Who do you blame for the mess ?

Guest Phil K

Ashley; it all stems from his original business plan, appointments and decision making. His tenure has been a complete car crash. Forget FS and all other errors they pale into almost insignificance to what has followed. Ashley almost ripped the heart out of this club.

As for the thread, I mean where do you start? I think there's loads of things to blame (owner, chairman, previous chairman, previous previous chairman, previous owner, previous managers, Dennis Wise, current manager, previous players, current players, supporters, coaching staf...) the list is endless.

The real tricky bit is apportioning the blame. The players, as you say, need to take their fair share though - certainly one of the larger chunks. The main blame has to rest with Ashley and Co., though, undoubtedly. I've never believed they inherited a good ship but it has taken gross incompetence to steer us this far off course even from that starting point.

For the overall mess, that's spot on, but if we end up getting relegated I can't look past the players.

Well the players don't end up here by magic. They are usually bought by managers appointed by a board which is directly answerable to the owner. Ashley inherited a mess from Shepherd in this regard and he's gone on to make it worse due to being clueless for the most part. Not to mention a tight bastard.

I'll probably get shot down for some of this but ...

I blame a lot of the this situation on the protestors around the time of the Keegan leaving/sacking/walking/parting period and the 2-3 months that followed - they eventually 'won' with Wise leaving but other than that what did they achieve? No-one was happy with the decisions made at this time and few had faith in the hierarchy but I wonder how many of those will be around come mid August IF we go down. I'd agree people we're pissed off but we didn't and still don't know the reasons behind KK leaving. All they did was stop any movement to fill the managers spot with a long term manager.

Instead, they got what they thought they wanted with the club being put up for sale. Months later, we had a owner who had given in, no manager, no direction, no drive and no forward thinking - at this stage Ashley was gone so how is this his fault? The players still knew they had a job to do on the field and despite the lack of coaching a majority of them are international stars. Put 11 of us on the pitch and I'm sure we could organise ourselves!

Ashley decided to at least head the ship again and chose Kinnear as the man to lead the team short term as he tried to either sell or get a bigger man in. At this stage the club was at a total mess and no right minded potential owner, manager, coach, player etc would ever come close. The transfer window came and went and although we didn't buy any world beaters, we bought a couple of flexible players that could patch up our battered squad. Again there is some blame here but the club was a sorry state. Kinnear was kept on and although he got the squad together to play something resembling a team, he was unable to turn draws into wins. A lack of coaching ability or poor players, who knows? More bad luck and a slow reaction from Ashley at the beginning of Kinnear's absence meant we again found ourselves 'lost'. By now the damage had been done and anything achieved was simply damage limitation.

Now I'm not solely blaming the protestors as I also feel Ashley could have done better in the 2/3s of the season he has been in charge, but things could have been a lot better had some people swallowed their pride and stuck with the club. We simply turned up for the games in this time and waited for another person to come in - the middle of the season WAS NOT the time to do this!!!! Had we waited until now for this, I honestly feel that we would be mid table and a much brighter proposition to potential buyers, investors, owners, players, managers or whatever.

We're now nearing the end of the 'season that was' and despite where we end up at the beginning of next season, I for one can't fucking wait for next season to begin! I'm just happy that the club I support and live is actually still existant because, if strong rumors are believed to be true, it almost wasn't. We've faced it all this year, keep the faith

I blame a lot of the this situation on the protestors around the time of the Keegan leaving/sacking/walking/parting period and the 2-3 months that followed - they eventually 'won' with Wise leaving but other than that what did they achieve? No-one was happy with the decisions made at this time and few had faith in the hierarchy but I wonder how many of those will be around come mid August IF we go down. I'd agree people we're pissed off but we didn't and still don't know the reasons behind KK leaving. All they did was stop any movement to fill the managers spot with a long term manager.

Instead, they got what they thought they wanted with the club being put up for sale. Months later, we had a owner who had given in, no manager, no direction, no drive and no forward thinking - at this stage Ashley was gone so how is this his fault? The players still knew they had a job to do on the field and despite the lack of coaching a majority of them are international stars. Put 11 of us on the pitch and I'm sure we could organise ourselves!

Ashley decided to at least head the ship again and chose Kinnear as the man to lead the team short term as he tried to either sell or get a bigger man in. At this stage the club was at a total mess and no right minded potential owner, manager, coach, player etc would ever come close. The transfer window came and went and although we didn't buy any world beaters, we bought a couple of flexible players that could patch up our battered squad. Again there is some blame here but the club was a sorry state. Kinnear was kept on and although he got the squad together to play something resembling a team, he was unable to turn draws into wins. A lack of coaching ability or poor players, who knows? More bad luck and a slow reaction from Ashley at the beginning of Kinnear's absence meant we again found ourselves 'lost'. By now the damage had been done and anything achieved was simply damage limitation.

Now I'm not solely blaming the protestors as I also feel Ashley could have done better in the 2/3s of the season he has been in charge, but things could have been a lot better had some people swallowed their pride and stuck with the club. We simply turned up for the games in this time and waited for another person to come in - the middle of the season WAS NOT the time to do this!!!! Had we waited until now for this, I honestly feel that we would be mid table and a much brighter proposition to potential buyers, investors, owners, players, managers or whatever.

We're now nearing the end of the 'season that was' and despite where we end up at the beginning of next season, I for one can't f***ing wait for next season to begin! I'm just happy that the club I support and live is actually still existant because, if strong rumors are believed to be true, it almost wasn't. We've faced it all this year, keep the faith

I didn't bother reading past the 2nd line of this utter garbage.

We're now nearing the end of the 'season that was' and despite where we end up at the beginning of next season, I for one can't f***ing wait for next season to begin! I'm just happy that the club I support and live is actually still existant because, if strong rumors are believed to be true, it almost wasn't. We've faced it all this year, keep the faith

:thup:

We're now nearing the end of the 'season that was' and despite where we end up at the beginning of next season, I for one can't fucking wait for next season to begin! I'm just happy that the club I support and live is actually still existant because, if strong rumors are believed to be true, it almost wasn't. We've faced it all this year, keep the faith

Ashley's "make do and mend" policy is in danger of backfiring completely and the value of his club is plummeting as a result. It wasn't the fans who stopped him buying decent players in the last few transfer windows.

Can you elaborate on the part about people needing to swallow their pride and stick with the club, then saying all we done is simply turned up for games? It's quite hard as well to support the people who you feel have completely ripped the heart out of your own club.

Have a word - you can't believe this? Ashley was the cause and messed up the chance to be the remedy. KK could have come back & Ashley bollocked the meeting up. Perhaps you will simply say allegedly.

Have a word - you can't believe this? Ashley was the cause and messed up the chance to be the remedy. KK could have come back & Ashley bollocked the meeting up. Perhaps you will simply say allegedly.

Were you there?

Were you there?

Didn't have to be.

Ashley's "make do and mend" policy is in danger of backfiring completely and the value of his club is plummeting as a result. It wasn't the fans who stopped him buying decent players in the last few transfer windows.

I agree with you regarding the lack of players brought in but why fork out millions in fees and wages if the manager is not going to be there a month down the line. We've fallen in this trap for seasons hence our squad of over rated, over paid and over aged mismatches of previous manager regimes. Despite being a little thin, I would rather have our squad over the likes of Wigan's, West Ham's and Fulham's.

Another arguement is what do we offer players? We know that we are cutting back the wage bill and therefore we can't waver the cash about like the big boys. In January for example, we had a temp manager, a owner that was 'leaving', fans on the war path, a long injury list, huge amount of pressure to perform etc etc. Would you have signed up?

Were you there?

Didn't have to be.

You know for certain what happened without being there?

Can you elaborate on the part about people needing to swallow their pride and stick with the club, then saying all we done is simply turned up for games? It's quite hard as well to support the people who you feel have completely ripped the heart out of your own club.

As far as I see it, the club is made up of the fans and the players. The players need the fans for support, and the fans need the players so theres a club to support. A lot of people made those 2-3 months very unpleasant and focused on protesting rather than getting behind the lads.

I'd appreciate that people weren't happy, I wasn't smiling from ear to ear, but there was a time and a place to do these things. As soon as we were in the ground, it should have been support til the moment we left. If people were more focused on removing Ashley than the team, why attend the games? The players needed reassurance but instead got muted stadiums full of anger, aggression and criticism.

Despite being a little thin, I would rather have our squad over the likes of Wigan's, West Ham's and Fulham's.

:idiot2:

And that's not just being fashionably self-deprecating about our own club and its players: we genuinely have a poorer squad in terms of quality and physical ability to compete in a football match than all 3 of those teams.  Horrible to say it, but there it is.

I agree with you regarding the lack of players brought in but why fork out millions in fees and wages if the manager is not going to be there a month down the line. We've fallen in this trap for seasons hence our squad of over rated, over paid and over aged mismatches of previous manager regimes. Despite being a little thin, I would rather have our squad over the likes of Wigan's, West Ham's and Fulham's.

Another arguement is what do we offer players? We know that we are cutting back the wage bill and therefore we can't waver the cash about like the big boys. In January for example, we had a temp manager, a owner that was 'leaving', fans on the war path, a long injury list, huge amount of pressure to perform etc etc. Would you have signed up?

Who appointed a temp manager and offered him a contract extension despite the fact his dodgy heart wasn't up to it? Who sat back and dithered while Hughton fumbled in a position he should never have been in? Who encouraged Joe Kinnear to talk publicly about signing Veloso and M'bia and ended up signing Kevin Nolan and Ryan Taylor? Is that Keegan's fault?

2-3 months protesting? ???

When were the following?

The FA Cup game that Barratt got locked up at.

The protest by NUSC at the Monument.

A lot of people made those 2-3 months very unpleasant and focused on protesting rather than getting behind the lads.

One was an isolated incident and the other you loved to point out was meaningless.

When were the following?

A lot of people made those 2-3 months very unpleasant and focused on protesting rather than getting behind the lads.

One was an isolated incident and the other you loved to point out was meaningless.

I'm asking when they were in response to you querying the 2-3 months. :thup:

Are you saying you don't count an organised protest by a supporters group as a protest? :lol:

When were the following?

The Hull game in January when the banner came out at half-time and full-time and not during the game.

Players probably knew nothing of a rally at the Monument.

Can't see how these affected performances and little was reported of them.

When were the following?

I'm asking when they were. :thup:

Are you saying you don't count an organised protest by a supporters group as a protest? :lol:

Did those protesting not get behind the players then? I was under the impression the NUSC thing took place before the match.

I've not looked up the dates btw, because I don't believe either of them are examples of a lot of people focussing on protesting rather than supporting the team.

When were the following?

The Hull game in January when the banner came out at half-time and full-time and not during the game.

Players probably knew nothing of a rally at the Monument.

Can't see how these affected performances and little was reported of them.

It made the national news like. :lol:

When were the following?

I'm asking when they were in response to you querying the 2-3 months. :thup:

Nice legal manouevering there. Pointless in the context of the thread but well done.

If Ashley had shown a bit of backbone and some leadership after Keegan left, the protests would probably have been quelled quite quickly.  The silence that followed then that stupid fact statement just inflamed things.