Stadium naming rights

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's that sort of thing that will eventually lead to other clubs selling the rights to the ground name though. Other big clubs who already have big stadia and don't need to move grounds will eventually start thinking well if other clubs are making £x amount for the name of the ground, why shouldn't we?

So, its not relevant imo what everyone else does.

This is a case about Newcastle United, our club, our identety.

I dont give a flying f*** if Spurs, Everton, Man u whatever club does it, so be it, let em flush down everything that is tradition.

We wont accept it, we are proud of our stadium, and its legacy.

It would simpley be a direct hit at the spine of the club and city.

Cant belive people take so easy on it, just bend over and let Ashley bumfuck the living s*** out of the supporters and club... :facepalm:

unfortunatly that sort of tradition died the day a big blue star appeared on the shirt.

Guest Brummiemag

It's that sort of thing that will eventually lead to other clubs selling the rights to the ground name though. Other big clubs who already have big stadia and don't need to move grounds will eventually start thinking well if other clubs are making £x amount for the name of the ground, why shouldn't we?

I dont give a flying fuck if Spurs, Everton, Man u whatever club does it, so be it, let em flush down everything that is tradition.

Cant belive people take so easy on it, just bend over and let Ashley bumfuck the living shit out of the supporters and club... :facepalm:

Good post - some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing

I dont give a flying f*** if Spurs, Everton, Man u whatever club does it, so be it, let em flush down everything that is tradition.

Cant belive people take so easy on it, just bend over and let Ashley bumfuck the living s*** out of the supporters and club... :facepalm:

unfortunatly that sort of tradition died the day a big blue star appeared on the shirt.

Eh?

Eh?

i don't see a great deal of difference between renaming the stadium and having adverts plastered over the strip.

(in fact the renaming of the stadium, when everyone will still call it by its original name, is probably the lesser of the two evils)

Eh?

i don't see a great deal of difference between renaming the stadium and having adverts plastered over the strip.

(in fact the renaming of the stadium, when everyone will still call it by its original name, is probably the lesser of the two evils)

No, far from, compare it to change the clubs name or relocating.

Are you happy with supporting SportsDirect FC, its no problem right, we just call it Newcastle United.

I liked football a lot more when everything was not just about the money, kind of sad really...

Eh?

I liked football a lot more when everything was not just about the money, kind of sad really...

i think my comparisson is closer and i agree with your other sentiment. unfortunatly football has always been about the money only now it's more cynical.

Eh?

i think my comparisson is closer and i agree with your other sentiment. unfortunatly football has always been about the money only now it's more cynical.

Your comparison is not close at all.

Cannot understnad why ANY NUFC supporter would accept this.

Mirror (McNally) reckon we're going to have the Adidas Arena

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-stadium-name-change-Goodbye-St-James-Park-hello-adidas-Arena-article207491.html

Who could the Ashley source be I wonder ....his lickspittle lambias?

Rewards

The Ashley source added: "Mike has to run the club as a business and at the moment it is probably in a better state than 50 per cent of teams in the Premier League.

Doesn't that give you a nice warm glow while we struggle to beat the likes of Doncaster?

The Toon source said: "Mike recognises what the name St James' Park means to the Newcastle fans and he understands why there is some anger.

He may realise what it means but he doesnt give a flying fuck one of the few things left he can flog. £6m your having a laugh he will sell it for whatever he can get in the end.

Is it any coincidence that these "sources" are always bollocks PR stories?

Look at those two quotes above, they're a desperate attempt at spin to show Ashley in a good light. But they're absolute bollocks, if the club is in such a sound financial state then why does he want to sell the stadium's name? No mention at all of the 40,000+ fans who continue to finance the club week in week out. Apparently being sat in the Championship and losing to Scunthorpe is a "better state" than playing in the Premier League because our running costs are cheaper now.

F*ck me it's absolute drivel. People get paid to write this stuff?

So they could name the stands as they wanted.

How about the adidas Arena at St. James' Park with the Sir Bobby Robson Stand, the Alan Shearer Stand, the Kevin Keegan Stand. and the Mike Ashley is a Cunt Stand

I disagree.

As I was growing up only kids ever wore the strip - I had my last one when I was about 14 - the emergence of sponsorship coincided with the mass sale of adult strips so in my view there was no great tradition to be pissed on - the blue star shirt was the first strip that was ever sold to adults (at least in numbers).

I recognise the need for money to be raised but I just don't understand why so many people just don't feel how wrong the renaming of the ground is at a massively instinctive level. I fully admit that it provides anew edge to my hatred of Ashley but no matter who it was who had tried this (and even a twat like Shepherd realised this) there does have to be a line somewhere.

Of course the ground as it is now is completely unrecognisable from when I first started going such that you could even try and apply the "new ground" argument. What I would say to that is that because the ground retained its name through all of the developments is precisely what strengthened it as a cornerstone of the fabric of the club.

I do agree to some extent with Chez that it may be a diversion but once again I think the imbecile has made another of his crass decisions. To give the fans something to rally around might be just the thing which finally makes a difference even if he doesn't go though with it.

Again I would say its a kind of a character test. My honest view is that if the concept doesn't strike you as very, very wrong then I don't feel you're the same sort of Newcastle fan as me. I'm not saying those people aren't fans or worse fans than me but definitely different and honestly worthy of less respect.