Liverpool 3 - 0 Newcastle United - 03/05/09 - post match reaction from page 17

Dave

In the positive, we have our most winnable game all season coming up next week & if we win it we might actually stay up still.

Im amazed that we've only conceded 3 today. We've had a lotttttttt of luck these past games, everyone one of them could have been far worse.

Well a least one good thing. We wont be dominated and bum-raped like this in the Championship.

Although i know you will say we will though.

The thought of games against Doncaster and Barnsley................ugh.

Would you rather look forward to an inevitable Hammering by Man u , Liverpool etc.

For the past few games, we don't really look like scoring or winning, don't we?

I wonder how are we going to score in the next two games, let alone win .......

This is saddening...

It all went downhill after Keegan left / was removed, wasn't it? Sigh.

Guest ovesbar

3 more points and we are safe.  Hull and the Smogs will not get any more points, I HOPE

Spot on. I we can beat boro we'll be safe.

Hull WILL take more points.. Villa have not won a game since early february.

Well a least one good thing. We wont be dominated and bum-raped like this in the Championship.

Although i know you will say we will though.

The thought of games against Doncaster and Barnsley................ugh.

Would you rather look forward to an inevitable Hammering by Man u , Liverpool etc.

Yes! Though I would hope we won't be as bad next season as this  IF we stay up.

Shearer just said "Yes" when asked whether it was a red card.

He also said that he feels let down by Barton and that Barton has apologized.

Good that he doesn't make excuses.

3 more points and we are safe.  Hull and the Smogs will not get any more points, I HOPE

Optimistic. I don't know how we get those 3 points mind.

Because the smoggies don't get any more points, the clue's in the clue......

Middlesbrough have taken points at St. James' Park every season since 2004.

I know I am going to get flamed to death for this, but I am starting to think that being relegated may not be the worst thing (in the grand scheme of things) to happen to this club.

We have a squad of total s**** that are way to old and don't give a flying-f*** about our club.  We need an opportunity to completely clear out the ranks and bring in a new squad of up-and-comers.  Releasing our high priced current squad will mean we can get in new players that are cheaper, which means we can have more squad depth, and we can bring in players that are willing to bust a gut to play in the PL.

We need a complete top-to-bottom clean-out of the club and that just can't happen in the PL.

We need a clearout regardless... it will be much easier to attract good players if we're still in the Premiership and have the finances that come with it.

This "drop down a division to get the s*** out" argument is nonsense because we'll only be able to attract s*** to replace them!

Sure.... it would be much easier to achieve a full team clear-out if we stayed in the PL... but this relies on one thing... having the financial clout to buy the players (ala Chelsea).  Now... in light of the fact that we don't have that clout there is no way we can buy our way out of this problem, which means the best we could hope for is the standard 3 players out, 2 players in we have done for the last few transfer windows.  Since this hasn't been working all that well so far I was thinking maybe it was time to try something else.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.....  This is Insane!

Eh?

Why do yo assume that we wwould need Chelsea style spending to build a new team/clear out.

SBR done it over a few seasons for us.

SBR was starting with a much better squad than Shearer has right now.  SBR had to replace a handful of players, not the whole god-damned squad (minus 2 or 3).

Replacing 2 or 3 while enlarging the squad we have now, in addition to giving the team a game plan, and we'll finish mid-table next season.

I don't think replacing 2 or 3 would keep us out of the relegation battle next season...

We need new defenders for just about all of the back-line positions.  Even if the current player has been OK during the year we have no depth, it only takes a couple of injuries in our backline at the moment and we don't have enough depth to fill the holes (we have to bring in mid-fielders to plug the holes, like Duff).

We need new midfielders for just about all of the midfield positions.  Jonas is OK, Butt can sometimes put in a good game, but the rest of the midfield are slow as fuck, can pass to save themselves and have almost no ability to create anything.  Again, we are also prone to injury issues here.  As soon as we get 1 or 2 injuries in the midfield we have no depth to the squad.  So again we are lacking quality and depth.

Our forwards are all either crocked or too damned old and past it.  The only possible exception to this is Carroll, but he's no genius.  Its just that Carroll is prepared to work hard that has him doing well.

So basically, I don't believe bringing in 2 or 3 players will solve anything.... of course your theory also relies on us planning on spending some money, rather than making a profit during the transfer season.

Realistically we just need a new midfield.

We have butt, Smith & geremi representing us there.

Guthrie still has loads to learn & is currently learning off these clowns.

And Barton the only lad with some ability would probably be a better kickboxer.

Bar Guthrie, we replace them the team improves. Its simple. We've been saying it for years...new midfielder. We now have 7 strikers instead, with duff playing up there to & ranger coming through. It couldnt be more moronic.

Didnt see the game today yet, but i still wouldnt blame Martins for missing even after his crap season. When you're under pressure as we are & your strikers dont get many chances, theyre going to miss when they do. Its no suprises really.

I don't think replacing 2 or 3 would keep us out of the relegation battle next season...

We need new defenders for just about all of the back-line positions.  Even if the current player has been OK during the year we have no depth, it only takes a couple of injuries in our backline at the moment and we don't have enough depth to fill the holes (we have to bring in mid-fielders to plug the holes, like Duff).

We need new midfielders for just about all of the midfield positions.  Jonas is OK, Butt can sometimes put in a good game, but the rest of the midfield are slow as f***, can pass to save themselves and have almost no ability to create anything.  Again, we are also prone to injury issues here.  As soon as we get 1 or 2 injuries in the midfield we have no depth to the squad.  So again we are lacking quality and depth.

Our forwards are all either crocked or too damned old and past it.  The only possible exception to this is Carroll, but he's no genius.  Its just that Carroll is prepared to work hard that has him doing well.

So basically, I don't believe bringing in 2 or 3 players will solve anything.... of course your theory also relies on us planning on spending some money, rather than making a profit during the transfer season.

With Shearer leaving as stated in two more games and with Kinnear returning? Gosh!

Guest LucaAltieri

I know I am going to get flamed to death for this, but I am starting to think that being relegated may not be the worst thing (in the grand scheme of things) to happen to this club.

We have a squad of total s**** that are way to old and don't give a flying-f*** about our club.  We need an opportunity to completely clear out the ranks and bring in a new squad of up-and-comers.  Releasing our high priced current squad will mean we can get in new players that are cheaper, which means we can have more squad depth, and we can bring in players that are willing to bust a gut to play in the PL.

We need a complete top-to-bottom clean-out of the club and that just can't happen in the PL.

We need a clearout regardless... it will be much easier to attract good players if we're still in the Premiership and have the finances that come with it.

This "drop down a division to get the s*** out" argument is nonsense because we'll only be able to attract s*** to replace them!

Sure.... it would be much easier to achieve a full team clear-out if we stayed in the PL... but this relies on one thing... having the financial clout to buy the players (ala Chelsea).  Now... in light of the fact that we don't have that clout there is no way we can buy our way out of this problem, which means the best we could hope for is the standard 3 players out, 2 players in we have done for the last few transfer windows.  Since this hasn't been working all that well so far I was thinking maybe it was time to try something else.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.....  This is Insane!

Eh?

Why do yo assume that we wwould need Chelsea style spending to build a new team/clear out.

SBR done it over a few seasons for us.

SBR was starting with a much better squad than Shearer has right now.  SBR had to replace a handful of players, not the whole god-damned squad (minus 2 or 3).

Replacing 2 or 3 while enlarging the squad we have now, in addition to giving the team a game plan, and we'll finish mid-table next season.

We need new midfielders for just about all of the midfield positions.  Jonas is OK, Butt can sometimes put in a good game, but the rest of the midfield are slow as fuck, can pass to save themselves and have almost no ability to create anything.  Again, we are also prone to injury issues here.  As soon as we get 1 or 2 injuries in the midfield we have no depth to the squad.  So again we are lacking quality and depth.

We need a quality CM and RW. Then cover for LB and RB. Then bring in some kids to give them a go where ever possible.

The key is to bring in players that we can build a team around. Our problem is we have no particular style of play. Get that sorted and we're a safe mid table team next season.

Needed

Play maker in CM

High energy midfield breaker.  DM

RW

LB and RB.

OH and strikers to replace OWen and Martins..............................and Viduka.

Guest neesy111

Needed

Play maker in CM

RW

LB and RB.

OH and strikers to replace OWen and Martins..............................and Viduka.

nah m8 we need a whole new team

Needed

Play maker in CM

RW

LB and RB.

Wont happen if we stay in the prem, it will take a couple of years, especially if we have pennies to spend under AShley.

The whole new team for next season will come about if we are relegated as I would imagine a lot of players will leave to play in the prem or other countires.

Relegation can never be a positive though as people have said so many times, regardless of whether we put together a new team.

Newcastle will be a worse team as a result of playing a lower standard of team each week.

Even if our best players stay...which a lot wont...you dont want them getting used to that.

Then when we go up, we'll be able to buy/replace very little as people will see us a side that could go back down easily again.

Our Owner clearly doesnt have the money to bring in real quality.

Our reputation will go down hill.

None of its good.

We go down, it'll be far more likely we'll be fighting relegation everyseason from then on IF we made it back up. Far more than now with this current side even.

Guest LucaAltieri

Needed

Play maker in CM

RW

LB and RB.

Wont happen if we stay in the prem, it will take a couple of years, especially if we have pennies to spend under AShley.

The whole new team for next season will come about if we are relegated as I would imagine a lot of players will leave to play in the prem or other countires.

...and they'll leave for next to nowt because we couldn't afford to keep them anyway... less money coming in so we'll be relying entirely on Ashley putting up the cash for building this new squad.

Doesn't fill me with optimism to be perfectly honest.

I actually don't remember an attack or a goal on either side that involved a possible offside that was awarded correctly in the entire game.

Absolutely appauling refereeing.

Harper, Beye, Bassong, Enrique and Jonas are players you could build a decent first team with.

Martins I'd rather we just got rid of. He'll always be an enigma, you're just hoping he'll produce one of his moments of quality to make up for his panicked efforts in general play. We'd miss his pace I suppose, but we could offset that problem by buying someone else with pace.

Everyone else can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.

We need a miracle, starting with Everton and Villa doing us favours today and tomorrow.

I have an awful feeling Hull could nick something from Villa. If they win against Stoke next week, it's all but over IMO.

Needed

Play maker in CM

RW

LB and RB.

...and they'll leave for next to nowt because we couldn't afford to keep them anyway... less money coming in so we'll be relying entirely on Ashley putting up the cash for building this new squad.

Doesn't fill me with optimism to be perfectly honest.

Indeed.

Needed

Play maker in CM

RW

LB and RB.

So that's...  1 (CM).... 2(DM).... 3(RW).... 4 & 5(LB & RB).... 6, 7, & 8 (Strikers too replace Owen, Martins, and Viduka).

So, if we take your 8 players and add the 2 or 3 I said we keep and guess what... you get a whole team (8+3=11).

But... you haven't said anything about improving the depth, so add some decent squad players (as opposed to the complete dross we have now) and you get a whole squad, less 2 or 3 players, that needs replacing.

Glad you agree with the need to replace the squad... now how do we afford to do this in the PL given if we're in a relegation fight no-one of PL quality will come to us?