So say we got offered £4m for Smith

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Doesn't justify his wages - get rid.

We don't have enough players to get rid. Other wise I'd be all for him f***ing off.

Reduces the wage bill and he's a liability.  I'd rather have Butt in there and we've still got Guthrie to come back too.

Seriously?

We don't have enough players to get rid. Other wise I'd be all for him f***ing off.

Reduces the wage bill and he's a liability.  I'd rather have Butt in there and we've still got Guthrie to come back too.

We need more than 3 senior midfielders for the championship season + cup games tbh.

Nolan, Guthrie, Barton, Butt, Geremi. We could easily let Smith go.

We need more than 3 senior midfielders for the championship season + cup games tbh.

Fair point, however If were selling one then the order of sale should be  Butt, Geremi, Nolan, Smith, Gutherie, Barton.

£4m would be a bargain for such a limited player who does a very average job that is glossed over by "spectacular" lunging and supposed work rate/effort/passion. none of which prevents him from going missing in a vital area of the pitch.

He's good enough to play in a Championship dominating midfield, but that midfield will struggle when there are similarly limited players around him. Nolan, Butt, Guthrie, Geremi, even Barton, there's a shocking lack of legs in there, very little creativity (in fact only Barton provides an ounce of it), and very, very few goals. Someone needs to go, and out of those six, I'd want at least two from Nolan, Butt, Geremi and Smith to be moved on and replaced with younger, more mobile central midfielders who won't be gasping for air after 60 minutes. That way, we won't have a squad with four/five central midfielders all with the same limitations.

£4m could easily be well spent. I'd be willing to bet that there are at least a dozen obtainable youngsters playing in the reserves of Premiership sides who'd provide the same things as Smith at this level - those things being an average touch, simple passing, and the ability to lunge. It's really not much if you look beyond reputation. And even if they money were to go straight to Ashley's back pocket, we'd still be better off by getting rid of his wages and letting the other central midfielders earn theirs.

No brainer for me, although in an ideal world it'd be Nolan and Butt first out of the door.

If we got offered £4M for Smith I'd be stunned if Ashley took it. In fact even if someone offered £20M for Smith, I'd be stunned if Ashley took it.

He knows how much Smith is detested by the fans, and to him, that is worth more than cold hard cash.

That is priceless.

And he is fucking loving it.

If we got offered £4M for Smith I'd be stunned if Ashley took it. In fact even if someone offered £20M for Smith, I'd be stunned if Ashley took it.

He knows how much Smith is detested by the fans, and to him, that is worth more than cold hard cash.

That is priceless.

And he is f***ing loving it.

Absoloute nonsense.

Guest Heneage

That is priceless.

Truly daft.

That is priceless.

Absoloute nonsense.

You're just sickened that someone round here actually knows how to be a WUM. Learn from the best, child. :razz:

Smith is the only defensive midfielder we have that can actually put any pressure on the opposition.

Nolan & Butt can barely run, let alone keep up with passes. Butt showed that endlessly last season, we have had a go at both for being invisible during games now.

Yet now because smith is over the top he's completely useless to us & a liability. Compared to the others he a godsend ffs.

Atleast you can moan at him for tackling badly, the other dont get anywhere near the ball to tackle in the first place.

Id much rather smith was playing.

Smith's pretty much the same.

Well i didnt get the opportunity to watch him against Sheff Wed but i havent seen that. At one point against reading he made a rash tackle that everyone was having a go at him for, while ignoring the fact that hed just cleared the ball himself from our goal line & then rushed out on his own to put the opposition under pressure while the rest of our side stood around looking clueless. So i think people underestimate what he may be giving us & focusing instead on his bad tackling. From what ive seen, hes of far more use than Nolan or Butt would be defensively in midfield.

Check my posts on here for goodness know how long with regards to Smith. He might be able to get away with it in this league but when he was in the top league his lack of legs and mobility meant he was chasing shadows for most of the time.

The thing that Smith has looked much better with this season is his positioning on the football pitch and the general understanding of his role. He has played like the shield that he should be and is rarely found behind the opposition attack, as he was for much of his earlier time here. I think it is forgotten that the holding role was completely alien to him until a few years ago, so it will take time for him to perfect the way he plays.

Most of all he looks like he has found his position, and isn't the lost soul we saw under Allardyce.

Still can't tackle though. Still far too rash. Still gives loads of free kicks away in dangerous positions.

He only looks better because the opposition are poorer. He might do a decent job for the time being but he's no better than he was when he joined us.

The thing that Smith has looked much better with this season is his positioning on the football pitch and the general understanding of his role. He has played like the shield that he should be and is rarely found behind the opposition attack, as he was for much of his earlier time here. I think it is forgotten that the holding role was completely alien to him until a few years ago, so it will take time for him to perfect the way he plays.

Most of all he looks like he has found his position, and isn't the lost soul we saw under Allardyce.

To be fair I think it took him a year here to realise he's no longer a Manchester United and England player and the injury slowed him down and knocked him for 6.

I expect him to be back to his best this season.

He does dive into too many rash tackles, but I would say that he wins most of them. He tackles tough and hard, which helps get the fans and rest of the team pumped up, helping us with our momentum on the pitch.

Added to the fact that he is our current captain, and has done a pretty good job so far, I would say he should be more valuable to us than Geremi, Butt, Barton and Nolan.

Ok I forgot about Geremi and Butt. Has Geremi had any pre-season at all? If we have to get rid get rid of Geremi Smith has done a good job in the last two games despite what some people are saying.

Guest iliketoonarmy

Looking at the statistic, it's amazing that even Cacapa scored more than Smith in less than 20+ games ;(