A bus to Dundee

Dave

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/08/03/mike-ashley-pays-for-dundee-flights-72703-24302599/

Mike Ashley pays for Dundee flights

Aug 3 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Mike Ashley

TOON tycoon Mike Ashley caved into player power at St James’s Park after furious United stars threatened to have a whip-round in order to pay for a private flight to Dundee.

The Chronicle revealed on Friday how bean counters at Gallowgate had informed players they faced a five-hour bus trip to Tayside for their friendly with Dundee United.

Last season United jetted to Premier League destinations but, with Ashley keen to cut costs at St James’s as he looks to jump ship, players were angered by the decision to take the bus to Scotland.

And it went as far as players, headed by bad boy Joey Barton, planning a whip-round to raise the £8,000 required to organise the flight.

But Ashley relented and United flew to Dundee.

An insider at United told the Chronicle: “The players were quite annoyed when they heard it was going to be a bus ride to Dundee.

“Some of the senior players, organised by the players committee, decided to have a whip-round so they could fly.

“They were even prepared to pay the way for some of the youngsters like Tamas Kadar and Kazenga LuaLua, who aren’t earning a fortune.

“But in the end Mike Ashley came up with the goods when he realised some of the players had turned up the heat.”

It’s understood that players have also rallied around boss Hughton who has his hands tied in the transfer market.

Hughton is admired by the players for dealing with such adversity in the dressing room, with even the patient Londoner frustrated by the lack of funds this summer.

The insider said: “Chris deserves a medal. By his own admission, he’s not a manager – he’s a coach.

“But while he’s in charge at Newcastle, he needs to be able to add players, especially with a few more players set to follow Oba Martins out the door.”

Tight bastard. :lol:

Ashley should have stuck to his guns if it was a point of principle. I ca't stand the fat cunt but the thought of these over-paid wankers demanding 5 star treatment makes me feel sick tbh.

Guest The Libertine

1) A 5 HOUR BUS TRIP?!?!?! THEY AREN'T ANIMALS FFS!!!  :angry:

2) a squad with at least 5 multi millionaires in it not managing to get £8k between them is some achievement and not surprising at all.

In all fairness, given the money most of them earn, surely a contribution towards flying to away games wouldn't be so bad. At the end of the day it's not as though they've taken pay cuts as a result of relegation. Call it a "relegation tax"!!!

Guest toonlass

Aww the poor little lambs. Having to get a bus  :yikes: to Dundee. It must be so difficult for them. FFS they should have been made to walk to Dundee after the shite last season.  :rant:

Guest diddimz

Am I the only one that thinks that a 5hour trip isn't that big a deal.  Let them catch the bus theyre not in the premierleague anymorel, they need to realise things change with that.

Guest neesy111

this just shows to me why i fucking h8 most of this squad in fact all of them

If these players actually tried last season then you wouldn't need to get the bus ffs, it's your own fault

Can't sse what point the article is trying to make. 

Is it 'Evil Tycoon Newcastle Owner bastard Mike Ashley defeated by useless cunts players.  The same useless cunts players that were resposible for getting the club in the shit and should understand the lavish trappings of the Premier life are behind them.  Who were able to 'scrape together' £8,000 between around twenty of them, from the ill gotten gains of the last few seasons.  Joey Barton probably keeps more than that in his sock!'

The headline should have been 'Bastards Leech More Out Of Club!'.

Can't sse what point the article is trying to make. 

Is it 'Evil Tycoon Newcastle Owner bastard Mike Ashley defeated by useless cunts players.  The same useless cunts players that were resposible for getting the club in the shit and should understand the lavish trappings of the Premier life are behind them.  Who were able to 'scrape together' £8,000 between around twenty of them, from the ill gotten gains of the last few seasons.  Joey Barton probably keeps more than that in his sock!'

The headline should have been 'Bastards Leech More Out Of Club!'.

:clap:

Am I the only one that thinks that a 5hour trip isn't that big a deal.  Let them catch the bus theyre not in the premierleague anymorel, they need to realise things change with that.

I think a 5 hour bus trip is a bit of a joke tbh. They would be leaving about 8am and probably not getting home until 10-11pm. Its a bit pointless when you can get the plane. Hardly ideal preparation for a game, and then probably makes everyone fucked for their first training session on the Monday morning.

I think some peoples over reations is a bit pathetic really. Some people would probably only be happy if the players were getting the cane an hour before West Brom, no matter its effect on the players or our chances.

I would prefere to look at it in terms of Mike Ashley being a tight fisted cunt tbh. He takes most blame for relegation for me.