U-20 World Cup

Village Idiot

Nigeria advances to the second round! Love this tournament and it's bizarre 24 team system. Brings back memories of the '94 World Cup.

England is awful at all non-European age grade tourneys. Not surprising they lose to countries who put overage players in.

That's a tired cliche mate.

Honestly, enough of you.

Nigeria get Germany in the round of 16. Should be interesting to see how we do.

Seen the Uruguay v Ghana game, and a couple of others.

I haven't been paying too much attention to it.

It doesn't seem like anyone is caring this much time around. I remember it being massive in 2005. why did they move it from the summer? Masterstroke from FIFA.

Guest Heneage

VI do international teams have the final say on if a player is released? I was amazed to see Asenjo playing against Italy yesterday when At Madrid have such keeper problems.

Yeah, it has been quite stupid and they have quite the right to be angry at the federation. They even wanted their 3rd choice keeper! (who ended up starting for Atlético last week due to their problems).

Thing is, FIFA shouldn't be having a million different youth cups, and all should be played outside the regular season.

Nigeria go out 3-2 to Germany. Absolutely unbelievable that we managed to lose after being 2-1 up against ten men. I've yet to see the match, but a few of my compatriots have told me that the performance was very encouraging, and that really is my main concern.

edit: The keeping for the frist German goal is ridiculously awful :lol:

As were the tactics at the end. I understand that we had a man advantage and were pushing for the winning goal, but the entire team was in the opposition's half, and Germany won the ball and went on a ludicrously simple one man counter attack to score the winner. I love what Samson Siasia has done a as a player and coach, but I have to question what was happening there. :lol:

Guest Heneage

Nigeria go out 3-2 to Germany. Absolutely unbelievable that we managed to lose after being 2-1 up against ten men. I've yet to see the match, but a few of my compatriots have told me that the performance was very encouraging, and that really is my main concern.

As were the tactics at the end. I understand that we had a man advantage and were pushing for the winning goal, but the entire team was in the opposition's half, and Germany won the ball and went on a ludicrously simple one man counter attack to score the winner. I love what Samson Siasia has done a as a player and coach, but I have to question what was happening there. :lol:

I caught first bit of the second half at 2-1 up and you were bossing them.

That's one thing I've noticed babatunde. In general the standard of African goalkeepers seems to be pretty woeful. Is there any particular reason for this?

That's one thing I've noticed babatunde. In general the standard of African goalkeepers seems to be pretty woeful. Is there any particular reason for this?

Being a good goalkeeper requires training. Nigeria has produced some great shotstoppers, but few complete keepers. The standard of coaching in Africa is poor. For some reason, it seems alot more difficult to catch up in terms of position, technique,etc. for keepers. Also, if you figure that the average African grows up in "street football" culture, than there is not a heavy desire or need for keepers.

I caught first bit of the second half at 2-1 up and you were bossing them.

yep was men against boys stuff out there.  :angel:

Guest Stephen927

I'm watching Brazil v Germany now, don't think its live like.

I bet the Brazilian team have a fair few quality players on FM09.

Guest Stephen927

That mistake and Bender and Zielers little exchange of words, so many jokes are flying through my head everytime Bender gets the ball.

Ghana vs. Hungary 15.30...Anyone here who has watched Ghana earlier in the World Cup? Their topscorer, Dominic Adiyiah, plays for Fredrikstad, my local team, and he's also a friend of mine.  Hope he shows enough to impress some bigger clubs!

Guest Stephen927

Ghana vs. Hungary 15.30...Anyone here who has watched Ghana earlier in the World Cup? Their topscorer, Dominic Adiyiah, plays for Fredrikstad, my local team, and he's also a friend of mine.  Hope he shows enough to impress some bigger clubs!

He's just been on Eurosport there, the tournaments top scorer they were saying with 6 goals.

feel a bit sorry for Tamas kadar,  NUFC stopped him going saying we were too short on numbers and he was needed here but he must be gutted seeing as in one of the few games we have played while this tournament has been going on he doesn't get to play for us when Jose gets injured and they play a right back instead of him.