Paddy Kenny gets 9 month ban

Guest Stephen927

He took some medicine containing a 'non performance enhancing' drug, which relieved chest problems, which was prescribed (presumably by his doctor).

I don't see how this is his fault tbh, my doctor gives me pills for a tight chest, I take them. Not really any questions asked tbh.

He took some medicine containing a 'non performance enhancing' drug, which relieved chest problems, which was prescribed (presumably by his doctor).

I don't see how this is his fault tbh, my doctor gives me pills for a tight chest, I take them. Not really any questions asked tbh.

I haven't read the details, but I think it's more likely it was over-the-counter without prescription.

Aye, the difference being that he's a professional footballer subject to drug tests.

I haven't read the details, but I think it's more likely it was over-the-counter without prescription.

Over the counter chest relief? Unless it means chesty coughs then I don't really know. And if it was something mild like a cough or a sore throat, would you really think the footballing powers that be would ban something that's in lemsip?

Okay, it's stupid, but seeing as they've accepted it was accidental, I can't see how 9 months is at all appropriate.

I agree that a breach of the rules should be based on whether or not the substance would effect performance anyway, if it's just for a cold then surely no harm done?

All I can think is that it is impossible to detect the difference, or the level of dosage (or something like that). Otherwise it would be fairly easy to detect cheats as opposed to people with a cough, no?

They have recognised he didn't buy the drugs to enhance his performance, yet he gets a harsher punishment than Rio Ferdinand who missed a drugs test, which to me suggests Rio had something to hide.

The punishment for missing a drugs test MUST be harsher than failing a test

Otherwise you can get smacked out of your tits on whatever you choose then simply not turn up for a test and get a smaller ban than if you actually turn up and fail the test

Therefore Rio didn't have anything to hide

Common sense really

Not at all. Would Rio want to be known as a drug taker, and probably rule himself out of ever playing for Man United and England again.

There are certain facts about Rio which can't be put on the message board, which involve another player who used to play for Boro.

Guest toonlass

Could have been just about any decongestant. Still stupid not to check with the docs at the club. Am pretty sure that the players would have it drummed into them to check before taking any tablets at all.

If I was Kenny I would of went out with my mates in my hometown of Halifax where I had my eyebrow bitten off on one occasion & boshed a few eppy's with me marrows who are all dole wallers. Of course Kenny is pro football so he would not do that.

one question, how does a goalkeeper really benefit from performance enhancing drugs?

If you were a fat keeper who likes boozing & were in your 30's do you not think guzzling a few appetite suppressants such as ephedrine worth taking & lets also say you were in the last year of your contract.

Guest Stephen927

If I was Kenny I would of went out with my mates in my hometown of Halifax where I had my eyebrow bitten off on one occasion & boshed a few eppy's with me marrows who are all dole wallers. Of course Kenny is pro football so he would not do that.

:lol: :lol:

I think you said too much.

:lol: :lol:

I think you said too much.

What bit? The bit where I say "Kenny is pro football so he would not do that." :pow:

from wiki    "Ephedrine, as a component of over-the-counter cold medications, enjoyed a strong underground reputation as a stimulant among athletes in many sports. National Hockey League (NHL) and College players have been reputed to be among the most persistent ephedrine users, who consume the substance in the form of Sudafed, an over-the-counter cold medication. Hockey players are on the ice in shifts lasting no more than 60 seconds at a time, and the players have found that the ephedrine seems to provide an edge in their performance."

I think that the gist of the hockey players was that by using the stimulant, the speeded up effect of the brain made the actual game seem slower and easier to make plays.

Seems like this is a legal substance (with standard doses) but can be taken in larger doses which fall foul of doping rules.