Teams that don't respect the poppy appeal?

wrightstuff83

Saying wearing a poppy makes you respectful is like saying wearing a Man Utd shirt makes you a born & bred Manc.

No, wearing a poppy says that however you feel about the whole poppy thing, you'll do it because you have no wish to insult the memory of those who gave.

Not wearing one is your choice. But not wearing one isn't "noble" in any way whatever either.

Deliberatly NOT wearing one - on TV Only remember - solely to impress a loud mothed self-important minority is far worse though.

Does the fact he doesn't wear an aids ribbon on air mean that he's doing it solely to impress people who think that there are too many aids campaigns like?

Especially if he wears one off air and takes it off before a report.

Then why is he deliberatly avoiding wearing one ON the day ?

FFS man - it's so bloody obvious, he mouths off in defence of his action, and trys to cover his back and makes an absolute mess.

I think his reasons, that he always wears one off screen, that he gets lots of requests to wear one thing or another to support all kinds of causes and he prefers not to wear any symbols at all when he's presenting is a fairly reasonable one.  People are free to disagree with it, but I think characterising him as if he's some kind of monster for it kind of proves his point.

Fair point, but it still comes down to - why ?

Its petty and however I look at it, he seems to be doing it to appease certain people.

Which is repugnant, when you consider how it offended far more.

why ?

maybe because he was told he had to wear it which demeans the whole ethos of it.

Does the fact he doesn't wear an aids ribbon on air mean that he's doing it solely to impress people who think that there are too many aids campaigns like?

Do we have an "aids day" or not ?

There was an interesting prog on the telly once, when they said aids charities got more cash from donations and shows than ALL other charities combined. (I admit, I found this difficult to accept) Further, it got more dedicated cash from governments than all other diseases combined too. (This I didn't) Five years or so ago.

Never saw that prog again.

Touched somebody's nerve clearly.

Wonder if that person was wearing a poppy ?  ;D

And Madras - why, if he was wearing it OFF screen was it so difficult to wear ON ?

Yes, World AIDS Day, 1st of December.

There was an interesting prog on the telly once, when they said aids charities got more cash from donations and shows than ALL other charities combined. Further, it got more dedicated cash from governments than all other diseases combined too. Five years or so ago.

Wonder if that person was wearing a poppy ?

And Madras - why, if he was wearing it OFF screen was it so difficult to wear ON ?

it's not difficuilt but it is his choice if he is being told to do it and he feels it demeans it.

i wear a poppy, if my boss told me i had to i'd tell him to sod off.

oh and just to be clear...not wearing one is not disrespecting it.

Is there a world breast cancer day ?

Is there ANY cancer day ?

And if NOT so, why ?

Which kills more cancer or aids ?

There was an interesting prog on the telly once, when they said aids charities got more cash from donations and shows than ALL other charities combined. Further, it got more dedicated cash from governments than all other diseases combined too. Five years or so ago.

it's not difficuilt but it is his choice if he is being told to do it and he feels it demeans it.

Surely.

But you are not a telly frontman either, are you ?

And if NOT so, why ?

I don't think it's a competition. I'm pretty sure that diahorrea kills more children in Africa than anything else but I don't know of a day for that.

Surely.

But you are not a telly frontman either, are you ?

whats the difference ?. it's the fact of being told to do it.

would you rather he wore it but only because he had to or didn't wear it because to do so in those circumstances would demean it ?

And if NOT so, why ?

I don't think it's a competition. I'm pretty sure that diahorrea kills more children in Africa than anything else but I don't know of a day for that.

Some believe it IS a competition.

Otherwise the AIDS organizers would be happy to share out their monies.

They're not.

And if NOT so, why ?

Yes, Breast Cancer Awareness day is 30th of October.  Various other types of cancers have an awareness day, sometimes an international one or sometimes varying by country.

What I'm trying to ask is if not wearing a pink, red or blue ribbon on air on that day is as much of a statement as wearing one, implying that you're making a point about some kind of disagreement with the campaign.

And if NOT so, why ?

Some believe it IS a competition.

Otherwise the AIDS organizers would be happy to share out their monies.

They're not.

does that mean all charities should pool their cash with the most given to that with most deaths ?

would you rather he wore it but only because he had to or didn't wear it because to do so in those circumstances would demean it ?

Eh ? ? ?

Whats the difference ?

Do YOU get watched by millions or not ?

Would he wear an aids badge on "World Aids Day" or whatever ?

Of course.

So if he did THAT on screen, why all of a sudden a refusal for a poppy ?

does that mean all charities should pool their cash with the most given to that with most deaths ?

Why is that wrong ?

SURELY to God, the most important and most deserving is the ones most at risk, not the one that appeals most to celebrities ?

Eh ? ? ?

Whats the difference ?

Of course.

He doesn't. That's the point....

Eh ? ? ?

Whats the difference ?

Of course.

you'll find he said that he gets asked to wear stuff like that but refuses.

i trust your next question will be to ask why, in light of that, are peole only bothered about his refusal to wear a poppy on screen and not a pink ribbon etc. ?

Phil, are you serious? I mean: are you joking?

Why should wondering at the pettiness of a man I had previously respected, and found myself highly disappointed by said pettiness be a joke ?

Eh ? ? ?

Whats the difference ?

Of course.

you'll find he said that he gets asked to wear stuff like that but refuses.

If that is so, then THAT explains a lot.

However, excuse me for being sceptical, and will be interested when said "World Aids Day" comes around.

Of course.

No, he doesn't.  If you actually read his reasoning you'd have seen he won't wear any symbols on screen.

Well, i will be interested to see if he sticks by that, and proof of the pudding and all that ! ;)

Phil, are you serious? I mean: are you joking?

Why should wondering at the pettiness of a man I had previously respected, and found myself highly disappointed by said pettiness be a joke ?

I dunno. Perhaps because your posts sound like output of some Daily Mail Reader AI program.