Is Rooney being wasted?

Parky

Messi's had a few so he's just being a WUM.

I think Rooney's pretty effective on the left and he's had some excellent games there. I don't think it's fair to say that he's wasted out there when he's shown that he can be very good out there, better than whatever his 'best' position is (I don't even know what it is).

Rooney has to be responsible for his performances. If he's shown that he's good on the wing and today he doesn't perform, it shouldn't mean that it was Fergie's fault that Rooney didn't perform. Rooney had a poor game today (consecutive CL finals that he's been poor, imo) so it's on him to improve.

With the way Man Utd play - the hybrid 433 451 - I don't think Rooney can actually play up front alone, so he's gotta learn to play this position better.

Ok, what I want to say: He had a good game against Arsenal, has been playing well in the Premiership and been one of Man Utd's best players this season so it's obviously not the position that caused the performance tonight. He was poor and it's the second final that he's been poor in. Gotta do better if he wants to be compared with his own teammate.

It is strange how rooneys been moulded into this team player who generally tries to go past a player and cross it in, maybe get foward a bit himself.

Yet Ronaldo, the winger...has been moulder into the long range shooting striker that rooney was easily capable of being originally.

Works well enough for them though.

Guest firetotheworks

There's plenty of class acts in the England team, its the team as a whole that isn't a class act.

Rio, Terry, The Coles, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney are all the gems imo

Tactically they have been lacking in the past, mainly not having patience. Capello is well on the way to fixing that however.

Rooney should have been more central today for me and Tevez should have started, they hunt well together with CR as the loose forward.

For me the benefit of hindsight says that Rooney should started centrally, personally I thought Rooney might be able to take advantage of Puyol being out of position. Agreed on the Tevez comment though, without doubt.

The England team is such a Rubiks cube though, who the fuck goes where? Do you stick him on the left and sort out that weakness, and play Crouch, or Heskey? Or play him in the middle and play Downing or Young. Neither of the alternatives are good enough for the big games.

Still the brightest young English talent we've produced since Gazza imo. Ferguson is trying to 'round' him like he did to Andy Cole but he'll end up a better more consistent player, if less spectacular.

Respectfully disagree. I'd say Gerrard is currently the only genuine class act in the England side.

And Lampard surely?

Agree with that. Both Lampard and Gerrard are gems at international level. Even as a unit, they've worked very well in central midfield for England, especially in the major tournaments. Neither have been shown up against the more technical sides as being limited in their abilities. I like the way they both maintain possession at that level, and when on the ball, show great touch and control under pressure, as well as that much needed hint of guile and trickery that you want your midfielders to have in order to be able to create space for others or even dribble past the opposition to work openins when the option is there. Their specialities of being able to shoot well from long range or hit long diagonal passes are very useful against international defences who lack intelligence and anticipation. The way they play at club level, i.e. being given the freedom to run into the penalty box at will, bears no impact on the way they play for England, as they're fully adjustable to any system given their abilities to float and manipulate the game with skill/reading.

Guest sittingontheball

He's a whinging Scouse cunt and its a shame Mourinho didn't get him to Chelsea to shut up the mass of other whinging Scouse cunts, but Gerrard is a class act. The real deal.

There's plenty of class acts in the England team, its the team as a whole that isn't a class act.

Rio, Terry, The Coles, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney are all the gems imo

Tactically they have been lacking in the past, mainly not having patience. Capello is well on the way to fixing that however.

Rooney should have been more central today for me and Tevez should have started, they hunt well together with CR as the loose forward.

For me the benefit of hindsight says that Rooney should started centrally, personally I thought Rooney might be able to take advantage of Puyol being out of position. Agreed on the Tevez comment though, without doubt.

The England team is such a Rubiks cube though, who the fuck goes where? Do you stick him on the left and sort out that weakness, and play Crouch, or Heskey? Or play him in the middle and play Downing or Young. Neither of the alternatives are good enough for the big games.

Actually to my mind Young is readymade for the Rooney role at Man U.

Free the Rooney 1 !

If there was ever a couple of knee jerk threads its this one and that shambles La Liga one.

Rooney has been playing there all season at Man U and last season, hardly knee jerk dimwit. He doesn't look the same to me these days.

If there was ever a couple of knee jerk threads its this one and that shambles La Liga one.

Rooney has been playing there all season at Man U and last season, hardly knee jerk dimwit. He doesn't look the same to me these days.

Yet you choose to create this thread after they lose and he has a bad game, not halfway through last season eh?  Was it to obvious back then too??  When they were winning every week? 

What made you do it now, since this has been happenning all season.

Yet you choose to create this thread after they lose and he has a bad game, not halfway through last season eh?  Was it to obvious back then too??  When they were winning every week? 

He's scored 3 goals in the last 15 games for Man U. And I think he is wasted out on the left IMO.

Try to contribute to a thread instead of trying to look clever in future.

He's scored 3 goals in the last 15 games for Man U. And I think he is wasted out on the left IMO.

Try to contribute to a thread instead of trying to look clever in future.

Yet you make this tread when he has had a very poor game and not a week or two again when his record was 3 in 13 then etc.  You choose now,  i'm willing to bet throughout the whole season you have never once said that Rooney plays too withdrawn. 

Something that I have been saying for quite some time. He's lost that spark, that edge to his game that he used to have. He never goes on mazy runs anymore attacking the opposition, playing lovely through balls, playing just off the centre forward. His game used to be all about pace, movement, unpredictability. He might be a better team player now but he's not the player saw as an 18 year old that's for certain. Give me the Rooney of Euro 2004 over this one any day of the week.

I read an article not too long ago called "My Rooney is better than your Rooney" or something along those lines. It's a good read I'll try find it.

Quite correct, don't have the link either, but IIRC, saying how the Rooney at Everton, although rough around the edges, was actually exciting to watch and defenders feared him. I simply don't see the same Rooney at Man Utd. He's been restrained, perhaps for a more well rounded longer career or whatever, but I no longer think "blimey this lad's gonna do something special" when he's on the ball - a characteristic that was associated with him 2 or 3 years ago.

that reminded me of how he played at euro 2004. we've lost THAT player for good now. he's still world class on his day, though his "days" are less frequent that others.

Became the most exciting player in the world at that tournament.

Something that I have been saying for quite some time. He's lost that spark, that edge to his game that he used to have. He never goes on mazy runs anymore attacking the opposition, playing lovely through balls, playing just off the centre forward. His game used to be all about pace, movement, unpredictability. He might be a better team player now but he's not the player saw as an 18 year old that's for certain. Give me the Rooney of Euro 2004 over this one any day of the week.

In a nutshell.

I have a feeling being in the same side as CR has also hurt his mind in some subtle ways.

In a nutshell.

I have a feeling being in the same side as CR has also hurt his mind in some subtle ways.

Why?

He's just another cog in a brutally efficient (and brilliant) machine now. He's been superb at his job this season, arguably their best player, but it has been to the detriment of some of the joy in his football.

He's just another cog in a brutally efficient (and brilliant) machine now. He's been superb at his job this season, arguably their best player, but it has been to the detriment of some of the joy in his football.

I had the feeling Man U as an attacking force struggled at times this season.

I had the feeling Man U as an attacking force struggled at times this season.

More so than last season surprisingly. Tevez and Rooney were sensational with their interplay at times last year, that goal against M'boro at home was out of this world. They've looked far more functional with the likes of Park and Fletcher running themselves into the ground, but they've still produced some devestating counter-attacking football.

Obviously there was the other key difference in that Ronaldo didn't score with every touch this season.

In a way because Rooney has that English mentality and works so hard it counts against him. If he had the work ethic of someone like Berbatov or even Cantona he would no doubt be playing in his preferred position.