Stadium naming rights

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well Arsenal have a £3m a year deal for example. They have one of the largest match day incomes in Europe and yet still opted to sell the stadium naming rights.

"It obviously depends on the level of sponsorship that someone comes up and offers us," said Mr Edelman. "But it is also linked to whether we feel the sponsor is appropriate to be associated with the club.

"No one in the UK has ever got substantial amounts; maybe less than £1m or possibly £200,000 a year. But it all depends on the level of interest that you get."

All I'm saying WBCP is that you should deem this as a valid means of making money.

Arsenal's example is a million miles away from our situatuion though. There stadium was newly built and hadn't been known as anything other than the Emirates. It's not like they changed the name of Highbury for a wedge of cash is it?

3m a year before the credit crunch - now companies will be more cautious, plus the fact that SJP will still be in the title, you wouldnt think someone will be wanting to offer bucket loads for it would you?

In what way has the name actually changed? Will the signage in the stadium and around town change to reflect the new name? How does the chairman intend to enforce the name change in newspapers, TV and radio given that it's TOO FUCKING LONG?

Really, I've never heard anything like it. It's just the most half-baked idea. How can you change the name of a stadium half-way through a season? You just click your fingers and everyone starts calling it by this stupid new name? Ludicrous. Ultimately, a name is just a label people give something and no one will use this new name: so what meaning does it have?

Must be more than meets the eye, here.

In what way has the name actually changed? Will the signage in the stadium and around town change to reflect the new name? How does the chairman intend to enforce the name change in newspapers, TV and radio given that it's TOO f***ing LONG?

Really, I've never heard anything like it. It's just the most half-baked idea. How can you change the name of a stadium half-way through a season? You just click your fingers and everyone starts calling it by this stupid new name? Ludicrous. Ultimately, a name is just a label people give something and no one will use this new name: so what meaning does it have?

Must be more than meets the eye, here.

Well sky will call it whatever Ashley wants them to call it.  I can just see Stelling now

"Over the The Sportsdirect.com@St James' Park Stadium with Chris Kamara and I hear Sportsdirect at Newcastle United Football Club have conceded a penalty."

The Emirates Stadium, often known simply as the Emirates, (IPA: /ðiːˈɛmərəts/) formerly Ashburton Grove, is a football stadium located in Holloway in the London Borough of Islington and is the current home of Arsenal Football Club.

Someone told me when watching the match on Monday evening that they hated Ashley so much they'd signed the online petition 10 times at work. He must have been pretty patient as the link didn't work when I went to sign it.

Is it worth signing, or is it about as valid as a third world banana republic election result ?

The Emirates Stadium, often known simply as the Emirates, (IPA: /ðiːˈɛmərəts/) formerly Ashburton Grove, is a football stadium located in Holloway in the London Borough of Islington and is the current home of Arsenal Football Club.

Ya but that stadium has no History. It's not like the renamed Highburry

Ya but that stadium has no History. It's not like the renamed Highburry

is it so different from the re-named gallowgate and leazes ends ?

So Arsenal, a perennial 'big four' club who challenge for the Premier League and Champions League titles every year and are sponsored by one of the world's biggest brands make £3m per year out of the naming rights to their spanking new stadium?

Sorry, but for the £500k or so we'd attract I'd rather keep our history.

They just called it that as thats where it was, they were always going to have a sponsor.  How many games where played at Ashburton Grove?

Renaming such an historic Stadium is ludicrous, renaming Highbury, Old Trafford, Anfield would be the most ludicrous decision ever and i put renaming St James' Park in that bracket!

Also it's fair enough imo to rename new stadia, you aren't removing any identity that is already there and for the money on offer renaming some stadium it is well worth it and finances a high percentage of the build!

Imagine if they did this to Wembley. Understandably and quite rightly the nation would go mental

What about the most traditional cup competition in the world...the E:on sponsored FA Cup (or at least was). Can't remember much fuss over that.

And the....Barclays Premier League!