Great Players Don't Necessarily Make Good Managers

Crumpy Gunt

Souness is probably one of the best players I've ever seen play, so I agree with the point.

However, I think Shearer was the main reason Roeder looked so good in his first season.

Well, i have come to this thinking.  There was a clip of Shearer stood in the dug out with Glen Roeder, must have been after his injury at the SOL when we beat them 1-4.  We must have scored a goal Shearer was celebrating and Roeder held his hand up "in fuck yeah" sort of way and Shearer grabbed it.  I got the feeling it was Shearer who was the boss and Roeder was his assistant.  Just picked it up from the body language of the pair.

I could be wrong.

Guest Phil K

A fact proved many times in the past. I'm sure there'll be a short term 'boost' but longer term I worry as Shearer seemed to admire Souness' style above Robson, Gullit etc.

Absolutely correct.

But each person should be judged on what they do, not what others have done.

Your comment is a prejudgement just like those assuming he'll do great.

You'll get some great ex-players that are shocking managers, but then you'll get some great ex-players who are top class managers. Simple as really....

You cant say EVERY good player will be a shit manager- it doesnt work like that. You'll get a mixture.

But then again, some managers who weren't players, or who were shit players, can make for crap managers.

On the whole i'm against managers cuting their teeth in the Premier league. I'd much rather they gained lower league experience first but, putting all bias aside, Shearer is one man I feel confident can do a job at the highest level straight away.

He'll know what we need on the playing side to get us to score goals. He scored goals with his feet and head so he appreciates the need for someone who can pick a pass from the centre and players who can deliver well from the flanks and dead ball situations. He can also give our defenders advice on how to neutralise the threat of strikers.

Time will tell but at the moment i'm very pleased with the appointment.

The one thing about Shearer is his character. The man's aura precedes him, and he has a gigantic presence. He's just one of those people who were always destined for greatness. This alone might be the deciding factor that could make him a superb manager (we hope).

As has been said, when these big ex-players manage their "own" teams, it seems to turn into something special. See: Klinsmann and/or Guardiola

I always imagined he'd be a Dalglish type manager.

We will shapre get a fair idea of what he is about, obviously we have to take into account he only has 8 games.  A true guess would be after a full season.

The one thing about Shearer is his character. The man's aura precedes him, and he has a gigantic presence. He's just one of those people who were always destined for greatness. This alone might be the deciding factor that could make him a superb manager (we hope).

As has been said, when these big ex-players manage their "own" teams, it seems to turn into something special. See: Klinsmann and/or Guardiola

See Hoddle & Spurs and/or Souness & Liverpool for the flip side of that coin.

Not saying that I'm not happy with Shearer being here for the rest of the season, but the fact that he's a Toon legend doesn't guarantee he'll turn us round.

See Hoddle & Spurs and/or Souness & Liverpool for the flip side of that coin.

Not saying that I'm not happy with Shearer being here for the rest of the season, but the fact that he's a Toon legend doesn't guarantee he'll turn us round.

Neither would getting Ferguson,Wenger or Mourinho.

Shearer should know from first hand experience that ruling with an iron fist alone doesn't work.

'Should' being the operative word. Whether he does is another matter. That said, I was somewhat surprised and very pleased to hear what he said today about players needing to hear how good they are etc. Seems like he does have a clue after all that players sometimes need confidence and happiness instilled in them by someone else, which the likes of Souness often didn't seem to realise. Bodes well.

I'm just pleased we'll be able to judge him on what he does rather than other people's opinions what he might do finally.

True, just getting the Shearer era started is a big weight off our shoulders.

Yes... so long as he stays beyond the 8 games, of course. The alternative could make things even more unbearable. I'm also concerned that if he does turn out to be a bit of a disaster (see Souness), that the media will go nuclear in accusing us supporters of being fickle etc. Anyway, no point in talking about this kind of thing, just now I suppose.

He's taken one training session and people are saying there's no gurantee he'll do well.  :doh:

You think there is?

He spoke well, today - left me feeling more optimistic. Also pleased to see more sense in this thread than I expected to. Let's all hope this turns out as well as we want it to. Good luck to him - we need it.

There are definitely evidences pointing to both sides of the coin. In the end, it is really a moot point.

Whatever it is, it is a positive move and we should have faith, believe in it, embrace it, be open-minded and positive about it. All these may go a long way in helping the team walk a longer, a tough path ahead.

So people, embrace it : )