Wise Gone

Frazzle

Guest mohjo

£1.5m-a-year Wise still on payroll despite Newcastle departure

The Observer also understands Ashley's new structure will involve an attempt to keep Shearer long-term, despite his insistence that he will return to his BBC role in the summer. Ashley has offered Shearer a £4m-a-year contract and a £50m transfer budget to stay beyond the summer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/apr/05/newcastleunited

Must be fun being a journalist and make shit up all day. 

Considering that the club isn't safe from relegation and therefore have no guarantee of premier league money Ashley has somehow approved a transfer budget that rivals Man City.  What a load of shit.

• 3 months later...
Bobby didn’t blame Ashley ... his big disappointment was Wise!

IT was just a few weeks before his death I saw my old friend for the last time.

Five bouts of cancer and innumerable chemotherapy treatments had left him confined to his wheelchair.

His mind was as sharp as a pin but, he confided, his body was letting him down.

It was a hard thing for a sportsman to take, especially one of his stature - a man the entire world of football loved.

It was then I knew the long battle was nearing its conclusion.

My tear was quickly and discreetly wiped away because there was not a grain of self-pity in the man.

And after we had enjoyed a picnic lunch (along with a glass or two of red wine) with his ever-loyal wife Elsie, he gave me a tour of his beloved, renovated house in Durham - within striking distance of St James' Park and the Durham County Ground.

After his family, the foundation he set up in his name and devoted so much time to, cricket and football still dominated his life and his conversations - especially Newcastle United and how hurt he was at their demise under the present regime.

But then football has always dominated every conversation I have ever had with Bobby all over the globe.

And, I have to confess, I never got tired of listening to a man who truly loved the game with a great passion.

This was no high-powered interview with tape recorders and cameras. In fact there was not even a pencil and a notebook.

There were just quiet reminiscences as we sat in his beautiful lounge designed by Lady Elsie and then, in his wheelchair, a guided tour through a long corridor of signed photographs charting the life of one of the best-known names in the long history of the global game.

The passion was still as strong and powerful as ever.

But the smiles and glow as he talked about Durham and England cricket (he was a very good cricketer himself) turned into a scowl and a frown as we returned, inevitably, to the subject of Newcastle United.

He revealed he was not surprised, only deeply hurt, by the relegation of the club he had supported as a child - travelling from his village of Sacriston in Durham to the ground with his miner father Phillip - and eventually managed, realising another dream.

"I don't blame the chairman Mike Ashley," he confided somewhat surprisingly.

"He had the club at heart and wanted success as much as I did but his great mistakes were in those he gathered around him.

"My biggest disappointment was in Dennis Wise, a director of football who was hardly seen at the ground and who brought in players who were neither suitable nor right for Newcastle United.

"I forgive most people but I am not sure I can forgive Wise for what he did to my club."

This was a rare attack from a man who forgave all those people who aimed poisonous barbs in his direction - particularly when he was managing England for eight years, taking them to a World Cup quarter-final and a semi-final, the furthest any manager of the national side has gone away from our own shores.

There were a few he could have pointed a finger at. Colleagues of mine who allowed their editors to rule their hearts and penned poisonous pieces to aid a tabloid war rather than impart the truth.

Chairmen, particularly Freddy Shepherd who sacked him four games into a new season, and others who failed to keep their promises.

Even players he loved who whispered behind his back and let him down.

He laughed when I reminded him of his forgiving nature and said: "I guess I will be the same about Wise - eventually!"

I guess if he could forgive Shepherd for what he did to him, he could forgive anybody for anything - including Wise.

His passion about Newcastle United and England remained undimmed to the end.

The future, so blurred for him personally, was not a problem for Newcastle, as he said: "Look, they may have a problem for a season or two until they settle down, but with the wonderful, unflinching support and the fabulous ground they have, they will soon be back.

"They should, however, take warning of what has happened to Leeds United, who are still trying to scramble out of what I would call the third division.

"They have the same sort of huge, loyal support as Newcastle and they have learned to take nothing for granted.

"Newcastle should, as soon as possible, appoint Alan Shearer as manager.

"I know he wants the job and he is a local man who can rally the support and motivate the players, providing he has the right men around him to coach and bring the players along.

"They say that the Newcastle fans are too demanding.

"But all they want is a football team to play at the top level and produce the sort of attacking football they love to watch.

"Of course they would love to be European champions but they are realists.

"God knows they have had enough practice!"

Sir Bobby always advocated an English manager for the English team.

But he was pleasantly surprised at the progress made under Italian Fabio Capello, telling me: "What a decent man he seems to be.

"I like him and I like what he has done with the England team and the way he has gone about qualifying for the World Cup."

England, of course, remained his enduring love.

And despite the way the FA treated him, he was always first in the queue to offer his services - no matter how temporarily - when they found themselves in a scrape after his departure.

He always called it the "best job in the world".

The FA can, at last, return his loyalty by giving him the sort of send off he so richly deserves at a memorial service, probably in Durham, in the early autumn.

It will have to be by invitation only because if they opened it up to all those who love this man, Wembley Stadium would not be big enough.

Little cunt should rot in hell

For doing his job badly?

Naa. Not his fault, Ashley appointed him, the blame lies firmly at his feet for bringing in the wrong man, then the blame filters down on to Wise for the job he done. It's like blaming Xisco for his signing, that was Wise's fault and part to do with how he did his job badly, but again, Wise didn't appoint himself. Nice to hear Bobby's (or through another person where what was said could easily be bullshit) take on it, but i don't agree with it at all.

Bobby didn’t blame Ashley ... his big disappointment was Wise!

Five bouts of cancer and innumerable chemotherapy treatments had left him confined to his wheelchair.

It was a hard thing for a sportsman to take, especially one of his stature - a man the entire world of football loved.

My tear was quickly and discreetly wiped away because there was not a grain of self-pity in the man.

And after we had enjoyed a picnic lunch (along with a glass or two of red wine) with his ever-loyal wife Elsie, he gave me a tour of his beloved, renovated house in Durham - within striking distance of St James' Park and the Durham County Ground.

After his family, the foundation he set up in his name and devoted so much time to, cricket and football still dominated his life and his conversations - especially Newcastle United and how hurt he was at their demise under the present regime.

But then football has always dominated every conversation I have ever had with Bobby all over the globe.

And, I have to confess, I never got tired of listening to a man who truly loved the game with a great passion.

This was no high-powered interview with tape recorders and cameras. In fact there was not even a pencil and a notebook.

There were just quiet reminiscences as we sat in his beautiful lounge designed by Lady Elsie and then, in his wheelchair, a guided tour through a long corridor of signed photographs charting the life of one of the best-known names in the long history of the global game.

But the smiles and glow as he talked about Durham and England cricket (he was a very good cricketer himself) turned into a scowl and a frown as we returned, inevitably, to the subject of Newcastle United.

He revealed he was not surprised, only deeply hurt, by the relegation of the club he had supported as a child - travelling from his village of Sacriston in Durham to the ground with his miner father Phillip - and eventually managed, realising another dream.

"He had the club at heart and wanted success as much as I did but his great mistakes were in those he gathered around him.

"My biggest disappointment was in Dennis Wise, a director of football who was hardly seen at the ground and who brought in players who were neither suitable nor right for Newcastle United.

"I forgive most people but I am not sure I can forgive Wise for what he did to my club."

This was a rare attack from a man who forgave all those people who aimed poisonous barbs in his direction - particularly when he was managing England for eight years, taking them to a World Cup quarter-final and a semi-final, the furthest any manager of the national side has gone away from our own shores.

There were a few he could have pointed a finger at. Colleagues of mine who allowed their editors to rule their hearts and penned poisonous pieces to aid a tabloid war rather than impart the truth.

Chairmen, particularly Freddy Shepherd who sacked him four games into a new season, and others who failed to keep their promises.

He laughed when I reminded him of his forgiving nature and said: "I guess I will be the same about Wise - eventually!"

I guess if he could forgive Shepherd for what he did to him, he could forgive anybody for anything - including Wise.

The future, so blurred for him personally, was not a problem for Newcastle, as he said: "Look, they may have a problem for a season or two until they settle down, but with the wonderful, unflinching support and the fabulous ground they have, they will soon be back.

"They should, however, take warning of what has happened to Leeds United, who are still trying to scramble out of what I would call the third division.

"They have the same sort of huge, loyal support as Newcastle and they have learned to take nothing for granted.

"I know he wants the job and he is a local man who can rally the support and motivate the players, providing he has the right men around him to coach and bring the players along.

"But all they want is a football team to play at the top level and produce the sort of attacking football they love to watch.

But he was pleasantly surprised at the progress made under Italian Fabio Capello, telling me: "What a decent man he seems to be.

"I like him and I like what he has done with the England team and the way he has gone about qualifying for the World Cup."

And despite the way the FA treated him, he was always first in the queue to offer his services - no matter how temporarily - when they found themselves in a scrape after his departure.

The FA can, at last, return his loyalty by giving him the sort of send off he so richly deserves at a memorial service, probably in Durham, in the early autumn.

It will have to be by invitation only because if they opened it up to all those who love this man, Wembley Stadium would not be big enough.

Source?

Bobby didnt blame Ashley ... his big disappointment was Wise!

Source?

This looks like it..........................

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2569579.ece