Fabricio Coloccini

steve_69
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

With the history of s**** CBs we had, it's no surprise that some people thought Colo was another one. I did, happy to admit I was totally wrong.

Poor old James Perch is the latest player not to be given a chance.

If you look at the first few pages of this thread, and then the more recent posts, I think it's a testament to how much he has improved and what an established and comfortable Premier League defender he has become.

His threat from set pieces has increased ten-fold too. The header against Wigan and the shot against Blackburn is something I expect to see from talented centre forwards.

Aye, opposition players are going to be given a game-plan to man-mark him now, which is going to draw one or two of their players towards the edge of the area and away from the 6-yard box, giving the likes of Williamson, Taylor, Carroll Best and Shola more of a run on the cross. Expect to see this happen more on inswinging corners, where Barton can exploit the 'corridor of uncertainty'.

FWIW, Colo started off pretty well in his first season. He was unbelievable against Chelsea at the Bridge around November time. When the club really went to shit he dropped off. I'd probably put it partly down to Saylor positioning as well, an accomplished CB can't imagine he'll join a club and play alongside that like.

When you fork out the money and wages that we did, you expect an instant return. That money could have easily gone on an established PL defender.

who could we have got for 10m like?

For a start, we could have banked the £10m and held onto Faye. Ben Haim went to Man City, Davies to Aston Villa, Ferdinand to Sunderland - all for less than £10m and all were adequate PL defenders at the time. It proves there were some available.

With the history of s**** CBs we had, it's no surprise that some people thought Colo was another one. I did, happy to admit I was totally wrong.

Poor old James Perch is the latest player not to be given a chance.

I've seen Perch play well for about 5 minutes of his time here at NUFC so far. He's shown the potential to be an athletic utility player. Not even in the same league as Colo (their situations are not even comparable)

When you fork out the money and wages that we did, you expect an instant return. That money could have easily gone on an established PL defender.

For a start, we could have banked the £10m and held onto Faye. Ben Haim went to Man City, Davies to Aston Villa, Ferdinand to Sunderland - all for less than £10m and all were adequate PL defenders at the time. It proves there were some available.

Just as well the club had more sense than to buy any of those, and got Colo instead.

Davies was my first thought aye, we dodged a bullet tbh (same with Ferd).

Ben Haim is a good shout but he went to ratshit ever since that move so who knows.

See what you're saying though, not sure any of them would have been a massive upgrade on Colo during the relegation season.  Frankly we were just going down that year, Mike Ashley ensured that tbh.

If you look at the first few pages of this thread, and then the more recent posts, I think it's a testament to how much he has improved and what an established and comfortable Premier League defender he has become.

His threat from set pieces has increased ten-fold too. The header against Wigan and the shot against Blackburn is something I expect to see from talented centre forwards.

Aye, opposition players are going to be given a game-plan to man-mark him now, which is going to draw one or two of their players towards the edge of the area and away from the 6-yard box, giving the likes of Williamson, Taylor, Carroll Best and Shola more of a run on the cross. Expect to see this happen more on inswinging corners, where Barton can exploit the 'corridor of uncertainty'.

This might be clutching at straws somewhat but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the intended plan of that sort of set piece.

We all know opposition managers watch club's set pieces and so on to try and produce a counter to it. The more emphasis we put on Coloccini, the more freedom that it gives our other players to get a chance at hitting the target. The diversity in our set pieces recently has been impressive and I wouldn't be surprised if Colo got a couple more goals this season.

Just as well the club had more sense than to buy any of those, and got Colo instead.

Well yeah, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

For what it's worth I'd still take Faye now.

Guest neesy111

FWIW, Colo started off pretty well in his first season. He was unbelievable against Chelsea at the Bridge around November time. When the club really went to shit he dropped off. I'd probably put it partly down to Saylor positioning as well, an accomplished CB can't imagine he'll join a club and play alongside that like.

I seem to remember Saylor being our best player in the last 3rd of that season tbh.

Guest neesy111

Over Coloccini?

Nee way!

Not over Coloccini man :lol:

Ah right, thought that was a bit mental.

I always thought Faye was good as well, mystified why he wanted to go to Stoke. I guess he only came to NUFC because of Allardyce.

Keegan wanted rid of him IIRC.

FWIW, Colo started off pretty well in his first season. He was unbelievable against Chelsea at the Bridge around November time. When the club really went to s*** he dropped off. I'd probably put it partly down to Saylor positioning as well, an accomplished CB can't imagine he'll join a club and play alongside that like.

I seem to remember Saylor being our best player in the last 3rd of that season tbh.

:jonas2:

Don't be fooled by his wannabe John Terry performances

FWIW, Colo started off pretty well in his first season. He was unbelievable against Chelsea at the Bridge around November time. When the club really went to s*** he dropped off. I'd probably put it partly down to Saylor positioning as well, an accomplished CB can't imagine he'll join a club and play alongside that like.

:jonas2:

Don't be fooled by his wannabe John Terry performances

He was decent, especially at RB.  Obviously he'll be blamed for every other players woes in the squad at the time.

Both had a shit midfield in front of them both made individual errors but Taylor gets blamed, even for Coloccini's mistakes.

Over Coloccini?

Nee way!

Not over Coloccini man :lol:

Ah right, thought that was a bit mental.

I always thought Faye was good as well, mystified why he wanted to go to Stoke. I guess he only came to NUFC because of Allardyce.

:lol: imagine.

Yeah it was a strange one. I would happily have him alongside Colo for next season, whilst we find a long-term replacement.

Simpson    Faye  Colo  Enrique

S.Taylor      Willi    CB        LB