Sports Direct

Guest neesy111
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest jonlane86

I'm I assuming this will be called the Sports-Direct.com stand soon?  And not the Gallowgate end which is should f***ing be!!!

ain't it officially the newcastle brown stand?

I think this is my point on the whole issue.  Until a few years ago the Gallowgate's official name was the "Newcastle Brown Ale South Stand", not one fan had an issue with it or called it that.  They always refer to it as the Gallowgate.

St James' Park will always be St James' Park regardless of what advertising, signs or press releases say.  All that matters is what the fans call it, if Mike and Del boy can get more money out of flogging naming rights I couldn't care less as long as any profits go towards the club.  Kicking up a fuss about it will just give sd.com more publicity in the short term and knack the chances of any other company buying the rights and giving the club/squad/wages more funds.

Apparently Valley Parade is officially called "The Crown Windows Stadium".  There is a perfect example of a brand not affecting the heritage of the club.  It's like dealing with bullying, if you give a reaction the press lap it up and everyone is screwed over, if you don't react stuff might happen but who cares.  It will always be St James' Park to the people who matter.

Guest jonlane86

So if its not visible, why plonk it on the roof???

Surely if you want to advertise space you would have the space visible to a large part of the city??

Its simply a publicity stunt to get the company name out there. It may look s**** and piss many people off, and even though it is placed on top of the roof out of sight bar one day a fortnight, it has gained both local and national news columns ... let alone 50+ pages on here. Its the same as Big Brother placing total fuckwits into the house or the judges picking people like Jedward on X-Factor, if you get people talking about it, your promotion has worked.

This

I'm I assuming this will be called the Sports-Direct.com stand soon?  And not the Gallowgate end which is should f***ing be!!!

ain't it officially the newcastle brown stand?

I think this is my point on the whole issue.  Until a few years ago the Gallowgate's official name was the "Newcastle Brown Ale South Stand", not one fan had an issue with it or called it that.  They always refer to it as the Gallowgate.

St James' Park will always be St James' Park regardless of what advertising, signs or press releases say.  All that matters is what the fans call it, if Mike and Del boy can get more money out of flogging naming rights I couldn't care less as long as any profits go towards the club.  Kicking up a fuss about it will just give sd.com more publicity in the short term and knack the chances of any other company buying the rights and giving the club/squad/wages more funds.

Apparently Valley Parade is officially called "The Crown Windows Stadium".  There is a perfect example of a brand not affecting the heritage of the club.  It's like dealing with bullying, if you give a reaction the press lap it up and everyone is screwed over, if you don't react stuff might happen but who cares.  It will always be St James' Park to the people who matter.

You just happy to let people walk all over you.  Nice.

:dowie:

I'm just waiting to see what happens next and after that.

Guest Haris Vuckic
Still, the end is in sight for the roof ad already...one of the terms of usage for SJP as a 2012 Olympic venue is that no commercial advertising can be displayed that either spectators or TV viewers can see. However it'll probably have blown off by then, or proved to be faulty. Hope they've kept the receipt.... 

2 years brothers. Two years and into the breach we march.

Yup - no such thing as 'bad publicity'.

I reckon he's done this for two reasons - because he can and also to antagonize the supporters who have given him so much grief over the last 2 years. Why put it on the Gallowgate? Because everyone in Level 7 can see it - that's why.

:cheesy:

Guest thenorthumbrian

Surely if you want to advertise space you would have the space visible to a large part of the city??

Its simply a publicity stunt to get the company name out there. It may look s**** and piss many people off, and even though it is placed on top of the roof out of sight bar one day a fortnight, it has gained both local and national news columns ... let alone 50+ pages on here. Its the same as Big Brother placing total fuckwits into the house or the judges picking people like Jedward on X-Factor, if you get people talking about it, your promotion has worked.

This

So lets just be docile and take it the rear from Ashley.

This

As opposed to what?  What exactly do you intend to do to get rid of the signs?

This

No, but since the whole 'Sportsdirect@StJamesPark' thing was announced and the intial piss taking from the media subsided (including BBC, Sky and ITV refusing to call it by that), where have you heard it called anything but SJP apart from forum pages? Even the official site doesn't use it. The Gallowgate roof may have a new and questionable paint job but as the previous sponsorship from Newcastle Brown Ale showed, the Gallowgate will always be the Gallowgate, and SJP will always remain SJP.

If Ashley had given the go ahead for a solid Sports Direct sign to be erected infront of the goal we were attacking, I'd be slightly more annoyed, but he hasn't. At the end of the day, paint on the roof is exactly that, simply paint on a roof.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

At the end of the day, paint on the roof is exactly that, simply paint on a roof.

Nonsense, man. It is the complete and utter destruction of everything the club stands for, and an unforgivable affront to all Geordie helicopter pilots.

:lol:

f*** me! Half you muppets have a go at people annoyed about their stadium being made to look horrific with the mantra "just support the team" then go on about how you can't get the f***ing internet while at the f***ing ground!

;D

The truth is The Fat Cockney b****** is pissing all over the clubs history.

how ?

We have a good modern stadium which has been on the same site for generations.

It means something to people its a real landmark for the city and to have it turned into a glorified advertising hoarding for Ashleys cheap and tacky supplier to the charva nation is pissing on the clubs history.

You are totally overreacting !

Takes one to know one. :lol:

Poor Ozzie is a long way from Newcastle & his heart has lost the emotional part of football. Supporting NUFC is merely point scoring exercise against "hysterical fans" or NE5 on here.

:thup:

It's quite sad really.

f*** me! Half you muppets have a go at people annoyed about their stadium being made to look horrific with the mantra "just support the team" then go on about how you can't get the f***ing internet while at the f***ing ground!

;D

The truth is The Fat Cockney b****** is pissing all over the clubs history.

how ?

We have a good modern stadium which has been on the same site for generations.

It means something to people its a real landmark for the city and to have it turned into a glorified advertising hoarding for Ashleys cheap and tacky supplier to the charva nation is pissing on the clubs history.

You are totally overreacting !

Takes one to know one. :lol:

Poor Ozzie is a long way from Newcastle & his heart has lost the emotional part of football. Supporting NUFC is merely point scoring exercise against "hysterical fans" or NE5 on here.

:thup:

It's quite sad really.

He has no soul.

Its not just what he's done to the gallowgate roof,  have you seen the photo on .com's match report with the main entrance now looking like your walking into his shop not a football stadium.

http://www.nufc.com/2010-11images/2010-10-16sd-ad.jpg

this?  this isn't the main entrance

the thing is, this is all meant to be a marketing ploy.  It doesn't make me want to go into his shop any more than I have in the past, having seen its name plastered everywhere.  Perhaps if he got rid of half the s**** they sell in there, making it less cluttered, tidied them up a bit, put all the staff they currently employ on the dole, hiring a group of people with more than one brain cell that could operate a till competently, I might go in.  Until this, he can tattoo Sports Direct on his knob and dance naked in front of me waving his arms about and it'll still not make me want to go in.

the thing is, this is all meant to be a marketing ploy.  It doesn't make me want to go into his shop any more than I have in the past, having seen its name plastered everywhere.  Perhaps if he got rid of half the s**** they sell in there, making it less cluttered, tidied them up a bit, put all the staff they currently employ on the dole, hiring a group of people with more than one brain cell that could operate a till competently, I might go in.  Until this, he can tattoo Sports Direct on his knob and dance naked in front of me waving his arms about and it'll still not make me want to go in.

clearly you're not a target audience of a big fuck-off roof advert then

clearly you're not a target audience of a big f***-off roof advert then

Nope, hence why I don't understand the stupid cunt's idea to do it.

Nope, hence why I don't understand the stupid cunt's idea to do it.

some of the theories on here man crack me up..."to piss off the fans" etc.  :lol:

i'm sure he'll take lessons in selling from you.

Nope, hence why I don't understand the stupid c***'s idea to do it.

some of the theories on here man crack me up..."to piss off the fans" etc.  :lol:

I wasn't implying it was done to piss of the fans.  Merely that advertising like that has no effect on me.  Having the SD logo on the roof isn't going to make me want to go there, and I'd imagine its similar with most of our fans.  We all know what SD is, where it is and we'll go if we want to.  Similar to the advertising hoardings around the pitch.  Never once have I been sat watching the game, looked across and thought, 'You know what? I need to get some Carlube'.

not saying I know better.  He's the one that has made a fortune piling high and selling cheap, but its a fucking nightmare in there and is offputting.

Nope, hence why I don't understand the stupid c***'s idea to do it.

I wasn't implying it was done to piss of the fans.  Merely that advertising like that has no effect on me.  Having the SD logo on the roof isn't going to make me want to go there, and I'd imagine its similar with most of our fans.  We all know what SD is, where it is and we'll go if we want to.  Similar to the advertising hoardings around the pitch.  Never once have I been sat watching the game, looked across and thought, 'You know what? I need to get some Carlube'.

not saying I know better.  He's the one that has made a fortune piling high and selling cheap, but its a f***ing nightmare in there and is offputting.

it's handy for tracksuit bottoms and kids gear (got air max's there for the elder much cheaper than elsewhere). i'm prepared for it not to be a lovely experience to save money.