La Liga 09/10

Mr. Snrub

How come Sporting Gijon have such a good following. 8,000 away fans at the Deportivo game.

Gijón has some of the best away following in the league, and the trip from Gijón to La Coruña is a quick one. Also, there are usually big Asturian communities in the other Spanish capitals, due to the migrations when the coal mines collapsed. I was at the Barcelona - Gijón game this year and after talking to some of the away support (which were great fellows all of them), you would see that a lot of them actually lived in Barcelona.

This can be pretty big or fall flat on its face. The Spanish government is trying again (after failing to get enough votes this summer) to take down the "Beckham act" and bring back the income tax of foreign footballers from 24% to 43%

The LFP (Liga Fútbol Profesional, the analogous organization to your Fotball League) has already said it will do anything in its hand to stop it from happening.

Mandià sacked from Racing, who knows, this could give Xisco more playing time (he's still yours afterall, and it would be good if he retained some resale value).

Navas called up for Spain, after he said he's overcome his homesickness problems and made himself available.

This can be pretty big or fall flat on its face. The Spanish government is trying again (after failing to get enough votes this summer) to take down the "Beckham act" and bring back the income tax of foreign footballers from 24% to 43%

The LFP (Liga Fútbol Profesional, the analogous organization to your Fotball League) has already said it will do anything in its hand to stop it from happening.

Is that tax rate only applied to footballers? Would big earners elsewhere (or even Spanish footballers) pay 43%?

Spanish footballers already pay 43%. The law applies to any foreigner that moves to Spain and earns above 600,000€/year. It was enacted to entice foreign elite workers to migrate to Spain, like CEOs, financiers, researchers, etc... and we ended up with Beckham and Cronaldo.

Spanish footballers already pay 43%. The law applies to any foreigner that moves to Spain and earns above 600,000/year. It was enacted to entice foreign elite workers to migrate to Spain, like CEOs, financiers, researchers, etc... and we ended up with Beckham and Cronaldo.

Sounds a bit shit.

The derogation of the law won't be retroactive by the way, which means that players currently benefiting from it will still pay 24% tax for 5 years since the signature of their contracts. So Cronaldo and Messi won't be signing for ManCity yet (although I'm not sure Messi even benefits from the law, since he's been here for so long).

Guest Heneage

The derogation of the law won't be retroactive by the way, which means that players currently benefiting from it will still pay 24% tax for 5 years since the signature of their contracts. So Cronaldo and Messi won't be signing for ManCity yet (although I'm not sure Messi even benefits from the law, since he's been here for so long).

I was going to ask about Messi, I assume he holds Spanish citizenship, does that mean he has to pay it ?

I was going to ask about Messi, I assume he holds Spanish citizenship, does that mean he has to pay it ?

I looked around, and technically the law doesn't apply if you were a resident in Spain before it was enacted. That leaves out Alves, Messi, Eto'o (when he was with us), and any other foreigner that played in Spain before 2003 (can't think of any other big La Liga stars though)... I don't know if there's a loophole they might be exploiting, however.

So you don't say I only talk dirt about Real...  :razz:

Board member Joan Franquesa has quit Barça after Laporta demoted him in his latest boardroom restructuration. Franquesa was one of the victims of the spying scandal this summer, when vice-prez Joan Oliver hired a detective agency to collect dirt on other board members (believed to dissent from Laporta).

The club is currently a shambles at board room level, with Laporta more bothered about starting a political career than actually runing the club, can't wait for the elections (fingers crossed we don't get an idiot)

Guest Heneage

So you don't say I only talk dirt about Real...  :razz:

Board member Joan Franquesa has quit Barça after Laporta demoted him in his latest boardroom restructuration. Franquesa was one of the victims of the spying scandal this summer, when vice-prez Joan Oliver hired a detective agency to collect dirt on other board members (believed to dissent from Laporta).

The club is currently a shambles at board room level, with Laporta more bothered about starting a political career than actually runing the club, can't wait for the elections (fingers crossed we don't get an idiot)

I saw a documentary on Laporta and Barca, he truly is a fascinating man, plus he had dinner with Quaresma.  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

La Liga has threatened with a stoppage in the weekend of December 13th if the Spanish Government doesn't approve some of its demands for the new TV law. Mostly, they want:

- That the current mandatory free Liga game every week is removed, so everything can eventually be moved to more lucrative paid solutions

- That televisions that don't purchase the rights to do so, are banned from showing clips from games until the end of the gameweek (currently media outlets are allowed 3 minutes of free clips from every game, for informative purposes)

- That radios have to pay for broadcasting La Liga games (that's an insane dick move, small local and regional stations can't afford to do that, and it's still the preferred way for most Spaniards to follow games that aren't broadcast free).

Greedy twats the lot of them, screwing the people that put football and their clubs in the place they are in our society. No sympathy from me.

Spain isn't England, people don't have the same disposable income and stuff like PPV and Satellite/Cable don't have the same expansion, this would black out a lot of people from being able to follow the league.

Guest neesy111

Sky have the first half on the red button, the fucking cunts.

God forbid anyone miss 'The Last Word'.

Anyone who watches that show is a cunt.

bollocks i've only got a skyplayer account, fucking cunts