pulling bigger crowds through well supported clubs in big cities down south and vice versa. Having bigger, better, richer clubs here could improve the quality of young players coming through as well.

I think it's an interesting idea and it's not as outlandish as people make it out to be.

NORTHERN IRELAND FANS ARE OFFICIALLY THE BEST IN EUROPE

Release Date: 24/08/2006

Northern Ireland international football fans have been officially crowned the best football supporters in Europe after winning the prestigious, EU and UEFA endorsed, Brussels International Supporters Award 2006!

IFA Head of Community Relations, Michael Boyd, who nominated the Northern Ireland football Fans was delighted with the result: “I nominated one fan, called Jim Rainey, on behalf of the Amalgamation of Official Northern Ireland Supporters Clubs (AONISC),” explained Michael. 

“Jim represents all that is great about the AONISC and has been at the heart of their extraordinary charity efforts, promotion of good relations both at home and abroad; and he has been instrumental in the Northern Ireland Fan’s Football For All campaign that has brought so many families back to support Northern Ireland in an atmosphere free from sectarianism”.

Jonathon Hill from UEFA stated: “The work Jim Rainey and the Northern Ireland Fans carry out to tackle sectarianism embodies the spirit of the award. Their Football For All campaign is a shining example to all Supporters around the world of how fans can coordinate their efforts to create a more fun, passionate and inclusive atmosphere throughout football”.

A delighted Jim Rainey added: "It's a great honour for me to know that at last the Northern Ireland fans have been recognised by UEFA for the sterling work they do to make supporting Northern Ireland such an experience. We have used the spirit of football to extend the hand of friendship around the globe, whilst never missing the opportunity to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

“All of this would not have been possible without the support ofthe Amalgamation of Official NISCs, the Ourweecountry website/fans' forum andthe IFA's Football for All initiative.Together we have improved the atmosphere at Northern Ireland matches, at the same time helping charities at home and abroad to the tune of £82,000 over the last five years."

It has been long said that the Northern Ireland fans are the best in business – and now everyone knows it’s true!

The Northern Ireland supporters are loud and proud – no matter where they go they sing their hearts out and cheer the boys on from way before kick-off to long after the final whistle and it is something that Lawrie Sanchez and the team certainly appreciates.

“The support that the fans give the team at home and away matches is just tremendous and they truly deserve this award,” said Northern Ireland manager Lawrie Sanchez.

“I’ve always said that the Northern Ireland fans are the best around – and now it is official.  Well done!”

I bet the idea of a UK team isn't as outrageous

Of course it is.  It would just mean all the UK countries supporting the England team + Bale.  We would still be getting stripped of our identity and would no longer be taking part in International Football.

Obviously it's hypothetical, but let's say England were as shite as the rest of us, would it make more sense to merge then? England obviously have a much better infrastructure than the rest of the countries now, but over here both teams aren't a million miles away from each other.

NORTHERN IRELAND FANS ARE OFFICIALLY THE BEST IN EUROPE

Release Date: 24/08/2006

Northern Ireland international football fans have been officially crowned the best football supporters in Europe after winning the prestigious, EU and UEFA endorsed, Brussels International Supporters Award 2006!

IFA Head of Community Relations, Michael Boyd, who nominated the Northern Ireland football Fans was delighted with the result: “I nominated one fan, called Jim Rainey, on behalf of the Amalgamation of Official Northern Ireland Supporters Clubs (AONISC),” explained Michael. 

“Jim represents all that is great about the AONISC and has been at the heart of their extraordinary charity efforts, promotion of good relations both at home and abroad; and he has been instrumental in the Northern Ireland Fan’s Football For All campaign that has brought so many families back to support Northern Ireland in an atmosphere free from sectarianism”.

Jonathon Hill from UEFA stated: “The work Jim Rainey and the Northern Ireland Fans carry out to tackle sectarianism embodies the spirit of the award. Their Football For All campaign is a shining example to all Supporters around the world of how fans can coordinate their efforts to create a more fun, passionate and inclusive atmosphere throughout football”.

A delighted Jim Rainey added: "It's a great honour for me to know that at last the Northern Ireland fans have been recognised by UEFA for the sterling work they do to make supporting Northern Ireland such an experience. We have used the spirit of football to extend the hand of friendship around the globe, whilst never missing the opportunity to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

“All of this would not have been possible without the support ofthe Amalgamation of Official NISCs, the Ourweecountry website/fans' forum andthe IFA's Football for All initiative.Together we have improved the atmosphere at Northern Ireland matches, at the same time helping charities at home and abroad to the tune of £82,000 over the last five years."

It has been long said that the Northern Ireland fans are the best in business – and now everyone knows it’s true!

The Northern Ireland supporters are loud and proud – no matter where they go they sing their hearts out and cheer the boys on from way before kick-off to long after the final whistle and it is something that Lawrie Sanchez and the team certainly appreciates.

“The support that the fans give the team at home and away matches is just tremendous and they truly deserve this award,” said Northern Ireland manager Lawrie Sanchez.

“I’ve always said that the Northern Ireland fans are the best around – and now it is official.  Well done!”

2006 lawrie Sanchez  :la: