The England Thread

Pilko

Just watched the highlights there as my plan to watch the match in town last night was some-what destroyed by tom-foolery, drink and pool.

It appears that we are finally playing to our strengths, and attacking games in a very English manner. The squad Capello has put together and teams he's picking are near enough perfect and we are using a very attacking midfield to tear teams apart. My only worry is when we play the giants from on the continent the likes of Germany, Italy and Spain who play a very organised defensive game. Simply because I don't know if our midfield have the defensive qualities to handle them.

Good times are ahead however, and finally a bit of pride and passion has been restored for our nation. (Maybe I'm just a glory supporting England fan....)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest StevieC

Does anyone know of any England Team Message Boards for chat about travel to away games?

Are you a member of englandfans?

No. Not a member of any, but looking to find a couple of the more popular ones to check out.

Does anyone know of any England Team Message Boards for chat about travel to away games?

No. Not a member of any, but looking to find a couple of the more popular ones to check out.

Ah ok. There's a forum for members of englandfans which is the one I use but apart from that I don't know of any.

The appointment of Maradona just had to be the biggest case of heart-ruling-the-head in football history.

...with some competition from Shearer

*ducks*

you don't need to duck, when it happens that's exactly what it will be.

In fact, I bet it'll happen days after Hughton finally stops putting Butt in then squad. Then we'll have it all to look forward to yet again.

The appointments are hardly comparable.  One one hand an unreliable, tax evading coke addict and on the other hand a model professional with good leadership skills and who has been said, for ages, to have the makings of a good manager.

I'll let you decide which one is which...

Guest StevieC

Ah ok. There's a forum for members of englandfans which is the one I use but apart from that I don't know of any.

I'm trying to find info on travel to Ukraine and possibly chartered flights.

Do you have a link for englandfans?

I'm trying to find info on travel to Ukraine and possibly chartered flights.

Do you have a link for englandfans?

http://englandfans.thefa.com/

Full England squad to face Ukraine and Belarus:

Goalkeepers: Paul Robinson (Blackburn), Robert Green (West Ham), David James (Portsmouth)

Defenders: Ashley Cole (Chelsea), John Terry (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Wayne Bridge (Manchester City), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Matthew Upson (West Ham)

Midfielders: James Milner (Aston Villa), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), David Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham)

Forwards: Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Carlton Cole (West Ham), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

Wes Brown ffs. :nope:

Full England squad to face Ukraine and Belarus:

Goalkeepers: Paul Robinson (Blackburn), Robert Green (West Ham), David James (Portsmouth)

Defenders: Ashley Cole (Chelsea), John Terry (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Wayne Bridge (Manchester City), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Matthew Upson (West Ham)

Midfielders: James Milner (Aston Villa), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), David Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham)

Forwards: Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Carlton Cole (West Ham), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

Wes Brown ffs. :nope:

Can play RB and CB. Not sure what other option there are TBH.

Just for comparison's sake, I'm going to post Spain's squad:

Goalkeepers:

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid)

José Manuel Reina (Liverpool F.C.)

Diego López (Villarreal)

Defenders:

Raúl Albiol (Real Madrid)

Joan Capdevila (Villarreal)

Andoni Iraola (Athletic Club)

Carlos Marchena (Valencia C.F.)

Ignacio Monreal (C. A. Osasuna)

Gerard Piqué (F.C. Barcelona)

Carles Puyol (F.C. Barcelona)

Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)

Midfielders:

Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid)

Sergio Busquets (F.C. Barcelona)

Santi Cazorla (Villarreal)

Cesc Fábregas (Arsenal)

Xavi Hernández (F.C. Barcelona)

Andrés Iniesta (F.C. Barcelona)

Albert Riera (Liverpool F.C.)

Marcos Senna (Villarreal)

Juan Manuel Mata (Valencia C.F.)

David Silva (Valencia C.F.)

Forwards:

Dani Güiza (Fenerbache)

Fernando Torres (Liverpool F.C.)

David Villa (Valencia C.F.)

Villa got injuried yesterday, though, and his sub has yet to be named. But our WC squad should be something close to that. Honestly I think we are equal or better than England in almost every position, but I rate Capello more than our coach.

Guest Heneage

Do think Jesus Navas has a chance of getting in the squad, if he overcomes his homesickness problems?

Weirdest thing I ever did read. A grown man who can't spend a day away from Seville, you'd think they might let his parents come with him if he's that bothered.

Also how did Bent not get in for England?

Busquets deserves his place in there imo. I reckon you could do with a fourth striker too.

I don't rate him that much, but there aren't many Spanish holding mids playing at the top level, and he is decent. Senna is much better, but aging.

Regarding the fourth striker, absolutely. But Madrid sycophants want Raúl back into it  :doh:

Let's see if Negredo has a good season, his style of play is pretty diferent to Torres' and Villa (more classic centreforward that plays with the back to the goal and feeds on scraps), so he could be useful as an alternative.

Navas is reportedly taking psychiatric help to overcome his problems, since he is dying to play at the WC. IF he is able to get into the squad soon he has a chance, since he's on great form. But our coach won't be making drastic changes to the team at this point.

Bent should get in--no doubt in my mind. Is Carlton Cole any better, honestly? Or Agbonlahor, tbh. I think our squad compares quite favourably to Spain's, tbh, but we haven't got anyone close to Torres or Villa.

Bent should get in--no doubt in my mind. Is Carlton Cole any better, honestly? Or Agbonlahor, tbh. I think our squad compares quite favourably to Spain's, tbh, but we haven't got anyone close to Torres or Villa.

Or Xavi and Iniesta.

Or midfielders who work as well together as Xavi and Iniesta.

Was about to point out that.

I also agree that Bent should be there.