Scunthorpe vs Newcastle United - Pre-Match thread - 20/10/09, 7:45 KO

Ash

no effort, honestly the bias is incredible man.

Ask most people and they'd say Carroll at least put more effort in than Harewood, I realise putting effort in means more than chasing down balls but ignoring the ball two yards away is inexcusable. 

Hardly incredible bias, which is a bit rich coming from you.

Harewood has started 2 games and some have already made their decision about him but it took him less than half an hour on the pitch to get half of what Carroll has managed all season. Personally I don't care if chased down every ball or walks around hands on hips, so long as he gets on the end of chances. Does he? The jury is still out and so it should be.

Guest Stephen927

I don't think Harewood has played competitive football for months before moving here, no surprise he's a little rusty and off the pace.

I don't think Harewood has played competitive football for months before moving here, no surprise he's a little rusty and off the pace.

I hope that's the reason for his apparent lack of effort, but it makes you wonder why he had a row with the coaches if that's all it was? Everyone was saying the same thing about Lovenkrands when he arrived but nearly two months later he's still putting in half-arsed performances.

I can't see this being an easy game. Scunny will be up for it, a load of one game wonders will pack the stadium, all 9500 of it, and they'll be bouyed by their win over Sheff Utd on saturday. With our current form and the players out injured I can see it being another draw, or at best a scrappy 2-1 win. Anyone who reckons we'll trounce them has more confidence than I have in the team.

For the record, I was unimpressed with Harewood even before we signed him. I just didn't see it working out and as yet haven't seen owt to make me change my mind. He isn't the player he was 3 or 4 years ago. Maybe it's lack of games and he will come good but can we afford to keep dropping points while we wait for him to get match fit?? Same goes for Lovenkrands IMO. Start Ranger and Carroll up top and Jonas on the left.

Harewood has started 2 games and some have already made their decision about him but it took him less than half an hour on the pitch to get half of what Carroll has managed all season. Personally I don't care if chased down every ball or walks around hands on hips, so long as he gets on the end of chances. Does he? The jury is still out and so it should be.

I'm more concerned about the sitter he missed than his effort, although I found him to be as annoying as fuck on Saturday. You can get away with a style that doesn't look like you're trying if you're actually playing well, if you're not it will cause people to get on your back. Ultimately, when the chips are down the fans want you working your bollocks off to rectify the situation.

Guest Stephen927

I'd go with Harewood and Lovenkrands up front.

You crazy fool, do you want to lose again, got to be Carrol and Ranger for me, don't think its a coincidence we can't score since they stopped playing together.  Ranger creates so much space with his running

I'll compromise. Ranger and Harewood.

You crazy fool, do you want to lose again, got to be Carrol and Ranger for me, don't think its a coincidence we can't score since they stopped playing together.  Ranger creates so much space with his running

is what i'd go for

is what i'd go for

I'd prefer Ranger up top on his own with Nolan just off tbh, don't know if we have the midfield for it atm though.

is what i'd go for

I would agree, but I'm not going to. Sick of having two target men up top, this long ball shit is giving me neck ache! Get Loven' up there and start playing some through balls instead of all this long ball flick on shite!

is what i'd go for

I would agree, but I'm not going to. Sick of having two target men up top, this long ball s*** is giving me neck ache! Get Loven' up there and start playing some through balls instead of all this long ball flick on s****!

Since when is Marlon Harewood a target man?

If we can get Raylor and Gutierrez on either flank we might see a bit of balance and width.

If Colo and Saylor are out then that forces Raylor to right back and Guthrie out wide and then the shape disappears.

Either way we should be beating this lot, no excuses. I'd go with Ranger and Harewood or Loven up front.

Geremi and R Taylor should play on the right side, don't particularly care which one is where.

I concur, we need more width.  I'd go.

Harper

Raylor        Simpson            Khiz        Jose

Geremi          Smith            Guthrie    Jonas

Nolan

Ranger

Will never happen though.