Crystal Palace vs Newcastle United 22/08/09 - pre-match thread

Fatwax

Guest Stephen927

Has Hughton got much of a reason to drop Carroll though?

Hughton will stick with the winning formula as close as he can, with minimum changes if someone leaves.

I fully expect someone to turn around now and say Carroll is injured. :lol:

Has Hughton got much of a reason to drop Carroll though?

Hughton will stick with the winning formula as close as he can, with minimum changes if someone leaves.

I fully expect someone to turn around now and say Carroll is injured. :lol:

Went off with a "slight groin strain" on Wednesday

I don't like the constant references to "Skipper" Nicky Butt :(

Him and Smith in centre midfield makes me want to vomit, if Palace have anyone who can take freekicks they'll have about 5 chances from 25 yards the way these 2 go on.

Carroll 50/50 basically means no, no mention of Steve Taylor though.

In his career Smith has played more games as a striker than Nolan.

Yes, but all through pre-season we played Smith in CM and Nolan as an "attacking midfielder." Because we're away from home, Hughton will jump at the chance to use this system. Smith hasn't been seen as a forward of any kind for a long long time.

In his career Smith has played more games as a striker than Nolan.

I have a feeling as soon as Smith reverts to a striker he's going to look useless again. Defensive midfield is the only position you can put someone who doesn't create or score goals.

Maybe he'll be a bit better cos we're in a rubbish league?  :undecided: Smith seems to have improved and Ameobi certainly has.

And Butt always played well last season when he'd had a bit of time off.

He's certainly had that before this.

I would mind starting Butt every third game or so.

Nicky Butt sitting as a holding midfielder will be fine in the CCC, unfortunately we don't need him sitting in alongside Smith as they'll pretty much do the same job.  Its got to be one or the other.

Nicky Butt sitting as a holding midfielder will be fine in the CCC, unfortunately we don't need him sitting in alongside Smith as they'll pretty much do the same job.  Its got to be one or the other.

Aye, but with Hughton it will be both.

Aye, but with Hughton it will be both.

true although i wouldn't mind that much away from home but definately not in a home game.  The way we are selling defenders we may well see either Butt or Smith playing at centre half in a couple of games time!