Keegan or Shearer

Guest ObaStar
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keegan or Shearer?

Neither.

I'd rather we got a real manager in, one who knows this division. Shearer is very inexperienced and didn't really pull up many trees (or even show glimpses of any managerial nous) last season, and Keegan is just a man who is famous for his bumbling portrayal of a football manager.

I would accept that, a manager good at building a team up, getting them up and doing well. Preferably who would stick around to see it happen. The major problem with having KK is the embarassing wankathon if/when we went up as to how we will start an assault on the Champions League. If he came back i would have to stop using the net/buying papers/reading forums as the national pisstaking will be immeasurable

Who would honestly care about the pisstaking if we're successful? With KK as manager and a board that he trusts, we'll be back where we belong. I'd say that even if the board was poor and couldn't give him 30m to spend; if he is aware of this and any promises made are fulfilled, then there's only one direction this club is heading.

Anyway, realistically, it ain't happening. But with regards to the thread, there's only one correct answer.

Keegan or Shearer?

Neither.

I'd rather we got a real manager in, one who knows this division. Shearer is very inexperienced and didn't really pull up many trees (or even show glimpses of any managerial nous) last season, and Keegan is just a man who is famous for his bumbling portrayal of a football manager.

You can't expect any bites if you're not going to put any effort in :lol:

Honestly, I'm not fishing there. That's my honest opinion about the whole situation - we've tried the whole messiah thing recently and look where it (amongst other things) got us.

Guest Roger Kint

Keegan or Shearer?

Neither.

I would accept that, a manager good at building a team up, getting them up and doing well. Preferably who would stick around to see it happen. The major problem with having KK is the embarassing wankathon if/when we went up as to how we will start an assault on the Champions League. If he came back i would have to stop using the net/buying papers/reading forums as the national pisstaking will be immeasurable

Who would honestly care about the pisstaking if we're successful? With KK as manager and a board that he trusts, we'll be back where we belong. I'd say that even if the board was poor and couldn't give him 30m to spend; if he is aware of this and any promises made are fulfilled, then there's only one direction this club is heading.

Anyway, realistically, it ain't happening. But with regards to the thread, there's only one correct answer.

We have no divine right to be anywhere, at present we belong here through our obvious failings. KK if you throw money at him may well get us up and then what? Would he accept a few years midtable as theres no hope of cracking the elite any time soon.

I agree however this is a non starter in reality though, it is the Sun after all ;D

Keegan or Shearer?

Neither.

Honestly, I'm not fishing there. That's my honest opinion about the whole situation - we've tried the whole messiah thing recently and look where it (amongst other things) got us.

"Keegan is just a man who is famous for his bumbling portrayal of a football manager."

Not fishing? Come on :lol:

Keegan or Shearer?

Neither.

"Keegan is just a man who is famous for his bumbling portrayal of a football manager."

Alright, maybe I was a little bit. :lol:

But I really don't want Keegan back, he would be a very daft option. I think it was bobyule who said earlier in the thread that Keegan is still licking his lips at the prospect of £8m compensation money or however much it is, which for me is the clincher. Whatever reason there was for him to flounce and walk away in the past (rightly or wrongly) he has a track record of being a fucking bottler and that is not what we need again. Getting him in and then seeing him run off again when the pressure is applied would see us likely end up with Dave fucking Bassett or John Sitton or someone taking us down to League One.

For Gods sake when will people let this Keegan s*** go

The man has walked out on the club on numerous occasions all because the spoilt childish s*** cannot get his own way.

f*** him id rather have mickey mouse as our manager than that clown

I thank Kev profusely for what he did in the mid-90's.

And there it should have ended.

His tantrum throwing got on my tits too. It did in the 90's as well.

I still think if we'd persevered with Dalglish he WOULD have got it right.

We didn't, and since then has been one cock up after another, bar the good times when Sir Bob was well.

And then he lost it, mainly due to the immature turds like Dyer Jenas and Bellamy.

A great post - spot on. The Dalglish sacking was a disgrace because we hadn't even lost a game at the start of a season. Carried out by a Chairman who was seeking popularity among impatient fans and not forgetting Dalglish's spat with Fletcher a few weeks beforehand....

Dalglish had his hands tied by the Board/PLC yet still managed some great signings including Hamman, Solano and Given ; if Shearer had not got injured at Everton pre-season, I reckon it would have become almost impossible for the board to fire Dalglish.

loads of people say the main thing the club needs is stability, appointing Keegan would be a massive contradiction. If he doesn't do a runner this time that's always going to be in the back of people's minds due to his reputation. I'd rather we appointed someone like Lee Clark.

Keegan or Shearer?

Neither.

Alright, maybe I was a little bit. :lol:

But I really don't want Keegan back, he would be a very daft option. I think it was bobyule who said earlier in the thread that Keegan is still licking his lips at the prospect of £8m compensation money or however much it is, which for me is the clincher. Whatever reason there was for him to flounce and walk away in the past (rightly or wrongly) he has a track record of being a fucking bottler and that is not what we need again. Getting him in and then seeing him run off again when the pressure is applied would see us likely end up with Dave fucking Bassett or John Sitton or someone taking us down to League One.

Now you are definitely trying for a bite.

How? :lol: the man has walked away from practically every job he's had.

If you actually look into the circumstances behind each one though I wouldn't say he was a bottler. It sounds like a myth created by The Sun.

If you actually look into the circumstances behind each one though I wouldn't say he was a bottler. It sounds like a myth created by The Sun.

:lol:

There's always a reason for Keegan though, depends on how much you buy in to his excuses i suppose.

There's always a reason for Keegan though, depends on how much you buy in to his excuses i suppose.

It's ridiculous. Every other manager has to put up with shit from various sources, it's just Kevin Keegan uses these reasons as a fucking starting block so he can bolt out of the door when things get tough. THEN he has the fucking cheek to claim compensation? What a fucking joke of a man.

It's ridiculous. Every other manager has to put up with shit from various sources, it's just Kevin Keegan uses these reasons as a fucking starting block so he can bolt out of the door when things get tough. THEN he has the fucking cheek to claim compensation? What a fucking joke of a man.

Aye that's why Ferguson and Wenger came out and said he was in the right and no way would they have put up with what he had to.

Read my post again:

Whatever reason there was for him to flounce and walk away in the past (rightly or wrongly) he has a track record of being a fucking bottler and that is not what we need again.

I'm not getting into a debate about why he walked away from each job etc, that's something that I don't know as much about as others (such as yourself). My point is, regardless of the circumstances, he has walked away from almost every job he's had, making him appear in my eyes to be someone who folds like a pack of cards when the pressure goes up. If he were to be appointed again then leave before the end of the season, we'd be stuck with either Hughton/Calderwood or another old has-been in the Kinnear mould. Keegan's been here twice now as a manager, to a degree of success that is measured differently person to person. I don't think getting him in again would be a good move.

Read my post again:

Whatever reason there was for him to flounce and walk away in the past (rightly or wrongly) he has a track record of being a fucking bottler and that is not what we need again.

I'm not getting into a debate about why he walked away from each job etc, that's something that I don't know as much about as others (such as yourself). My point is, regardless of the circumstances, he has walked away from almost every job he's had, making him appear in my eyes to be someone who folds like a pack of cards when the pressure goes up. If he were to be appointed again then leave before the end of the season, we'd be stuck with either Hughton/Calderwood or another old has-been in the Kinnear mould. Keegan's been here twice now as a manager, to a degree of success that is measured differently person to person. I don't think getting him in again would be a good move.

What pressure though? The only job you could say he really had any pressure was the England job. Of which he admitted he wasn't good enough for and walked out not demanding a penny. Something which is why I also hold Ruud Gullit in high regard for doing the same with us, even though he knew he was going to get the sack.

He had no pressure at us both times, not from the fans anyways. If there was anybody under a least amount of pressure from fans in the country it was Keegan when he was with us. He took Fulham on to another level, left for England. Which to me seems like a big step up, plus everybody wanted him on board. He wasn't under any pressure at Citeh either. He just wasn't going to renew his contract so left early in the best interests of the club.

"A fucking bottler." Indeed.

He's not very reliable though, is he? The fact that he's never seen out a managerial contract (unsure about whether he did at Fulham or not, maybe you can put me right?) is rather worrying. As much as you obviously love and respect the man, I still fail to understand why you think he'd be a good option for us right now.

EDIT: Especially when the club lacks stability and really could do with having one manager for an entire frigging season.

Aye that's why Ferguson and Wenger came out and said he was in the right and no way would they have put up with what he had to.

Ferguson and Wenger would have put up with that early on in their careers at Arsenal & Manu, they wouldn't now as they've done too much and built up respect and reputation for winning things.

If you put Keegan in the same light as these two at their clubs there in lies the reason you think he did the right thing (or had a reason), unfortunately Keegan as a manager has won fuk all of any meaning yet demands the respect of a manager at the top of the game and this time from an owner who is out of touch with football and only sees in business terms.

Ferguson and Wenger are legends of the English managerial game, they can afford not to take shite so they can say he did the right thing, as that's what they would have done,  but what has Keegan done? Nothing of note, Keegan's self opinion far outweighs his managerial ability.

He's not very reliable though, is he? The fact that he's never seen out a managerial contract (unsure about whether he did at Fulham or not, maybe you can put me right?) is rather worrying. As much as you obviously love and respect the man, I still fail to understand why you think he'd be a good option for us right now.

EDIT: Especially when the club lacks stability and really could do with having one manager for an entire frigging season.

I never said he would be a good option for us right now. I just said if it came down to it and Keegan had full control and backing that I would chose him over Shearer.

Ferguson and Wenger would have put up with that early on in their careers at Arsenal & Manu, they wouldn't now as they've done too much and built up respect and reputation for winning things.

If you put Keegan in the same light as these two at their clubs there in lies the reason you think he did the right thing (or had a reason), unfortunately Keegan as a manager has won fuk all of any meaning yet demands the respect of a manager at the top of the game and this time from an owner who is out of touch with football and only sees in business terms.

Ferguson and Wenger are legends of the English managerial game, they can afford not to take shite so they can say he did the right thing, as that's what they would have done,  but what has Keegan done? Nothing of note, Keegan's self opinion far outweighs his managerial ability.

I never said that Keegan was as good of a manager as those two. Not once.

Do you not rate Keegan as a manager btw? Ignoring all of the shite.

I never said he would be a good option for us right now. I just said if it came down to it and Keegan had full control and backing that I would chose him over Shearer.

Okay, if you were given full choice then of all realistically available managers, where would Keegan rank in your preferred shortlist of appointments?