RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The overdraft will have been significantly reduced and the reduction in wages will make the cluba more attractive proposition long term.  In fact it is more likely that buyers are happy to pay a bigger price now that current and future liabilities have been reduced.  At least this is what the likes of Caulkin were saying roughly a month ago.

Guest ObaStar

There's something I'm missing here: how will Ashley be able to insist that he wants £100 million for the club if he's cutting down its value by selling most of the players? I guess that if the club was worth £100 million 2 weeks ago now it's surely not. Of course it's not only the players lot which affects the club's value, but it's an important part of it anyway. I cannot think that none of the two (or more) businessmen involved in the negotiations took this into account.

The club could still be worth 100 million but the debt the new owner will inherit will be considerably less.

Yes, but also the squad's value will be less. And the debt is still there, only the "future debts" are reduced now.

What are you talking about? When someone appraises Newcastle United and decides it is worth 100 Mill, it is taking into account how much the squad is worth. If Duff is sold for 4 mill, the club isn't worth 4 mill less, the 4 mill has just been transferred from a player to cash in the club bank account. the club is still worth the same. I don't understand how people don't get this.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/08/17/barry-moat-banking-on-barclays-approval-61634-24457916/

Barry Moat banking on Barclays’ approval

Aug 17 2009 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

PROSPECTIVE Newcastle United owner Barry Moat hopes to get the green light from Barclays Bank by Wednesday for the loan which will enable him to end Mike Ashley’s disastrous stewardship.

The Journal understands that Moat expects to hear a decision by the middle of the week, setting in motion a chain of events which will surely determine whether United can maintain their sterling start to the Championship season.

Moat sat alongside Ashley in the director’s box at St James’s Park on Saturday in a move designed to show the undecided financial institutions that both men are on good terms.

The pair watched United record an emphatic 3-0 victory over Reading and stay unbeaten in the Championship but their hopes of maintaining that momentum reach a crossroads this week.

If Moat and his backers, who form Seymour Pierce’s preferred bidders, get an agreement from Barclays they expect to appoint Alan Shearer in time for the trip to Crystal Palace on Saturday – and provide him with assurances that his squad will not be further depleted.

There will also be extensive player recruitment, although United are on the verge of completing the signing of free agent Sol Campbell this week even if Shearer is not in charge.

Failure for Moat would set in motion a chain of events which would see Ashley withdraw the club from the market, and the owner sanction the sale of key assets Steven Taylor and Jonas Gutierrez before the end of the transfer window.

Taylor is on the verge of leaving for Everton - with some sources in the North West suggesting he was due at Goodison Park for a medical today - but it is likely that the defender will hang on for a few more days to see whether Shearer is appointed boss.

Gutierrez’s future is also shrouded in mystery after claims by Portsmouth’s owner-in-waiting Sulamain al-Fahim that the South coast club are in talks with the Argentina winger.

“We are speaking to Newcastle about the possibility of bringing Jonas Gutierrez to the club,” he said.

Ashley retaining control would dent the enthusiasm of United’s support after an uplifting victory over the weekend that kept the club unbeaten in the Championship.

Almost 35,000 were at St James’s Park and they sung loud and lustily in favour of Ashley relinquishing control of the club – songs that were met with grins by the United owner. And he is prepared to batton down the hatches and take the club off the market if Moat or another bidder doesn’t come forward.

The owner would also have to sort out the issue of the club’s manager, having privately ruled out the possibility of Shearer taking over.

Joe Kinnear has been telling friends in football that he will be the new manager this week if Ashley is still in charge but the owner has other options - and the former interim boss has sullied his reputation with thoughtless remarks about Newcastle fans earlier this month. For hat-trick hero Shola Ameobi, the only option if no owner is found is giving the job to the current incumbents. He believes Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood can take the club back up to the Premier League at the first time of asking.

“If the owner doesn’t sell the club we have got two guys there who we believe in as players,” he said.

“We believe they can do a great job and they have done already. All I have seen in pre-season is that the lads really respect Chris and Colin.”

Shut up Shola.

Guest sicko2ndbest

So much optimism (extensive signings, new owners) can lead to so much depression ( fire sale, same owners)

Ashley retaining control would dent the enthusiasm of United’s support after an uplifting victory over the weekend that kept the club unbeaten in the Championship.

Almost 35,000 were at St James’s Park and they sung loud and lustily in favour of Ashley relinquishing control of the club – songs that were met with grins by the United owner. And he is prepared to batton down the hatches and take the club off the market if Moat or another bidder doesn’t come forward.

:dowie:

So much riding on Barclays.  According to the Journal:

Approved:

Moat, Shearer, money for new signings, no further departures.

Rejected:

Ashley, Kinnear, no new signings, Jonas and Taylor to be sold along with other players that will get bidded on.

We haven't had much to smile about since our Ashley took over so I prepare myself for the worst outcome.

Guest ItalianMagpie

There's something I'm missing here: how will Ashley be able to insist that he wants £100 million for the club if he's cutting down its value by selling most of the players? I guess that if the club was worth £100 million 2 weeks ago now it's surely not. Of course it's not only the players lot which affects the club's value, but it's an important part of it anyway. I cannot think that none of the two (or more) businessmen involved in the negotiations took this into account.

The club could still be worth 100 million but the debt the new owner will inherit will be considerably less.

Yes, but also the squad's value will be less. And the debt is still there, only the "future debts" are reduced now.

What are you talking about? When someone appraises Newcastle United and decides it is worth 100 Mill, it is taking into account how much the squad is worth. If Duff is sold for 4 mill, the club isn't worth 4 mill less, the 4 mill has just been transferred from a player to cash in the club bank account. the club is still worth the same. I don't understand how people don't get this.

Ok but would you buy a club without players with 2 weeks to go in the transfers window? The money we're getting now goes to reduce the debts, but also the context has to be considered: how many chances has the new owner now to get the club back in the top flight at the first attempt?

Guest ObaStar

We have players, I mean we've lost a lot of first teamers, but as we have seen from our first two games, our reserve players are good enough at this level. Most likely we will only loan players this year and we can do that well past the September transfer deadline. And I fail to see the importance of going back up at the first attempt. Its obviously preferable, but I don't think anyone looking at our club is going to say "Right, they've sold Taylor to Everton so I'm no longer going to buy the club and there is no chance for promotion."

Guest Nige_S4

We have players, I mean we've lost a lot of first teamers, but as we have seen from our first two games, our reserve players are good enough at this level. Most likely we will only loan players this year and we can do that well past the September transfer deadline. And I fail to see the importance of going back up at the first attempt. Its obviously preferable, but I don't think anyone looking at our club is going to say "Right, they've sold Taylor to Everton so I'm no longer going to buy the club and there is no chance for promotion."

Money basically. If dropping down from the Prem causes so many financial issues for clubs, then promotion sees the opposite. The reason we're selling so many players is that we can't afford to pay them so much. I suppose by getting promoted, we get more money in, but have to pay out more - I suspect there is a lot more extra in than out though.