The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

Guest kingdawson

Kezman ok i get what you're saying and i agree with your statement about him being one of the best dm's in the league on current form.

1 thing you're 100% wrong on is claiming Barry and Carrick are not dm's. Neither are typical combative dm's but both are dm's that sit in front of the back 4. Both are ball playing dm's (i saw carrick week in and week out at spurs). So what if you see some instances where they pushed up the pitch, that happens sometimes but i think the majority of people would agree they're dm's.

Guest Heneage

That's my point they don't sit in front of the back four mate.

De Jong isn't even really a dm, look at the way city line up;

Barry Dejong

Bellamy        Tevez      Petrov

They screen much higher up, DM's sit often inside their own half allowing the defense to drop off. I hate to use FM, but when you play a DM you know where he plays. Barry and even Carrick join in with the attacks, they are too high up to be defensive midfielders, simply because of the first word defensive, that means doesn't attack. Sorry if I'm sounding patronizing (Thats like condescending*)

Even Mascherano sits, Essien I will give you gets forward. That's why Song's good, you could say he's one of a few so that raises his stock its not hes good its more there is a shortage, like Downing being Englands best left winger, hypothetically.

*JOKE

Guest kingdawson

Wow others actually think Barry isn't a dm. This is unreal. Why do you think Rafa badly wanted Barry, even though he was blatantly an inferior player to alonso? because having barry in the team would have given Gerrard more of a license to roam around the pitch. He's a deep lying midfielder that does most his work in deep positions. Yes he occasionally goes up the pitch but what player always sticks to there positions? ...

wait just so i get this right. Where in your opinion was Barry playing for England? 

Guest firetotheworks

really 100% is incorrect? how about you actually contribute rather then"spot on" "100% incorrect" "f***ing hilarious"

Very little more to say than everything you've written is wrong really, but OK.

Neither Barry, nor Carrick are DM, just because they play in that position doesn't mean that they are there to forfill the DM role. Alonso is a prime example of a player who sits in that position and thread balls off but isn't there to sweep things up like a DM such as Mascherano, Yaya Toure, Makelele etc do.

6 months is stretching it grossly as 'form', and even if it is, saying that a player is one of the best in their position at the moment because of that form...what's wrong with that.

Finally no one's mentioning Tom Huddlestone as being one of the best in his position in the league because excellent form or not there are a multitude of excellent midfielders performing week in and week out, whereas there are far fewer DMs. Take RB as a case. People kept banging on about Glen Johnson being the best thing since sliced bread last season but in reality he's not on the same level as Ashley Cole or any other of the best players in other positions, simply because there aren't that many outstanding RBs about.

Guest kingdawson

btw carrick for spurs played in front of the back 4. He was our dm (that's why 99% of spurs fans rank him as one of the best dm's we've had in a while). He sat in front of the back 4 allowing jenas , lennon and davids to push up. That's more or less the reason why we had our most successful season in years.

Guest Heneage

Wow others actually think Barry isn't a dm. This is unreal. Why do you think Rafa badly wanted Barry, even though he was blatantly an inferior player to alonso? because having barry in the team would have given Gerrard more of a license to roam around the pitch. He's a deep lying midfielder that does most his work in deep positions. Yes he occasionally goes up the pitch but what player always sticks to there positions? ...

wait just so i get this right. Where in your opinion was Barry playing for England?

Midfield. Not defensive midfield, just midfield, he was way to forward to be a defensively minded midfielder man, how simple do you want it. Do you regularly see Song running up the pitch? Is he ahead of Fabregas/Ramsey/Nasri?

I also never debated Carrick played DM for Spurs, Kuyt played striker for Feyenoord but plays right wing for Liverpool, positions change.

Guest kingdawson

Firetotheworks i think you only see combative midfielders who are strong aggressive and put tackles in as dm's tbh  Wow you actually compared Alonso to Barry. ummm if they were the same type of midfielders why would rafa want to replace one with the other?

Yes they have similarities but if you can't see that Barry is more defensive and has a far better positional sense then Xabi then i'm afraid there's no point continuing this.

Guest kingdawson

Midfield. Not defensive midfield, just midfield, he was way to forward to be a defensively minded midfielder man, how simple do you want it. Do you regularly see Song running up the pitch? Is he ahead of Fabregas/Ramsey/Nasri?

I also never debated Carrick played DM for Spurs, Kuyt played striker for Feyenoord but plays right wing for Liverpool, positions change.

Wow Barry in your opinion has been playing simply as a cm for England. You actually don't see how he sat in front of the back four in the England games (exactly like Carrick did for England too). You don't get why the majority who wanted him in ahead of Lampard was because he can sit in front of the back 4 allowing Gerrard more space?

I'm honestly shocked. I really want Brummie's opinion on this as i'm 99% sure he'll say what i've been saying.

Guest firetotheworks

Firetotheworks i think you only see combative midfielders who are strong aggressive and put tackles in as dm's tbh  Wow you actually compared Alonso to Barry. ummm if they were the same type of midfielders why would rafa want to replace one with the other?

Yes they have similarities but if you can't see that Barry is more defensive and has a far better positional sense then Xabi then i'm afraid there's no point continuing this.

:lol:

I didnt compare them, I said they're both not Defensive Midfielders.

Brummie might be the best person to ask here, but that all this 'what is a DM?' stuff put aside I'd still put Song ahead of Barry at the moment anyway. I've watched most of Man City's matches this season, and he's been generally very, very shit. Whereas Song has been the opposite of shit.

Guest toonlass

:lol:

I didnt compare them, I said they're both not Defensive Midfielders.

Brummie might be the best person to ask here, but that all this 'what is a DM?' stuff put aside I'd still put Song ahead of Barry at the moment anyway. I've watched most of Man City's matches this season, and he's been generally very, very shit. Whereas Song has been the opposite of shit.

I think you will find that it's usually called good.  O0

Sorry but this is a load of bollocks. I specifically remember the vast majority of Arsenal fans having a defensive midfielder top of their summer wish list. Time and time again i heard "We need a gilberto type player to partner Fabregas). Yes he's had a very good half season but how the hell does that prove he's one of the best dm's in the league? I could understand if you was saying "he's well on he's way to becoming one of the best".

Players like Maschereno, Essien (even though he isn't really a dm) , Barry, and Carrick have been consistently good season after season. Heck even the likes of Palacios and De jong have shown more in the premiership then Song has (altough song has been better than both this half season).

I seem to remember Cattermole having a good half season at Wigan but i don't remember anyone going on about him being one of the best defensive mids in the league.

I know that Wenger has been under fire from the Gooners for not buying a new DM, but it looks like Wenger knew he was nursing a gem in Song. He's a young player who naturally struggled at first in what is usually a position for an experienced player, but now he's arrived.

An essential quality in any good manager is the ability to completely ignore the views of most fans.

I don't know about Essien and Mascherano, but Song looks better than Barry or Carrick were at 22.

Guest firetotheworks

One of the best all rounders. Probably my favourite in the PL after Arshavin too. Im yet to see him put one foot wrong.

The hell with it. It's New Years eve eve. No one will remember.

Michael Essien is the best player in the world.

:ninja:

Definitely an exceptional player, but Messi looks destined to be one of the all-time greats. Up there with the likes of Maradona and Cruyff.

Definitely an exceptional player, but Messi looks destined to be one of the all-time greats. Up there with the likes of Maradona and Cruyff.

Messi isn't human, I agree. But I can't look past Essien. I'm always so impressed with his game.

forwards (attacking players) always seem to be remembered and regarded higher than those of other positions, wrongly in my opinion.

Definitely isn't a coincidence how Chelsea have gone from looking comfortable in beating almost any team in the league with Essien to struggling in almost every game without him.

Same thing happened last season too really, I reckon Scolari would still be their manager had they had Essien all season.

Guest Heneage

Definitely isn't a coincidence how Chelsea have gone from looking comfortable in beating almost any team in the league with Essien to struggling in almost every game without him.

Same thing happened last season too really, I reckon Scolari would still be their manager had they had Essien all season.

The guys energy levels are fantastic, he attributes it to 14 hours sleep a day, but either way, he truly is a monster.