Our Last FIVE Extremely Poor Performances

Crumpy Gunt

Like someone said on MOTD2 last night , when you play bad and win then your onto a winner. . .

Which is what we've been doing all season, now were playing bad drawing at home and losing away.

They starred the season with desire and determination now they have gone back to how they were last season, playing like they don't give a fuck and like they expect it to be easy to win games.

Seems this way to me. Dunno if it's lack of confidence or just bad attitude. I hate to say it, but a Keegan-esque coach would probably help a lot at this time.

Harewood's ball retention was shocking and Andy Carroll's wasn't much better. People were moaning about Ranger's lack of goals, but he held the ball up well when he played and we are missing that now imo.

They starred the season with desire and determination now they have gone back to how they were last season, playing like they don't give a f*** and like they expect it to be easy to win games.

Seems this way to me. Dunno if it's lack of confidence or just bad attitude. I hate to say it, but a Keegan-esque coach would probably help a lot at this time.

they've just lost the ability to pass and move and seemed to go back to just booting it up the pitch and hope for the best, which simply hasnt and will not work. but i dont see what can be done about it, the midfield have been woefull the past few games but on paper its the only place where we have talent and if their not working then the team falls apart. i think already our team is looking way too thin and cracks are already starting to show, we had 3 right backs on the pitch on saturday,3 central midfielders ( although it was quite easy to forget about nolan) and 3 strikers, so we ended up with a team that had 4 people out of poistion ( as long as you allow Raylor to be called a right back)

So far Harewood is having the same effect on the team as Nicky Butt had last season. With him in the team, it's like we've been playing with 10 men against a team of 12. We get nothing from his position, whilst on the other hand he's constantly winning the ball for them and breaking up our play.

Still time for things to change though. Noone would have guessed that Ameobi would be a pretty good striker at this level.

They starred the season with desire and determination now they have gone back to how they were last season, playing like they don't give a f*** and like they expect it to be easy to win games.

they've just lost the ability to pass and move and seemed to go back to just booting it up the pitch and hope for the best, which simply hasnt and will not work. but i dont see what can be done about it, the midfield have been woefull the past few games but on paper its the only place where we have talent and if their not working then the team falls apart. i think already our team is looking way too thin and cracks are already starting to show, we had 3 right backs on the pitch on saturday,3 central midfielders ( although it was quite easy to forget about nolan) and 3 strikers, so we ended up with a team that had 4 people out of poistion ( as long as you allow Raylor to be called a right back)

Imo, a passing game is based on confidence. If you don't have it, then you're liable to hump long balls up the pitch. I don't think we've had that kind of self-belief for about four years, or more.

I think have your wingers as a CM and a striker don't help, Jonas gets shit but at least he runs at the defence at least he drives the team forward, Loven looks like he does not want to be ont he pithc unless its upfront, Guthrie drifts in all the time. So the ball just gets hoofed up to two players who cannot hold the ball up.

Hughton had a lucky start to the seeason and we went top not through great form or great performances but its gone to their heads, now we have dropped down to 2nd again lets hope its a wake up call for players and coach.

I think have your wingers as a CM and a striker don't help, Jonas gets shit but at least he runs at the defence at least he drives the team forward, Loven looks like he does not want to be ont he pithc unless its upfront, Guthrie drifts in all the time. So the ball just gets hoofed up to two players who cannot hold the ball up.

Hughton had a lucky start to the seeason and we went top not through great form or great performances but its gone to their heads, now we have dropped down to 2nd again lets hope its a wake up call for players and coach.

Also, we're a very one-paced team at the minute, which isn't helping much. If I'm a centre-half, there's no one in our side who would scare me if they were running at me.

Imo, a passing game is based on confidence. If you don't have it, then you're liable to hump long balls up the pitch. I don't think we've had that kind of self-belief for about four years, or more.

Our squad is the highest paid in the division, we are playing against second rate footballers now...if we still suffer from lack of confidence even at this level I give up.

We need Ryan Taylor & Jonas on the wings, Colo & Tayls at CB with Simo & Jose at fullback.

CM 100% Smith as Captain its a toss up between Nolan & Guthrie to partner him, Guthrie is more mobile and can pass the ball but Nolan is chipping in with goals and goals win games, as for our strikers we need Shola back but who alongside him? do we drop 3 contracted players for a 3 month loan player? or do we partner Shola with one of our young talents? for me is would be Ranger but I gyess Loven would be who Hughton would go for.

I thought Harewood would be an excellent loan signing under the circumstances, someone to bring pace to the front line, and someone who will turn and have a dig now and again as opposed to playing with his back to goal all day (a la Carroll or Ranger).

But on the evidence so far he really needs to sort himself out because everything about his game has looked poor. He's always had a dodgy first touch and wayward finishing, but against Forest he was lacking in even the basics like positioning. He looked well off the pace.

It could be that he's returning from a long absence and needs some time. It could also be that the rest of the team have been poor in the last few games too. It could even be that teams have just found us out, that our only winger was on the bench and we'd have to launch it Carroll all day. Or it could just be that our luck has run out and we're being found out for the average team we are.

I fear most of all that it's the latter. They say it's a measure of a team to win playing badly, but it's nonsense. We were winning playing badly and now we're losing playing badly. What it has in common is we've been playing badly all season and it'll get worse as the squad gets stretched. The simple truth is we need new players. They weren't signed and we will have to try and loan them in.

We need Ryan Taylor & Jonas on the wings, Colo & Tayls at CB with Simo & Jose at fullback.

CM 100% Smith as Captain its a toss up between Nolan & Guthrie to partner him, Guthrie is more mobile and can pass the ball but Nolan is chipping in with goals and goals win games, as for our strikers we need Shola back but who alongside him? do we drop 3 contracted players for a 3 month loan player? or do we partner Shola with one of our young talents? for me is would be Ranger but I gyess Loven would be who Hughton would go for.

When our whole squad is fit (ie never) I think you've pretty much summed up our best XI on this season's form.

That last striking spot, I'd probably give to Ranger. He doesn't look a goal threat yet but he gets all the basics right, as Tron says he holds the ball up well and brings something to the team. That's a lot more than can be said for Lovenkrands or Harewood so far. I also think Carroll's presence encourages a long ball game which is causing us to bypass the midfield and keep giving the ball away with hopeful punts upfield. Carroll may have a 'good touch for a big man' but he doesn't do an awful lot with it. Ranger looks the better footballer to me and in a team that keeps giving the ball away I'd be tempted to put Ranger back in. You get the feeling goals will come for him and when they do his confidence will grow massively.