Barnes attacks culture of racism that has slammed door on a 'lost generation'

NG32

TBF - theres been very few WANTING top be managers, and that won't help.

I do wonder if that's down to actively (racially motivated) being dissuaded from doing so throughout their career or kind of a passive, culturally ingrained tendency not to seek out such things. 

I think it's a deeper problem with society and the current+last generation.

Black managers have had managerial jobs, and TBH - hardly shone. A brief period of grace for Paul Ince maybe, and Barnes was awful himself.

There may well be a little racism in it, but it would be from the players not the clubs or fans - with their seeming reluctance to perform.

But you're talking about one man here. There should be dozens of black managers. A black David Moyes, a black Chris Coleman, a black Gareth Southgate, a black Aidy Boothroyd, etc.

But they've got to do it given the chance, and so far they haven't.

TBF - theres been very few WANTING top be managers, and that won't help.

Tbh, I have no idea how many black players have ambitions to become managers, and I doubt you know any better. As I said, it's more likely to be a complex issue rather than simple discrimination. To say they've been 'given the chance' is bullshit, tbh: you're talking about two or three black managers who have failed.

Guest Phil K

Tbh, I have no idea how many black players have ambitions to become managers, and I doubt you know any better. As I said, it's more likely to be a complex issue rather than simple discrimination. To say they've been 'given the chance' is bullshit, tbh: you're talking about two or three black managers who have failed.

100% failure rate is STILL 100% failure rate

Not quite actually. Paul Ince did well at first, and Barnes had some good ideas.

With other managers, it always seems it isn't the "stars" that become great managers anyway.

So maybe concentrating on footballers that have done well isn't the way for black managers.

Like everyone else, its a case of getting their foot in the door.

But with clubs under more pressure than ever, they have to be careful.

"Noble experiments" are NOT at the top of the list.

Is it not more a case of black footballers not going on to become managers ? I know a few are now doing coaching like Les Ferdinand but not sure how many are becoming managers. It is possible to be a Premier League manager and be black, Ruud Gillit although incompetent at us won Chelsea's first trophy for twenty odd years when he was manager there, and like has already been said Paul Ince was given a top flight job. The problem isn't the colour of their skin it's their ability as a manager. Paul Ince was given a top job far to early and proved that by his ability at Blackburn.

Ince and Barnes are a complete red herring though because they have been able to use their playing career to open doors. Where is the black David Moyes for example?

Keith Alexander.

100% failure rate is STILL 100% failure rate

Not quite actually. Paul Ince did well at first, and Barnes had some good ideas.

With other managers, it always seems it isn't the "stars" that become great managers anyway.

So maybe concentrating on footballers that have done well isn't the way for black managers.

Like everyone else, its a case of getting their foot in the door.

But with clubs under more pressure than ever, they have to be careful.

"Noble experiments" are NOT at the top of the list.

No idea what point you're trying to make here, tbh. Are you saying black managers must be shit because Paul Ince and John Barnes failed?

Think about the dozens of managers in the football league: what percentage are black? Why is it such a low number? Look past the PL and consider why even at conference level there aren't more black managers. Given the proportion of black players in the game, doesn't it seem strange?

Could it be that black players (normally) are far more athletic n therefore white players need a better knowledge of the game to make up for it, therefore making them better managers? Or is that generalization complete bollocks and racist?

But while his ability on the field of play – he helped Liverpool to their last league title 20 seasons ago – gave Barnes the last word against those who heaped vitriol upon him, a dozen attempts to get jobs in management since Celtic sacked him (after the club's Scottish Cup defeat by Inverness Caledonian Thistle) have failed to elicit a single interview and none of the Premier League clubs he has approached, supported by recommendations from Graham Taylor, Sir Bobby Robson and Terry Venables, have responded to him. White managers would have had been given another chance, Barnes said.

Here is my take. Granted I knew very little about how manager-recruiting works in the football world, so I am probably talking bollocks.

A dozen attempts and failing to elicit a single interview does not sound harsh to me. In non-football life you could easily have applied for 20 jobs and be interviewed only once. Football manager is a highly sought after job. Every Premiership club seems to claim to receive more than 20 world class applications for any managerial vacancy, and John Barnes is no where remotely near world class as a manager.

Premiership clubs tend to recruite high calibre manager, manager with good potential, or coach from within, none of which John Barne is.

There are plenty of other white managers who have much better track records but are toiling in the lower leagues. Danny Wilson springs to my mind.

It is true that black managers are under-represented in the football and I do think that there exist some institutional racism. However I do not think it is true for John Barnes.

John Barnes as a football pundit or presenter does not inspire any confidence from anyone. I highly doubt that anyone who has watched John Barnes presenting on TV would give him a managerial job.

Wenger - came with a pedigree

O'Neill - came with a pedigree

McLeish - came with a pedigree

Allardyce - came with a pedigree

Megson - A bit shit, but his shit CV is better than John Barnes'

Coyle - won promotion with Burnley. Came with a pedigree when appointed

Ancellotti - came with a pedigree

Moyes - came with a pedigree

Hodgson - came with a pedigree

Brown - won promotion with Hull. When appointed was an assitant to a sucessful Allardyce

Benitez - came with a pedigree

Hughes - came with a pedigree

Ferguson - came with a pedigree

Hart - promoted from within

Pulis - history with Stoke

Bruce - came with a pedigree

Redknappe - came with a pedigree

Zole - Italian (DOF is Italian), great player, new and fresh

Martinez - came with a pedigree. History with club.

McCarthy - won promotion with club. When appointed, had proven record in Championship level.

I can't see which club would have appointed Barnes ? West Ham ? Zola was untainted, fresh, Italian and foreign (new ideas, different cultures) - he is a better choice than Barnes.

I do think there are still some underlying institutional racism which unfortunately is almost impossible to eradicate in any field of life, however I do not think that Barnes has been unfairly treated as a managerial candidate.

The fact is, that Barnes hasn't got a PL job because he's done nowt to prove he's worthy of a PL job. Speaking on a purely individual level, he's got nowt to bitch about just because he has to work his way up for lowly Tranmere.

The wider issue of having so few black managers in the game remains, however.

Could it be that black players (normally) are far more athletic n therefore white players need a better knowledge of the game to make up for it, therefore making them better managers? Or is that generalization complete bollocks and racist?

I think this generalisation is completely bollocks and racist. It is easy to focus on Ronaldinho's quick feet but how many of us are intelligent enough to appreciate his intelligent throughball, intelligent passing, intelligent ball placing, intelligent movement, intelligent mind games with defenders ?

Take England national team for example. I don't think anyone would say that black players are under-represented in England national team.

Paul Robinson, Robert Green, Joe Hart

Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, John Terry, Wayne Bridge, Glen Johnson, Matthew Upson, Joleon Lescott, David Beckham, Frank Lampard, Gareth Barry, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Michael Carrick, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young, James Milner

Emile Heskey, Jermain Defoe, Carlton Cole, Wayne Rooney

Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Glen Johnson, Joleon Lescott, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young Emile Heskey, Jermain Defoe, Carlton Cole

With the possibility of Carlton Cole, I don't think anyone can claim to be included because of his atheletic-ness ?

A manager needs to have leadership abilities. Fantastic players, fantastic captains do not necessary make a fantastic manager but vast majority of managers have been captains in their playing careers, or have been an influential player. And ex-captains are always commodities in the managerial market. Leaders tend to be from the majority, although unsubstantiated I would hazard a guess the captain proportionity in tilting towards the "white" players. Naturally there would be less "hot prospect" black managers. Ince was a captain player, and he was reasonably highly sought after. I can't recall John Barnes being captain of any team.

What probably does make it difficult for the black managers at the higher levels is how appointments tend to be made at this level.

Looking at the Premier League managers from this season and last season, you've got:

Long established managers from 20th Century - Ferguson, Keegan, Redknapp, Hodgson, O'Neill, Curbishley

Foreign Contingent - Wenger, Benitez, Ancelotti, Hiddink, Scolari, Ramos

Established Premier League Journeymen - Allardyce, Bruce, McCarthy, Hughes

Spotted in the lower leagues - Moyes, Martinez, Ince

Promoted from lower leagues - Brown, Mowbray, Pulis, Coyle, McLeish

Big name, first job - Shearer, Keane, Southgate, Adams, Zola

Caretaker getting the gig - Sbragia, Hart, Hughton, Kinnear

So basically at least eleven managers were already obvious choices based on their track record. Keane aside, Shearer, Southgate and Adams were obvious newcomer appointments, as were three of the four caretaker ones.

It is the fresh supply of newer managers in the Allardyce, Moyes and Brown groups which is questionable. Ince aside, who probably got the initial opportunity based on his playing career, they are all white.

So the question really is: why aren't black managers getting jobs in the Championship?

Perhaps it has something to do with how these clubs think a manager should be, i.e. a typical British bulldog, captain type, shouter, for this seems to very much be the white stereotype in the lower leagues.

Ok could it maybe be numbers ? yes I know we currently have plenty of black players in the leagues but lets remember we still have many more white footballers. They can't all make it as managers so simple numbers would suggest your going to get alot more white managers than black at the current time. On top of that many of the current black top flight players are also foreign. Whilst they may play football here what's to say they want to manage here ?

Ok could it maybe be numbers ? yes I know we currently have plenty of black players in the leagues but lets remember we still have many more white footballers. They can't all make it as managers so simple numbers would suggest your going to get alot more white managers than black at the current time. On top of that many of the current black top flight players are also foreign. Whilst they may play football here what's to say they want to manage here ?

20% of players in the Football League are black, but only 1% of the coaches are.

Edit: at least that was in the case in 2007: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6376121.stm

• 1 month later...
Guest neesy111

sacked again, another good player that's a shit manager, for me being a good player doesn't make you a good manager

Brazil, one of the most multicultural nations on earth, has not got(or ever had, as far as I know) a black manager - you can bet your life that had a black guy like Pele proved to be a top class manager, they would have appointed him.

Barnes' rant is yet more reverse-racist blackmail. As people have said, Ince had a go and fluffed it ; doesn't mean ALL black players will be bad managers but I don't believe Barnes has a case.

Time all this tripe was treated with the contempt it deserves TBH.

Guest neesy111

this reminds me of the black player rule in cricket in SA, which forced KP to come over to england

in these days, ppl should be judged on ability

Guest toonlass

Chris Hughton is flying the banner for black managers in the championship then. Two manager of the month awards and he is not even a manager.

sacked again, another good player that's a s*** manager, for me being a good player doesn't make you a good manager

That's obvious surely?  The same way being a rubbish player doesn't make you a good manager either.

Good managers are good managers, regardless of how good they were in their playing careers.

Guest neesy111

Did he win it for September as well? I had a feeling they'd give it to Holloway.

yeah he did, hence why we didn't win v bristol city  :pow: