Sports Direct

Guest neesy111
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Maybe potential advertisers just weren't impressed enough with what was already there and this will spur them on

Positive spin ha, theres no way he'll flog the advertising rights, Sports direct is absolutely everywhere in st james'.

Everywhere!!! Its just not necessary now

Actually I'm wrong, it's the stadium naming rights they're trying to sell

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/nov/04/newcastle-united-naming-stadium-rights

Might all still be bollocks though

I know its an old article. But this Lambias quote man...

"In our reign, absolutely, it's just adding to the name. If this brings in a good chunk of money to the club, that goes straight to the team, so it's a revenue we should look at."

Straight to the team? Aye areet then

How long ago was it since they announced trying to sell the naming rights.  Obviously there has been no interest unless they intended it to be SP@SJP all along. 

Bit by bit, they are destroying our heritage and as I have said before, the longer they stay and the more they continue to alienate supporters in a one town club where most of the supporters are based, the more irrepairable the damage will be.

:lol: Clearly not true. They're not insane enough to it surely?! Aww christ it's all going to kick off if they do.

Anyone seen the Metro one he's on about?

Guest thenorthumbrian

I don't know who is more brainless, Ashley or Wraith.

Ashley isn't brainless, he's an evil, calculating pile of puss.

Wraith is an imbecile

It would seem to be self-defeating if Ashley is giving Sports Direct free advertising at the expense of charging other advertisers for it. Less money for the club means bigger losses and more that he has to subsidise himself.

But he gets free advertising for his company. Highly valuable advertising at that.

Guest thenorthumbrian

It would seem to be self-defeating if Ashley is giving Sports Direct free advertising at the expense of charging other advertisers for it. Less money for the club means bigger losses and more that he has to subsidise himself.

He subsidises gambling establishments more than he does Newcastle United.

"During the current and prior year, advertising and promotional services were provided to companies associated with Mr MJW Ashley, the ultimate shareholder of the company's parent company, St James' Holdings limited.  No consideration was paid or payable for these services and the cost associated with the services in the prior year was £42,250."

But he gets free advertising for his company. Highly valuable advertising at that.

It's not free. It's at market price, but is a way of reducing tax burdens across different companies.

It's not free. It's at market price, but is a way of reducing tax burdens across different companies.

I've also been fed this rubbish by an Ashley mouthpiece.

Proof please.

"During the current and prior year, advertising and promotional services were provided to companies associated with Mr MJW Ashley, the ultimate shareholder of the company's parent company, St James' Holdings limited.  No consideration was paid or payable for these services and the cost associated with the services in the prior year was £42,250."

Guess £42k isn't that much, I would have thought the highly-visible advertising was worth more than that.

Guess £42k isn't that much, I would have thought the highly-visible advertising was worth more than that.

Isn't that the cost to the club?

Oh, is it? May have missed the point totally then!

What I was wondering is how much we could have got for the advertising on the open market, and if Sports Direct is paying us anything for it.

Manchester City have announced a 10-year agreement with Etihad Airways – the airline owned by the Abu Dhabi government – which includes the immediate renaming of their stadium. The deal, which extends Etihad's shirt sponsorship as well as covering other joint commercial enterprises, could be worth up £100m.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/08/manchester-city-stadium-etihad-airways

What do we have to show from our relationship with Sports Direct... with the exception of its logo being plastered all over our stadium?

Oh, is it? May have missed the point totally then!

What I was wondering is how much we could have got for the advertising on the open market, and if Sports Direct is paying us anything for it.

That extract (presumably from the previous accounts) reads to me that the club provided advertising and promotional services for Ashley's other companies (primarily Sports Direct, surely) and received no money for it. In fact it actually cost the club £42,250 - probably for the planning applications, architect services etc and signage erection itself.

Sure someone will clear this up like, I'm just guessing.

That extract (presumably from the previous accounts) reads to me that the club provided advertising and promotional services for Ashley's other companies (primarily Sports Direct, surely) and received no money for it. In fact it actually cost the club £42,250 - probably for the planning applications, architect services etc and signage erection itself.

Sure someone will clear this up like, I'm just guessing.

Nobody can clear up what we paid the money for but it will probably be for at least some of the things you mention.  The published accounts don't go into enough detail to specify where the money went.  It covers two sets of accounts as it says 'During the current and prior year.'