Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Not surprised that people like Lee Ryder, who are used to dealing with the average footballer, like Joey Barton. I would probably like him as well if I knew him personally, and he is more down to earth than the average player.

But that doesn't mask his obvious character flaws or mean it is right for him to be talking s*** about NUFC in public.

His opinion is a valid one.

You may not like what he has to say but he's been closer to the regime than anyone on this board which gives his views some gravitas.

I know his opinion is a valid one, I just don't agree with it.

And whether he's close to the regime or not is irrelevant to my criticism, Barton should keep his mouth shut whether he's right or wrong.

Where has keeping your mouth shut ever got you? I proudly participated in chants of SOUNESS OUT repeatedly at SJP and I'd like to think that helped to get him sacked.

Can't believe people still fall for Barton's shit. He himself doesn't know what he wants, actually that's not completely true. He wanted him and his little gang to get the contracts they wanted and to stay here for life. He complains about a lack of ambition but doesn't seem to understand ambition any more than the tossers who run the club. He was moaning about Cabaye (bad signing anyone?) and now we have signed a very promising full back to replace the one who inevitably left he is moaning about him.

He is a bullshit merchant on par with the owners, if we didn't sell anyone but didn't buy anyone he would have been perfectly happy to stay here the rest of his career.

As said before, he just needs to concentrate and show a little bit of respect for his current club. They will need him putting in all his effort to keep them up, while we with our shit, unproven signings can concentrate on trying to achieve a top half finish.

Well said.

Not surprised that people like Lee Ryder, who are used to dealing with the average footballer, like Joey Barton. I would probably like him as well if I knew him personally, and he is more down to earth than the average player.

But that doesn't mask his obvious character flaws or mean it is right for him to be talking s*** about NUFC in public.

You may not like what he has to say but he's been closer to the regime than anyone on this board which gives his views some gravitas.

And whether he's close to the regime or not is irrelevant to my criticism, Barton should keep his mouth shut whether he's right or wrong.

Where has keeping your mouth shut ever got you? I proudly participated in chants of SOUNESS OUT repeatedly at SJP and I'd like to think that helped to get him sacked.

You're a fan of NUFC, that's fine. Barton is a professional footballer who plays for QPR. There's a lot of distance between those two.

Can't believe people still fall for Barton's s***. He himself doesn't know what he wants, actually that's not completely true. He wanted him and his little gang to get the contracts they wanted and to stay here for life. He complains about a lack of ambition but doesn't seem to understand ambition any more than the tossers who run the club. He was moaning about Cabaye (bad signing anyone?) and now we have signed a very promising full back to replace the one who inevitably left he is moaning about him.

He is a bullshit merchant on par with the owners, if we didn't sell anyone but didn't buy anyone he would have been perfectly happy to stay here the rest of his career.

As said before, he just needs to concentrate and show a little bit of respect for his current club. They will need him putting in all his effort to keep them up, while we with our s***, unproven signings can concentrate on trying to achieve a top half finish.

"if we didn't sell anyone but didn't buy anyone he would have been perfectly happy to stay here the rest of his career." That's complete and utter conjecture. Anyone who knows about him can envisage Barton pointing out that the Carroll money wasn't spent in that situation, and pointing out the lack of ambition. You can't just attribute your analysis of the potential outcome of a hypothetical situation to factual reality and then assign it as an argument to denigrate the man's character.

You're a fan of NUFC, that's fine. Barton is a professional footballer who plays for QPR. There's a lot of distance between those two.

I'd disagree, I think Barton is a fan of NUFC too. Firstly, I still believe that players, while loyalty is dead, feel some sentiment for clubs they play for and probably want them to succeed if they aren't fucked over by them. Secondly, I believe him when he says that he felt an affinity for the place, not least as he has become less of a volatile, crime-happy vagabond at NUFC, and likely (or so I would hope) appreciates our patience with him.

I'd disagree, I think Barton is a fan of NUFC too. Firstly, I still believe that players, while loyalty is dead, feel some sentiment for clubs they play for and probably want them to succeed if they aren't fucked over by them. Secondly, I believe him when he says that he felt an affinity for the place, not least as he has become less of a volatile, crime-happy vagabond at NUFC, and likely (or so I would hope) appreciates our patience with him.

Keep believing that, but IMO you're 100% wrong.

Footballers are all twats that do what is best for themselves.

I'd disagree, I think Barton is a fan of NUFC too. Firstly, I still believe that players, while loyalty is dead, feel some sentiment for clubs they play for and probably want them to succeed if they aren't f***ed over by them. Secondly, I believe him when he says that he felt an affinity for the place, not least as he has become less of a volatile, crime-happy vagabond at NUFC, and likely (or so I would hope) appreciates our patience with him.

So you believe no footballer ever has sentimental attachment to clubs they've played for? See the line up on soccer saturday for proof of why you're wrong.

I'd disagree, I think Barton is a fan of NUFC too. Firstly, I still believe that players, while loyalty is dead, feel some sentiment for clubs they play for and probably want them to succeed if they aren't f***ed over by them. Secondly, I believe him when he says that he felt an affinity for the place, not least as he has become less of a volatile, crime-happy vagabond at NUFC, and likely (or so I would hope) appreciates our patience with him.

So you believe no footballer ever has sentimental attachment to clubs they've played for? See the line up on soccer saturday for proof of why you're wrong.

These days, no.

When football used to be football, absolutely.

If he appreciates our patience with him then why is he giving us a hard time? The same people who chose not to sack him when he went to prison are the people he's having a go at now.

Anyway, pointless discussion really, I just think Barton is now a QPR player and should show some professionalism and mind his own business. Whether he has any affection for NUFC is beside the point.

Joey's choice of club despite his agent claiming "many top clubs" were interested, says everything about what motivates Joey Barton.

Man of the people my arse, just another greedy money grabbing bastard I'm afraid, even if he does like Morrisey.

If he appreciates our patience with him then why is he giving us a hard time? The same people who chose not to sack him when he went to prison are the people he's having a go at now.

Anyway, pointless discussion really, I just think Barton is now a QPR player and should show some professionalism and mind his own business. Whether he has any affection for NUFC is beside the point.

They never chose not to sack him, they've made previous attempts to flog him and done so in an overtly public manner, they just couldn't shift him, primarily as due to his past mistakes nobody say him as a risk worth taking, especially as he was basically still in/fresh out of jail. As soon as they finally found a willing bidder he was off. I opine that had any club come in with a serious bid in a window before this one it would have been made very clear to him that he was not wanted here.

There's nothing unprofessional about what he's doing. He's a professional footballer, ergo perfectly entitled to criticise an unjust issue within his profession, that profession being football, especially about a professional football club for whom he exercised his professional skills.

These days, no.

When football used to be football, absolutely.

I would disagree, there are still players out there (absolutely less so than in the past, you are correct) who support their clubs and feel sentiment towards them. When we went down, Steven Taylor made it very clear that he wanted to stay and help out immediately. Gerrard at Liverpool is another, Giggs and Scholes at United...

They never chose not to sack him, they've made previous attempts to flog him and done so in an overtly public manner, they just couldn't shift him, primarily as due to his past mistakes nobody say him as a risk worth taking, especially as he was basically still in/fresh out of jail. As soon as they finally found a willing bidder he was off. I opine that had any club come in with a serious bid in a window before this one it would have been made very clear to him that he was not wanted here.

There's nothing unprofessional about what he's doing. He's a professional footballer, ergo perfectly entitled to criticise an unjust issue within his profession, that profession being football, especially about a professional football club for whom he exercised his professional skills.

Sorry, that's nonsense, it's not professional to air your grievances in public.

On the sacking thing I don't know, I'm pretty sure we could have terminated his contract if we had wanted. Anyway, that wasn't my argument, I was just responding to you saying we had shown patience with him, which we have.

he is maybe giving "us"(by us i mean the board) a hard time because he doesn't like fans being lied too and also didn't Mike Ashely want to sack Barton but Keegan wanted to keep him ? And personally i am glad that Barton is highlighting these things the truth needs to be known, the only thing i would say is that if i was Q.P.R fan i would be dissapointed to see Barton fawning over another club.

he is maybe giving "us"(by us i mean the board) a hard time because he doesn't like fans being lied too and also didn't Mike Ashely want to sack Barton but Keegan wanted to keep him ? And personally i am glad that Barton is highlighting these things the truth needs to be known, the only thing i would say is that if i was Q.P.R fan i would be dissapointed to see Barton fawning over another club.

Any QPR fan with a shred of intelligence understands that if our club wasn't rotten from the core a player of his caliber wouldn't be lining up for them. I'm sure they'll deal with the media spotlight that it brings instead of watching a less talented player in their side.

I just look back at how everyone laughed at Keegan and told him he was bitter as fuck and should shut up because he looks desperate... and what he said turned out to be true...

Sorry, that's nonsense, it's not professional to air your grievances in public.

On the sacking thing I don't know, I'm pretty sure we could have terminated his contract if we had wanted. Anyway, that wasn't my argument, I was just responding to you saying we had shown patience with him, which we have.

I take your point but I don't think you can attribute the same meaning of "unprofessional" to our job you or I may do to professional football. If you and I are treated like shit at work, we can't really make it public, as nobody would care. But it would be in our interests, and in the best interests of our employer and other employees, to make clear to somebody who matters that something gravely unjust is going on. To attempt a clumsy analogy, if you and I worked for a financial services firm, and we knew a director was embezzling company funds, I believe it would be unprofessional not to air grievances, as we would have a duty to co-employees, investors, shareholders and the industry we worked on to shed light on the wrongdoing. Following these lines, it is entirely professional of Barton, bearing in mind the amount of people interested in NUFC, the game itself AND his (now former) colleagues at all levels of the club, to point out how his employer is treating the people who work for it/put money into it like absolute turd. It's not the most erudite analogy but I trust you can understand the point I'm making.

Furthermore, I don't think there should be an issue about Barton being dishonest or self-interested - we have enough evidence even despite the Ashley/Llambias media and communication blackout to see and understand that what Barton and other players accuse them of is most likely, if not definitely, true.

Guest Rainforest

Jose`s rants were no less "snipey" though,  surely? He basically echoed Barton, so I dont think Joey is that far off tbh.

Its unfortunate that Mike is hiding behind the NUFC-banner, otherwise I suspect there would be far fewer voices defending Ashley just because he happends to be "on our side" by accident and Joey no longer is.

Jose`s rants were no less "snipey" though,  surely? He basically echoed Barton, so I dont think Joey is that far off tbh.

Its unfortunate that Mike is hiding behind the NUFC-banner, otherwise I suspect there would be far fewer voices defending Ashley just because he happends to be "on our side" by accident and Joey no longer is.

Jose's rants were while he was still at the club and angling for a move to a better club. He was entitled to it because he was a quality player who could attract the top clubs. Barton on the other hand is no longer a top player so just sounds like a berk talking about ambition. If we were ambitious you wouldn't be in our plans anyway you tit.