Realistic Transfer Targets January 2010

Howaythelads

Beckford's a decent lad. The only reason i wouldn't go for him is because he isn't true premiership quality. He'd get perhaps 10 goals a season in the prem but wouldn't pose a conistent attacking threat.

He wouldn't get 10 Premier League goals.

I said 'perhaps' and how would you know?

That's ironic, coming from the master of 'matter of fact' statements. :laugh:

Beckford's a decent lad. The only reason i wouldn't go for him is because he isn't true premiership quality. He'd get perhaps 10 goals a season in the prem but wouldn't pose a conistent attacking threat.

He wouldn't get 10 Premier League goals.

I said 'perhaps' and how would you know?

That's ironic, coming from the master of 'matter of fact' statements. :laugh:

Bit delayed.

I don't rate Beckford at all above League 1 level.

Based on what?

Based on the 5/6 games I've seen him play in.

Okay, relatively limited viewing and he does have a good goal record. However, every time I've seen him his touch has been terrible and his overall technique nothing special. He relies on his pace too much when his actual positioning and reading of the game is not that good. Couple into that a bad attitude and you've got a pretty risky transfer.

I'll backtrack on what I said slightly, he'd probably be decent in the Championship. However not really worth the transfer fee that would be needed to sign him, especially when we're aiming to be a Premiership team again next year.

His positioning is brilliant. He's the type that scores a lot of half chances, which a striker will get at any level.

Relies on pace? My word man, that's not the case at all. 90% of his goals are nowt to do with pace.

Like I said, from what I've seen of him his reading of the game is poor and pace appeared to be his major attribute. I don't think he looks like he has the intelligence or technique to make a fist of it at a higher level, and certainly not worthy of a £1-2 Million transfer fee. Maybe he does have the knack of 'being in the right place at the right time', however I don't think that skill translates at all levels as easy as you say it does.

He's 25 and I doubt he's gonna improve very much from where he is now, likewise I don't think we have the setup here to iron out the problems in his game. It would be a hugely risky signing all round.

Not worth of £1-2M? Now you're just having a laugh. Our top scoring striker has 4 league goals man.

Yeah because we have an abbundance of cash available to gamble on a player who's played his entire career in Non-league and League 1.  I'd rather we spent that money on decent wingers/ creative midfielders so we fill major gaps in our squad and try to get the best out of the strikers we have than take a major gamble on Beckford.

Isn't Beckfords contract running out next summer? surely cant be THAT expensive then.. :)

No way Leeds would sell him for any less than that atm, there's no reason to let him go on the cheap when it could scupper their promotion chances.

Not worth of £1-2M? Now you're just having a laugh. Our top scoring striker has 4 league goals man.

Why is this such a bad thing?  Carroll and Ranger are able to bring other players into the game.  Who cares if Carroll never scores over ten if he's setting up Nolan, Guthrie etc.?

You seem to think Beckford will score ten goals in the PL? A league he's never played in (hasn't even played Championship has he?), and yet you don't think Carroll is good enough for the PL, despite the fact that he has played and scored in the PL?

Must you turn everything into an Andy Carroll debate? Seriously man just stop it.

I was merely pointing out that Beckford would be a bargain at £1m given his ridiculously good goalscoring record and the fact i've been impressed with him in all but one or two of the twenty something games i've seen him play.

If you can't see why a league 1 striker who got over 30 goals last season might be useful in a championhship team crying out for a goalscorer then there's nowt more I can say.

So who the hell should I be comparing Beckford with?  Does Carroll not play for us anymore?  Why wouldn't I bring him up?  :lol:

I don't know why I bother replying to be honest, everyone on here knows you're crackers, you'd probably have Beckford on the plane to SA ahead of Owen.

I didn't even say we should defintely buy Beckford in Jan to be honest, if we get promoted he'll be surplus. But for someone to suggest that he isn't worth £1-2m is insane tbh, which was what I was arguing with.

And then you go and mention Owen again. Another one of your overhyped strikers, pathetic.

Owen was a joke.  :lol:  And of course he's better than Beckford, even if he is overrated, you can't even bring yourself to admit this this though.

I didn't even bring up Carroll in the first place.  You said: "Our top scoring striker has 4 league goals man."  And I explained why this isn't a very good argument.  Who else were you alluding to?  Bent has scored more goals then Rooney this season but I can't see Ferguson wanting to swap them.  Football is a lot more complicated than comparing scoring records.

Oh no I've mentioned some more names when comparing players.  Rooney another one of my players I bang on about...

It's all a bit rich from someone who slags of Owen at every single oppurtunity and bangs on about Beckford as if he's the second coming.  No doubt you've missed the irony though.

Guest geordienorway

Must you turn everything into an Andy Carroll debate? Seriously man just stop it.

I was merely pointing out that Beckford would be a bargain at £1m given his ridiculously good goalscoring record and the fact i've been impressed with him in all but one or two of the twenty something games i've seen him play.

If you can't see why a league 1 striker who got over 30 goals last season might be useful in a championhship team crying out for a goalscorer then there's nowt more I can say.

Beckford would be a bargain at £1m because you've been impressed with him? Stop stating your opinions as facts man. He is a league 1 player with six months left on his contract.

Bangs on about Beckford?

To be honest, if can't get him in January I wouldn't bother at all, definetly not a premiership player.

Yeah, right. Take your mouth off Owen's cock and your fingers out of Carroll's areshole and perhaps you'll get a better sense of my opinions.

Beckford would be a bargain at £1m because you've been impressed with him? Stop stating your opinions as facts man. He is a league 1 player with six months left on his contract.

There's the side issue of the 35 goals he got last season in a team that wasn't promoted. Stop pretending you've even heard of him.

Beckford's movement (ie, the mix of pace and reading the game) is easily premiership quality imo, absolute class and likely to be the best in the championship. however his touch is terrible and his finishing is pretty poor too. i think he'd easily score goals at this level, but probably no higher. considering he's almost 26 i cant see him improving his weaknesses and he'll graduallyget slower too. on a long term basis its a signing which makes no sense, but looking at bringing him in mainly for a promotion push would make sense.

Bangs on about Beckford?

To be honest, if can't get him in January I wouldn't bother at all, definetly not a premiership player.

Yeah, right. Take your mouth off Owen's cock and your fingers out of Carroll's areshole and perhaps you'll get a better sense of my opinions.

:lol:  Just when we all thought your posts couldn't get any worse.  :lol:  The way you go on man, you'd think you were an ex-pro, current manager as well being head of the british army.

What's with the hard man act?  Trying to compensate for something in your life?

Guest geordienorway

There's the side issue of the 35 goals he got last season in a team that wasn't promoted. Stop pretending you've even heard of him.

:mackems:

The point isn't whether or not Beckford would be a bargain for us, but it's the point that you are stating it as a fact. I think you are one of the better posters on here, but your way of expressing your opinions as facts are unneccesary imo.

:mackems:

The point isn't whether or not Beckford would be a bargain for us, but it's the point that you are stating it as a fact. I think you are one of the better posters on here, but your way of expressing your opinions as facts are unneccesary imo.

It is a fact that i've been impressed with Beckford, as it's also a fact that he scored 30+ last season. Beyond that i wasn't trying to convey anything as factual.  :thup:

Every year there seems to be one of those 20+ goals a season striker in the Football League that completely falls flat when doing the stepup. Ebanks-Blake, Marlon King, Dave Kitson, your boy Chopra... even the fact that Ameobi seemed to score for fun until his injury should tell you something. I have seen Bedford play exactly twice, so I can't really comment much on him, but his goalscoring record doesn't really mean that much on that level.