The end of diving? No.

Guest icemanblue

Gut reaction is that they should let the referee make decisions like this. They'll get most right but they'll get a few wrong from time to time.

I can understand why people want divers to be punished retrospectively but I like the idea of the ref being in charge and making an instant decision, even if it's the wrong one from time to time. Keeps it interesting.  

I'm all for the current on-field reffing situation--the idea of the TV Umpire thing is ridiuclous, imo--but I have no problem with cards, fines, bans, etc. being handed out 'after the fact'. I really hope this isn't just a one-off.

That's my worry - dozens of decisions being disputed 3 days after the game by a loads of blokes in a dark room in Switzerland.

The ref's in charge of the game and he makes the decisions on the spot. He's going to get some wrong from time to time and fans need to understand that. Rough with the smooth and it'll all equal out in the end.

Get on with it and play the game. :)

Gut reaction is that they should let the referee make decisions like this. They'll get most right but they'll get a few wrong from time to time.

I can understand why people want divers to be punished retrospectively but I like the idea of the ref being in charge and making an instant decision, even if it's the wrong one from time to time. Keeps it interesting.  

I'm all for the current on-field reffing situation--the idea of the TV Umpire thing is ridiuclous, imo--but I have no problem with cards, fines, bans, etc. being handed out 'after the fact'. I really hope this isn't just a one-off.

That's my worry - dozens of decisions being disputed 3 days after the game by a loads of blokes in a dark room in Switzerland.

The ref's in charge of the game and he makes the decisions on the spot. He's going to get some wrong from time to time and fans need to understand that. Rough with the smooth and it'll all equal out in the end.

Get on with it and play the game. :)

What about video-evidence bans like Ben Thatcher's? I think if there's a clear case of misbehaviour, it's in the sport's interests to punish those who've transgressed. The decisions wouldn't affect a game's outcome: only help reduce players taking the piss, basically.

Guest Mantis

I know uefa and fifa are 2 different entities but fifa dont want goal line technology because it cant be implemented at all levels of football but uefa are happy with this situation, which wont be covered at levels of the game where cameras aren't present.  The decision is ridiculous, are they saying this is the first dive to go unpunished in a uefa competition ever?  Floodgates now.

I know uefa and fifa are 2 different entities but fifa dont want goal line technology because it cant be implemented at all levels of football but uefa are happy with this situation, which wont be covered at levels of the game where cameras aren't present.  The decision is ridiculous, are they saying this is the first dive to go unpunished in a uefa competition ever?  Floodgates now.

Has Blatter had anything to say on this, yet?

I'm a big supporter of FIFA's aim to keep the game the same at all levels, but the truth is that letting these incidents go unpunished is hurting the game at all levels, even down to school football.

Diving is awful. However there are legitimate cases where a player goes down after a lawful tackle. It's easy to lose your balance if there's contact, hence I don't see a clear way to persecute this. Of course if you make a big deal of it to get a penalty awarded you lose legitimacy.

However, I am a bit uneasy regarding after-the-fact refereeing. Where do you draw the line? UEFA is now admitting that Eduardo's penalty should have not been awarded. What if that penalty won the tie for Arsenal? Should the result be changed? Isn't it a moral hazard to admit the result was not lawful but allowing it to stand?

As well as suspensions to divers, another thing that what help in a big way is if an attacker is impeded in the box and stays on his feet, a penalty should be given. You see plenty of occasions where a commentator will say, "If he'd gone down he might have won a penalty". Perhaps if referees started to award these more often, the attacker wouldn't feel inclined to go down and make a meal out of things.

looks like this ruling will spell the end of some players careers (Drogba, C.Ronaldo)

And the biggest diver of the lot, Gerrard. Ashley young will be pretty fucked too.

Eduardo given a two game ban.

I haven't seen this incident, so can only really comment as a concept, but I'm pleased. Players should be banned for cheating. I know it will be impossible to apply this to everyone and therefore will lack consistency, but so fuck. Saying "that's not fair, he got away with it" is fuck all defence. Every fan and manager in the country thinks the FA and referees single out their team for the worst punishment anyway so it won't make any difference on that level.

Wayne fucking Rooney on SSN saying players have an obligation to be honest to the referee and opponent regarding diving!

Can he not remember diving to win a penalty against Arsenal that broke our unbeaten record. I will never forget that the ugly shrek looking moron.

Wayne f***ing Rooney on SSN saying players have an obligation to be honest to the referee and opponent regarding diving!

Can he not remember diving to win a penalty against Arsenal that broke our unbeaten record. I will never forget that the ugly shrek looking moron.

i know what a nerve! i still feel he dived last week, even though people will disagree he booted the ball out of play then dived into aluminas hands, he was already fully into the diving motion before almunia got anywhere near him just watch the slow motion replay of it.  even tho his hands actually touched rooney i still think this can be seen as cheating just as much as eduardo and rooney has previous like you said so for him to come out and tell people not to dive he needs to start with himself the cheating c*nt

I'm almost tempted to say get rid of the penalty completely, except it would lead to mad fouling to prevent goals!

Maybe no automatic penalty but only if the foul denies a goalscoring opportunity. So stop players kicking the ball miles away from themselves and diving.

I'm almost tempted to say get rid of the penalty completely, except it would lead to mad fouling to prevent goals!

Maybe no automatic penalty but only if the foul denies a goalscoring opportunity. So stop players kicking the ball miles away from themselves and diving.

This is a terrible idea. The rules of footgball are perfect and fine. The enforcement of these rules by incompetent officials is the problem.

Wayne f***ing Rooney on SSN saying players have an obligation to be honest to the referee and opponent regarding diving!

i know what a nerve! i still feel he dived last week, even though people will disagree he booted the ball out of play then dived into aluminas hands, he was already fully into the diving motion before almunia got anywhere near him just watch the slow motion replay of it.  even tho his hands actually touched rooney i still think this can be seen as cheating just as much as eduardo and rooney has previous like you said so for him to come out and tell people not to dive he needs to start with himself the cheating c*nt

English players don't cheat, only us dirty latins.

I don't think it would be an issue if officials consistently reviewed situations post match as they have with Eduardo and there was a consistent punishment, but as they have said there won't be it's just moronic isnt it!

I don't think it would be an issue if officials consistently reviewed situations post match as they have with Eduardo and there was a consistent punishment, but as they have said there won't be it's just moronic isnt it!

Disappointing that they're not going to look at it going forward, but I'm still pleased Eduardo got banned. I'd rather one person got punished for it than no-one.

Guest Roger Kint

Disappointing that they're not going to look at it going forward, but I'm still pleased Eduardo got banned. I'd rather one person got punished for it than no-one.

Still 2 game ban for a yellow card offence is quite harsh considering its highly unlikely its consistently punished

This is a terrible idea. The rules of footgball are perfect and fine. The enforcement of these rules by incompetent officials is the problem.

Fair point, I realised it was a bit leftfield!

Referees do have a difficult time though, I suppose they could rectify it by only giving penalties if they were 100% sure they had seen a  foul... but they would need to be backed up by their bosses and assessors.

I have a feeling that as soon as managers started whinging that they weren't getting penalties they would end up losing matches and getting dropped from the Premier League list.

What I don't understand is why everyone is so slow and reluctant to act on divers? And managers, WTF is Wenger doing appealing against Eduardo's ban?

It doesn't benefit anyone - even teams that win the occasional penalty will have a number of unjust ones given against them for the same reason, surely?

Still 2 game ban for a yellow card offence is quite harsh considering its highly unlikely its consistently punished

Yeah, probably. Still, he shouldn't have cheated. I'm more in favour of cheats getting punished than I am upset with the inconsistency.

Guest Roger Kint

Yeah, probably. Still, he shouldn't have cheated. I'm more in favour of cheats getting punished than I am upset with the inconsistency.

I agree there should be punishment, just hoping someone else gets done to shut Wenger and the like up about poor us always targetted ;D

Fair point, I realised it was a bit leftfield!

Referees do have a difficult time though, I suppose they could rectify it by only giving penalties if they were 100% sure they had seen a  foul... but they would need to be backed up by their bosses and assessors.

I have a feeling that as soon as managers started whinging that they weren't getting penalties they would end up losing matches and getting dropped from the Premier League list.

What I don't understand is why everyone is so slow and reluctant to act on divers? And managers, WTF is Wenger doing appealing against Eduardo's ban?

It doesn't benefit anyone - even teams that win the occasional penalty will have a number of unjust ones given against them for the same reason, surely?

What he's doing is protecting his player from this ridiculous situation that has been created solely by the SFA's reaction (an insignificant association in the large scale of football tbh) and a weak UEFA. He would rather one of his better players be available for him to use. If everyone was going around commiting murder, getting caught and getting cautioned (yellow carded), then I was caught and given twenty years, I'd be slightly aggrieved. It really is unfair.

Don't agree with that at all babatunde, maybe it is slightly out of proportion with other punishments, but maybe it is the start of a (well overdue) backlash against cheating.

Managers and clubs need to start stopping their own players from diving, and punishing them when they do so. That would be a major step forward.

You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. ???