The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

Change your name to Drogba, and have a Drogba photo then. Put it where your mouth is. Probably your arse. ;)

Hilarious.

Ronaldo is the better striker and the best player i've ever seen.

Best goalscorer, yes. Best striker, maybe (others had more to their game, but I think I'd still have him in my lifetime starting XI). Best player absolutely not.

In his prime who came close?

What about Puskas?  :crazy2:

edit: nvm, see you're talking about recent players

The problem Pellegrini has is all the player, media and board politics he has to wrestle with at Real, which is the cancer of that team and the reason they eat through managers like I do with pies. The manager at Madrid just doesn't have full control of selections and signings, and he has to play ball.

For example, Raúl has to play. By divine right. Every time Raúl doesn't start, all the media in Madrid put it in front page. Pellegrini is wrestling with that giving him starts in easy games to keep him and his posse happy, and benching him at real games like today's. Higuaín is so much better than him it's ridiculous, yet Higuaín still isn't an automatic starter.

Also, Cronaldo has to be central. The reason is that he has to be Real's top goalscorer, even if playing him at the middle starts a merry-go-round that ends up in playing Kaká, Benzema, Higuaín... out of position (and Cronaldo is a great central forward, mind)

The style of play is another thing Pellegrini gets *a lot* of flak for. The Madrid press wants Real to play better than Barça does and slag Pellegrini immensely for not doing it. However, they just can't play possession football, they don't have the players for it. Kaká, Benzema, Cronaldo... are another kind of footballer. More direct. They did well today doing what Madrid can do best at the moment: forcing the opposition to lose the ball in midfield and hit with fast counters.

Duh. Zidane, Maradona, Sócrates, Van Basten, Zico, Francescoli... players that I think were better at their prime than Ronaldo. But comparing players of different positions is tricky. Ronaldo has a case for better striker I have seen in my lifetime. I love Van Basten though.

Until you mentioned Enzo Francescoli,i was with you.

Tbh...Zidane is the best player in my lifetime...and I am 41,just after Pele,Best et al.

i guess you never saw peter cartwright.

i did...and billy askew...

still rate zidane so highly now you've refreshed your memory ?

Well, i've not seen the others apart from Zidane. Which is why I said "Ronaldo is the better striker and the best player i've ever seen".

I'm 23 man, how on earth do you expect me to have seen Maradona, Sócrates, Van Basten, Zico and Francescoli for the love of god?

and Zidane? You're having a giraffe mate, Ronaldo in his prime could influence a game like Zidane could only dream of.

Don't think i've ever come across someone who is so wrong about most of what they say yet is so confident in there own opinion.

Well, i've not seen the others apart from Zidane. Which is why I said "Ronaldo is the better striker and the best player i've ever seen".

I'm 23 man, how on earth do you expect me to have seen Maradona, Sócrates, Van Basten, Zico and Francescoli for the love of god?

and Zidane? You're having a giraffe mate, Ronaldo in his prime could influence a game like Zidane could only dream of.

Don't think i've ever come across someone who is so wrong about most of what they say yet is so confident in there own opinion.

Van Basten is the most complete striker I've ever seen.

Don't think there's anything 'so wrong' about saying Ronaldo was a better player than Zidane. In his prime he was absolutely unstoppable.

Don't think there's anything 'so wrong' about saying Ronaldo was a better player than Zidane. In his prime he was absolutely unstoppable.

Piffle tbh.Ronaldo was a fantastic striker no doubt,but Zidane was the best player in the World for 8 or 9 years.

theres nothing wrong in saying it...theres a lot wrong in it being anywhere near true.

Love to know how many of these Zidane fans watched him play between world cups.

Yeah remember him winning Champion's League with Madrid a couple of times and also Euro 2000 with France...he also had 2 exceptional world cups...98 and 2006.

Ronaldo?