Serious Question

ianovthetoon

The whole talk of the summer has involved mindless speculation of Alan Shearer taking over as manager. I've been thinking about this for a few days, but does anyone think that Shearer might be a better bet as Chairman, ala Niall Quinn.

Local Hero, Media darling, knows what the club requires, would get the fans on side regardless of who the manager is. Perhaps this would be a better strategy for any would be buyers

The whole talk of the summer has involved mindless speculation of Alan Shearer taking over as manager. I've been thinking about this for a few days, but does anyone think that Shearer might be a better bet as Chairman, ala Niall Quinn.

Local Hero, Media darling, knows what the club requires, would get the fans on side regardless of who the manager is. Perhaps this would be a better strategy for any would be buyers

I feel like it's a good idea in theory but he'd want to have his hands in the mix so-to-speak.  He would have trouble being a hands-off chairman.

It seems to make more sense really. If he crashed and burned as a manager here, it would be hard to see a way back in for him, but to give arguably the best player of this generation the chance to mould the club with a more strategic/long term plan would be of far more benefit.

As it's "his" club in terms of support, as a born winner he'd go hell for leather to make sure we were a success

I feel like it's a good idea in theory but he'd want to have his hands in the mix so-to-speak.  He would have trouble being a hands-off chairman.

Agreed. Plus, any manager would feel like he was always waiting in the wings to take their job.

Would be great hearing the same news stories every week if we hit a rough spot: "Shearer ready to make the step down from the board room to the dugout!"

Just make him a manager and get it over with

Still, wouldn't one need a certain amount of business acumen to do that job well?

Niall Quinn has simply appointed the right people around him, the business side is dealt with by the Chief Exec, whilst the PR, Strategy etc are devised by Quinn

wouldnt want it

Yeah - this is it really. Reasonable idea in theory as people have said but he'd never ever go for anything like that. The guy wants to be a manager so i say fair play. If only we could let him be one.

The idea was also being bandied about with Le Tissier being Chairman of Soutampton, except that the Pinnacle Group weren't successful with their takeover bid.

I think the idea has a lot of merit.   Newcastle, like Sunderland when Quinn was appointed, need to be pulled together to be singing from the same hymnsheet.  I can't think of anyone better than Shearer. 

The other point is what happens if Shearer is appointed as manager and fails dramatically?   Sack an iconic figure?  Spurs had to do it with Hoddle and sacking a legend caused more problems and disruption than the sacking of a run of the mill manager.  Surely better to have Shearer always there to pull the club together than appointing him as manager and keeping your fingers crossed it works out for him.

The idea was also being bandied about with Le Tissier being Chairman of Soutampton, except that the Pinnacle Group weren't successful with their takeover bid.

Takeover bid.  :mackems: