What would your England world cup squad be right now?

Guest kingdawson

One of the things I was thinking last night was that, actually, Lennon gives Johnson really good 'protection'.

Might sound strange, but if Johnson doesn't like the opposition coming at him then stick Lennon in front and immediately all they can think about is defending.

I agree Joe Cole is technically a better player, but the shirt is Lennon's to lose now IMO... Capello seems to think like that as well.

I think that's exactly what he did, attack as the best form of defence.

I would say this, as a Spud, but there are parallels between the way Spurs have been set up and England. Lennon keeps the oppo occupied on their wide left, which means Gerrard/Modric have a lot of freedom but that in turn puts pressure on the other full-back (Assou-Ekotto or Cole).

Even Lennon having funny flapping running, clearly he is offer threat more than joe cole fantastic skills. Lennon pace can make opposition defend deep, which obviously helping his team mates to move forwards. This particularly can help Lampard & Gerrard more in attacking position.

Even Lennon having funny flapping running, clearly he is offer threat more than joe cole fantastic skills. Lennon pace can make opposition defend deep, which obviously helping his team mates to move forwards. This particularly can help Lampard & Gerrard more in attacking position.

This is a good point. Joe Cole is clearly the better all round player, but Lennon or SWP add pace to a midfield which otherwise is a bit lacking. Cole is more likely to be the understudy to Gerrard.

GK - Green, Foster, James (through gritted teeth)

DEF - Johnson, Ferdinand, Terry, Upson, Richards, Lescott, Cole, Bridge

MID - Lennon, Barry, Lampard, Carrick, Gerrard, J Cole, Young, Walcott

FWD - Rooney, Defoe, Agbonlahor, Heskey/Crouch - whoever has the best season

Guest Roger Kint

GK - Green, Foster, James (through gritted teeth)

DEF - Johnson, Ferdinand, Terry, Upson, Richards, Lescott, Cole, Bridge

MID - Lennon, Barry, Lampard, Carrick, Gerrard, J Cole, Young, Walcott

FWD - Rooney, Defoe, Agbonlahor, Heskey/Crouch - whoever has the best season

This is pretty much mine although i would only pencil in Carrick as theres always room for one more who plays well towards the end of the season. Possibly Hargreaves by then.