What is your most treasured memory of Sir Bobby?

Ash

Not so much a treasured memory but something which makes me laugh the more i think about it! Think it was WC90 and it was the night before a big match and he was checking on Gazza who was hyperactive, he caught him after lights out standing by the window in his room so Sir Bobby went in and asked him what he was doing, apparently Gazza couldnt sleep and said he was "throwing stones at some chickens", instead of bollocking him Sir Bobby didnt believe he could do it and said "go on then".

I probably havent told the story perfectly, but the idea of the great man stood in a hotel room challenging Gazza to lob stones at chickens gets me everytime. 

:lol: I would love to have seen the relationship between Gazza and Sir Bobby at WC90.

Guest Roger Kint

The Just Call Me Bobby doco when he tells O'Brien 'You dont get that in Harrogate son' about the cathedral in Barca

His interviews after Arsenal home (1-1), after Boro away (3-1)

Spurs at home (6-1), Southampton at home (5-0), Chelsea FA Cup semi final, the game summed up the spirit he had created in the side even though we unluckly lost. Arsenal away (3-1) & Feyenoord away.

I think my favourite moment was during an interview, he was asked if we could win the league.

He replied, we have as much chance as flying to the moon.

the reporter asked him if he would like to be there (obviously referring to top of the league)

and Bobby replied straight faced, "What, on the moon?"

Absolutely cracks me up.

I live in Australia and have done since 1979. I came home in 2003 for the first time in 20 years and my wife and I were given tickets opposite the players entrance for the easter game v Villa. (Nobby scored a free kick in a 1-1 draw) I remember throughout the game, looking across to the bench and Bobby dressed immaculately in a black suit, white shirt, club tie, standing like a giant, directing, cajoliong, encouraging, praising and occasionally bolocking the players throughout. He was magnificent and I remember thinking to myself how dominant he looked and how proud I would have been to play for someone like him.

Just seen this;

Andy O’Brien has shared his thoughts about Sir Bobby Robson with the official Bolton Wanderers website. When the Bolton defender was at St James’ Park, Robson was Newcastle United’s manager and as O’Brien recollects Bobby had an endearing way with words.

“The thing I remember the most about him was when we played against Chelsea in a League Cup game, got beat in extra time and I’d missed a couple of opportunities.

“He came to me after the game and I said, ‘I should have done better with the first one, and I should have done better with the second one’. He looked at me and said ‘do you know what? I think you’re the best player I ever signed.’ About 30 seconds later he came back and said, ‘maybe not the best’ .”

My most treasured memory will be today.

Going to the ground, seeing all of the people there.  Shirts, flags and scarves from clubs from both this country & abroad.

Clearly his family will be devastated by their loss, but I only hope they feel strong enough to make it to the ground in the next week to see the effect Sir Bobby had on so many people.

RIP.

Going to the ground, seeing all of the people there.  Shirts, flags and scarves from clubs from both this country & abroad.

Clearly his family will be devastated by their loss, but I only hope they feel strong enough to make it to the ground in the next week to see the effect Sir Bobby had on so many people.

RIP.

It will stay with me, the first time i took my son to sjp, i sat in the leazes, he asked when the football would start. promised to take him this season.

RIP.

:clap:

One time I do remember was him on the touchline in Turin in 90, in that silver suit during the penalties. It was clearly the biggest match in his career and the way he carried himself throughout it all was just sheer class. It must have been like a dagger through the heart when Waddle's penalty screamed over the bar but he just walked straight over to Beckenbauer, shook his hand and congratulated him. The absolute classiest thing he could possibly have done and it showed me that sometimes things just don't work out in life and sometimes you lose - you can do your utmost to prepare for something but it doesn't mean it's going to go your way. When it does happens you've got to accept it and act with a bit of dignity.

This - the silver suit and his dignity at the moment of great failure.  Although my real memory of this was not from the game itself but from the closing credits of the TV round up of Italia 90, with Pavarotti's Nessun Dorma reaching its crescendo.  Dignity personified.

Whenever I need a "pick-me-up" moment to say "you can do this".........Nessun Dorma and Sir Bobby.

Guest Heneage

RIP.

:clap:

I know they have planned things for the West Brom game, but will there be stuff at the Reading game too? I'd really hope so, possibly a memorial shirt for the team to be auctioned off as well as black armbands appreciation/minutes silence, that sort of thing, it would be a shame for the first home game not to be a celebration or remembrance  of his life.

About 1999 I was at the North Tyneside youth international tournament thingy at the Churchill playing fields in Whitley Bay. Me and my mate were watching some game and then next thing we know, this bloke walks up and stands next to us to watch the game and it was only Bobby Robson!!!!!! :kasper:

He stayed for about half an hour, it was great, me and my mate then followed him for ages around all the other matches.

Class!!  :thup:

Just seen this;

Andy O’Brien has shared his thoughts about Sir Bobby Robson with the official Bolton Wanderers website. When the Bolton defender was at St James’ Park, Robson was Newcastle United’s manager and as O’Brien recollects Bobby had an endearing way with words.

“The thing I remember the most about him was when we played against Chelsea in a League Cup game, got beat in extra time and I’d missed a couple of opportunities.

“He came to me after the game and I said, ‘I should have done better with the first one, and I should have done better with the second one’. He looked at me and said ‘do you know what? I think you’re the best player I ever signed.’ About 30 seconds later he came back and said, ‘maybe not the best’ .”

:angel: