Scunthorpe vs Newcastle United - Pre-Match thread - 20/10/09, 7:45 KO

Ash

Guest palnese

Harper

Simpson   Colo  Khiz  Enrique

R.Taylor   Guthrie  Smith  Jonas

Carroll   

The last thing I would do is drop Carroll and bring in Jonas.

fyp

Harper

Carroll   

fyp

Funny how alot are doing this, and they'll probably be the same people shouting and abusing Jonas when he fucks up on Tuesday.

Harper

Carroll   

fyp

Funny how alot are doing this, and they'll probably be the same people shouting and abusing Jonas when he f***s up on Tuesday.

He made two crap shots but this was during a game when I don't think the whole team got a shot on target? (can't remember one anyway).

We played better when he came on IMO and he even put one or two decent balls into the box as well as pushing the team forward.  Even if he is '****' he's still a better winger than Lovenkrands.

I would play

Harper

Simpson Taylor Colo (if fit, if not Zurab) Enrique

Taylor  Smith   Jonas   Lovenkrands

Nolan

Harewood

I really want to see Jonas in the centre, he has pace and will push forwards running directly at their CB's, Nolan will be able to make better runs because of this.  Drop Carroll as I think if we do struggle, Harewood has that little more experience to offer then Carroll, though argueably both are quite as bad as one another.  Ranger needs to score before we start starting him in away games.

Harper

Carroll   

fyp

Funny how alot are doing this, and they'll probably be the same people shouting and abusing Jonas when he f***s up on Tuesday.

He made two crap shots but this was during a game when I don't think the whole team got a shot on target? (can't remember one anyway).

We played better when he came on IMO and he even put one or two decent balls into the box as well as pushing the team forward.  Even if he is '****' he's still a better winger than Lovenkrands.

10 seconds to go. Instead of lobbing the ball into the box, he tried stupidly to go round his man and lost the ball. When he should have passed, he made two ridiculous shots which skied into the stands.

The last thing we need now is complication. To get out of this league, we need to play simple, straightforward football. Something that he's clearly incapable of doing.

Harper

Carroll   

fyp

10 seconds to go. Instead of lobbing the ball into the box, he tried stupidly to go round his man and lost the ball. When he should have passed, he made two ridiculous shots which skied into the stands.

The last thing we need now is complication. To get out of this league, we need to play simple, straightforward football. Something that he's clearly incapable of doing.

Lovenkrands is incapable of playing any ball as well, as I said you've got to pick the lesser of two evils and that is Jonas.

Harper

Carroll   

fyp

Lovenkrands is incapable of playing any ball as well, as I said you've got to pick the lesser of two evils and that is Jonas.

I reckon that Jonas can have a negative effect on play (notably giving the ball away, running into stupid situations, blowing decent chances) while so far Lovenkrands has had a neutral effect (neither positive nor negative) He's the lesser IMO.

Harper

Carroll   

fyp

To get out of this league, we need to play simple, straightforward football.

Like the long-ball tactics we played in the first half?

If it's a toss up between Gutierez and Lovenkrands on the left I'd take Gutierez every day of the week. He is a very average winger, but Lovenkrands is way below average in the same position... It's not always about shot-quality or cross-quality, sometimes all that matters is having a player who is willing to run at his full back, because it prevents said full back from pushing on too much, and can also peg back their right winger if he's forced to help out (especially with Enrique overlapping).

We played our best football this season at the beginning of the campaign with Gutierez and Enrique down the left flank.

Lovenkrands looks to me that he really doesn't give a shit - being played either upfront or on the wing. He actually looked better (both on the wing and upfront) last season in a far better standard of league. Maybe it's complacency?

No actually, far from it. I mean passing it along the floor and crossing it into the box, rather than fancy flicks and run ons, and lobbing it up to the strikers and hoping a midfielder suddenly finds a burst of pace.

We played our best football this season at the beginning of the campaign with Gutierez and Enrique down the left flank.

We played our best football because we were doing what I just said above. The Reading game in particular shows where are strengths were, yet we haven't reproduced a similar performance since. And in that game, Jonas still managed to fuck up a chance.

No actually, far from it. I mean passing it along the floor and crossing it into the box, rather than fancy flicks and run ons, and lobbing it up to the strikers and hoping a midfielder suddenly finds a burst of pace.

We played our best football because we were doing what I just said above. The Reading game in particular shows where are strengths were, yet we haven't reproduced a similar performance since. And in that game, Jonas still managed to f*** up a chance.

We won the game because Enrique and Jonas played well though, they contributed to the result.  I'm happy with Jonas playing well, us winning 3-0 and him skying a shot every so often.  It beats watching Lovenkrands look like an amateur most games.

We played our best football because we were doing what I just said above. The Reading game in particular shows where are strengths were, yet we haven't reproduced a similar performance since. And in that game, Jonas still managed to f*** up a chance.

We won the game because Enrique and Jonas played well though, they contributed to the result.  I'm happy with Jonas playing well, us winning 3-0 and him skying a shot every so often.  It beats watching Lovenkrands look like an amateur most games.

Don't get me wrong, so am I. But it's when those chances are the difference between 1 point and 3 which is what'll worry me - and there will come a time when that is the case.

Just had a look at Iron website, game a sellout no tickets left,  lot of these championship clubs seem to say we're not as big as we think so how come we're the bigest draw of the season for them? these clubs will miss us should we get promoted.

Gol will be all over this thread like a dirty rash.

:D

Really can't see the players enjoying playing at Glanford Park. There's no width at all though, so that's perfect for Hughton's long ball game. Just a shame for Newcastle that Rob Jones has started winning absolutely everything in the air.

Scunthorpe's weakest position is right back, so Jonas needs to play. Jonas vs Cliff Byrne is no contest tbh.

The main thing in Newcastle's favour is that they're not going to take anyone lightly anymore, following the last 3 games. I think if they go into the game thinking they'll walk right through Scunny they're in for a massive shock. O'Connor, McCann, Togwell and Wright are a much better midfield than Guthrie, Smith, Nolan and Lovenkrands.

Newcastle will tear Scunny apart at home, but it's anyone's game on Tuesday.

Just had a look at Iron website, game a sellout no tickets left,  lot of these championship clubs seem to say we're not as big as we think so how come we're the bigest draw of the season for them? these clubs will miss us should we get promoted.

To be fair, last time Scunny were in the Championship, most games were sellouts. They (we ;)) were a league two club a few years back.

Never understood this "dont take them lightly" talk. Man united & Chelsea's players likely take near every side they play in the league lightly & expect to win. Thats the mentality you need when you're better than everyone else. You dont go into it worrying that the oppositions better than you expect. You think that you'll piss all over them & then you do it. They need to be confident in their own ability being better than everyone elses.