candidates for a new defender

Guest alexharrisonnufc

Bridge for sure and Distin if possible. The likes of Upson would be ok. Even though relegated B'ham were tight defensively.

From memory Distin was on loan to us and was GOOD. He desperately wanted to stay but his club kept upping the price to , I think 4.5 - 5 million. We lost interest. Which for a European back was excessive.

Bridge was , at one time holder of the longest stretch of consecutive games played without injury.

Woodgate has at least another 12 months before he will be free of injury.

Guest geordieracer

lets be honest we are relegation candidates with a shit manager

bridge - most teams in the prem will want him, will be extremely hard to get him to come here, as, if i was him i would rather come in every so often for the best team in europe than go to someone who could get relegated

upson - i thnik hes good enough for us, more than, and would be a quality defender for anyone outside the top 5, but we could only get him at the end of the season, if we stay up, because birmingham will get promoted, so he isn't going to leave for us if we are candidates to go down, it would make no sence for him

Fuck defenders, lets buy another striker or midfielder!

Unfortunately thats exactly whats going to happen in January with clueless mk2 in charge.

Realistically I don't think we'll get Bridge, or Distin or Upson. Volz, maybe.

From memory Distin was on loan to us and was GOOD.

From memory Aaron Hughes was a godsend compared to Carr

Guest AceDeuce

Phillipe Mexes.

David Navarro.

Wayne Bridge.

Matty Upson.

Jesus Christ.

Any of em will do.

Nah, no pace. Runs like he's got nails in his feet...

shit at crosses

damn had a good laugh... :)

lugano is shitty, only thing positive bout him is he can score goals.

Guest Moe-Ali

(Dear Santa, tbh)

I just want a defender who is not only stable, but a joy to watch, and also one who has a chance of success. Not like Boumsong from Scottish league or Titus from Championship football.

A player who we know can perform at the top level of football.

Love,

Moe.

Are Chelsea still willing to let Bridge go?

Matthew Taylor and Paul Scharner

Scharner's being primarily as a midfielder this season so i doubt he's much kop at the back especially considering Wigans defenders aren't worldbeaters.

Perhaps worth making a move for Pressley of Hearts, seems to be ok everytime i've seen him (albeit not too many) and has experience & is a seasoned international. Could do worse than nabbing Hartley & Gordon from them as well.

Guest Toon Wanderer

How about Rob Jones of Hibs? he only moved their in the summer from Grimsby but has already scored four goals from central defence. Cant be any worse than Bramble or Boumsong - and he's a Tyneside lad.

Guest Toon Wanderer

How about Rob Jones of Hibs? he only moved their in the summer from Grimsby but has already scored four goals from central defence. Cant be any worse than Bramble or Boumsong - and he's a Tyneside lad.

You're only suggesting him because he played for Gateshead. ;)

No not really, but at least it shows some Gateshead players have what it takes.

I do think Upson is underrated though. The only problem is injuries.

He would be a disaster as too slow. Even Craig Moore looks like a greyhound beside him. Martis has the pace and covers for him and yes he isn't good enough either. If you want anyone from Hibs it would be the right back Steven Whittaker. Young and already a very accomplished defender. Pretty good going forward as well.

Robbie Nielson from Hearts?

As for a centre-back, I can't see past Distin as a relatively cheap, quality defender.

Have you read the nufc.com match report from Man City?

Something like "Sibierski may have swapped one average club for another, and his fromer team mate Distin might yet do the same.."

Bet the Zog told you that already, given you're now a friend of the players  :p