Newcastle United 3 - 0 Reading - 15/08/09 - post match reaction from page 22

JH

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I think Carroll's technique is poor, even for this league. He gets the whole geordie boy treatment though as usual because he scored against buffoon and scored a header.

An easy win against a young and toothless Reading side who are clearly going to struggle without Doyle and Hunt ; Reading will not be among the league's pace setters until their young players mature - we had so much room today it was like a cake-walk...

Having said that, the side deserved their win and the passing/movement off the ball was better than for some time. Credit to Ameobi for his goals(and we have to be grateful for small mercies at this point), but he will always struggle against more physical defenders who mark him better than Reading's did - of the two strikers, Carroll impresses me far more, esp at this level, because he is good in the air(laid off some great flicks which weren't used to best advantage), works harder than Ameobi, and is getting better on the ground too ; at his age, he can only improve UNDER THE RIGHT MANAGER whereas Shola has played under the likes of SBR and still hasn't fulfilled his potential...

Jonas did far better than last week but continues to frustrate by not crossing/passing as soon as he has beaten the defender - he will insist on trying to do it again...Nolan tried hard and his effort for the cause couldn't be faulted yesterday, and a great cross from Enrique for the first goal ; he is potentially the best crosser of a ball in the club. Smith gives us a great platform by winning the ball at this level, but his timing will ensure that he gets plenty of cards, which we don't need.

Taylor will be missed if he does leave - the thought of Coloccini as main CB is frightening...

At least the club now has 4 points and this gives a bit of breathing space while all the off-field fiascos are sorted out - it will be interesting to see how this team perform at Hillsborough on Wednesday and I will be surprised if Sheff Weds don't get in their faces far more than Reading did.

An easy win against a young and toothless Reading side who are clearly going to struggle without Doyle and Hunt ; Reading will not be among the league's pace setters until their young players mature - we had so much room today it was like a cake-walk...

Having said that, the side deserved their win and the passing/movement off the ball was better than for some time. Credit to Ameobi for his goals(and we have to be grateful for small mercies at this point), but he will always struggle against more physical defenders who mark him better than Reading's did - of the two strikers, Carroll impresses me far more, esp at this level, because he is good in the air(laid off some great flicks which weren't used to best advantage), works harder than Ameobi, and is getting better on the ground too ; at his age, he can only improve UNDER THE RIGHT MANAGER whereas Shola has played under the likes of SBR and still hasn't fulfilled his potential...

Jonas did far better than last week but continues to frustrate by not crossing/passing as soon as he has beaten the defender - he will insist on trying to do it again...Nolan tried hard and his effort for the cause couldn't be faulted yesterday, and a great cross from Enrique for the first goal ; he is potentially the best crosser of a ball in the club. Smith gives us a great platform by winning the ball at this level, but his timing will ensure that he gets plenty of cards, which we don't need.

Taylor will be missed if he does leave - the thought of Coloccini as main CB is frightening...

At least the club now has 4 points and this gives a bit of breathing space while all the off-field fiascos are sorted out - it will be interesting to see how this team perform at Hillsborough on Wednesday and I will be surprised if Sheff Weds don't get in their faces far more than Reading did.

We're at home, not Hillsborough

Btw when Gutierrez had that one on one chance in the first half :lol:

Who was this Ameobi guy playing for you yesterday? What a beast in the air! Sign him up Arsene!

:lol:

But in all seriousness, very good match from what i've seen, the team look extremely motivated!

Guest Phil K

Dunno if it's been mentioned. We had 3rd best att in England

Citeh, Arsenal, Liverpool, Mackems, Man Utd didn't play at home, still pretty good though

None of those are in the lower leagues or being assett-stripped though are they ?

I think Ranger should have got on for the last 10/15 minutes. No better time to blood a youngster than being 3-0 up at home. The lad will likely have to play some part this season so why waste a perfect opportunity to give him some pressure free minutes on the pitch.

Poor management in my view.

Guest Phil K

Peter Beagry (sp?) "Ameobi will guarantee them at least 15 goals"

:spit:

Whats wrong with that ? He WILL get at least 15 in this div.

Carroll's blatantly got a touch of class if you ask me. Really looking forward to seeing more of him, but he has to want it.

Based on what exactly? I just don't see it myself. Would love to be proved wrong though.

Just as a side note , it would seem Thompson's comments about the kids thinking they've made it already haven't hit home. Lua Lua was far from special, and bar having pace didn't look the prospect that's touted. Carroll needs to up his game as well, one game against West Brom is not the making of him, needs consistent performance and stop flopping like a wet fish, he will not get those free kicks hes 6'ft 3.

Jesus wept. He was on the pitch for about 10 minutes if that.

I think Ranger should have got on for the last 10/15 minutes. No better time to blood a youngster than being 3-0 up at home. The lad will likely have to play some part this season so why waste a perfect opportunity to give him some pressure free minutes on the pitch.

Poor management in my view.

Agreed - should have had a run out.

Just as a side note , it would seem Thompson's comments about the kids thinking they've made it already haven't hit home. Lua Lua was far from special, and bar having pace didn't look the prospect that's touted. Carroll needs to up his game as well, one game against West Brom is not the making of him, needs consistent performance and stop flopping like a wet fish, he will not get those free kicks hes 6'ft 3.

In that 10 mins he did over-dribble and lose the ball twice which was disappointing. I hope he's got a better football brain than that and it was just him settling.

In that 10 mins he did over-dribble and lose the ball twice which was disappointing. I hope he's got a better football brain than that and it was just him settling.

A combination of inexperience and probably trying to make too much of an impression.

Caroll's basically a very poor footballer, in Spain or Italy they'd take one look at him and laugh. In england however he can actually be fairly effective. He'll never ever be the answer though

You mean as in Xisco...!? Carroll has twice the potential Xisco has displayed since he arrived, and is younger -

with the right coaching , esp by the likes of Shearer, he would turn out to be an very good CF.

Caroll's basically a very poor footballer, in Spain or Italy they'd take one look at him and laugh. In england however he can actually be fairly effective. He'll never ever be the answer though

You mean as in Xisco...!? Carroll has twice the potential Xisco has displayed since he arrived, and is younger -

with the right coaching , esp by the likes of Shearer, he would turn out to be an very good CF.

He's also been given more of a chance than Xisco has too. Something missing from Carroll's game for me, not sure what it is but there's just something not there.

We're at home, not Hillsborough

Btw when Gutierrez had that one on one chance in the first half :lol:

Apologies - forgot that we were at home again ; however, my comments re ; Sheff Weds' attitude are still relevant - if we beat them as easily as Reading, then maybe things ARE looking up, but there's a long way to go and we are still in a mess.

He's also been given more of a chance than Xisco has too. Something missing from Carroll's game for me, not sure what it is but there's just something not there.

He doesn't get in enough goal scoring positions, and neither does Ameobi. They both had a field day yesterday against a small Reading side, they'll find it a lot harder against Wednesday.

I think Enrique was the best player on the pitch yesterday. Powerful wing back display. Both defensively and getting forward to create attacking options down the left. He will take some replacing.

He doesn't get in enough goal scoring positions, and neither does Ameobi. They both had a field day yesterday against a small Reading side, they'll find it a lot harder against Wednesday.

What annoys me most with Shola even though he got a hat-trick yesterday is still his lethargic attitude even when it comes to scoring goals. Several times when we had made a move forward and instead of busting a gut to get into the box he would still just toddle up and just be at the edge of the box not being a danger. At least Carroll puts a shift in.

What annoys me most with Shola even though he got a hat-trick yesterday is still his lethargic attitude even when it comes to scoring goals. Several times when we had made a move forward and instead of busting a gut to get into the box he would still just toddle up and just be at the edge of the box not being a danger. At least Carroll puts a shift in.

Aye, but his general play after the first goal yesterday was much better. Actually seemed more mobile: was chasing balls and pressuring defenders. If we can get him regular confidence injections, he might just kick some ass in this division.